NEO GEO HISTORY

ChrisB

Another Striker
Perhaps a little update regarding the Neo X is warranted.

Something like: "In 2012 it was revealed that SNKP had whored out the Neo license to Tommo, who in late December sharted out the Neo Geo X. It was the first time the Neo departed from bringing an arcade experience home. Fans were treated to cheap hardware running an early dev version of an emulator violating it's licensing agreement. Instead of an arcade quality experience, buyers were greated with frame skipping, screen tearing, and sound issues."

LOL :) feel the love the neo-geo X

Blondin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
More articles available now! X-RGB 3, SNK before the Neo, Neo Geo as seen by a girl, Fatal Fury and Metal Slug sagas, plus various guides.... Check all articles in english right here:
http://www.neogeokult.com/articles-us/

The last translations missing are coming soon!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
i like clicking through your pages. Some of the articles are actually well written and fun to read.

Blondin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks!

I'm looking for sharing as much as possible NGK with english and us people, as the site is now available in this language... If anyone can link or recommend me some forum or sites to share, you're welcome! :multi_co:

Great read. As someone who recently rediscovered the Neo, I really enjoyed the history. The screenshots were a nice touch too

grigri

n00b
Original always better than the (shameless, stinky, filthy, lame and pathetic) copy. :)

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I liked the note at the end regarding whether or not the system stands the test of time in terms of newer players finding it interesting. I think the answer to that one is a resounding "yes" Indeed this is the problem for collectors, as the demand, when you include newer gamers, for the system outstrips supply now.

Regarding the timing of the debut of the Neo Geo, does anyone know when the system was released in hotels? Did it appear there first, or in arcades and home version first? I notice that my copy of Magician Lord seems to have instructions more suited to hotels than later game releases were, so it got me to wondering.

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Regarding the timing of the debut of the Neo Geo, does anyone know when the system was released in hotels? Did it appear there first, or in arcades and home version first? I notice that my copy of Magician Lord seems to have instructions more suited to hotels than later game releases were, so it got me to wondering.

Here some info:

The AES system has been released for rental (end user) since 20 April '90. I somehow doubt AES (home) was used in Hotels, for many practical reasons, but if it was the case, only one-type of instruction set was anyway available (no rental AES two version manual, except from minor changes, like life bar, tied to ROM revision rather than use)

The Hotel Unit (Deck or RAS, Room Amusement System) was a MVS-derived, basically a coin-operated one-slot, with joysticks and RGB/RF/S-Video+ stereo outputs.
Mini marquees where the only instructions given in the room (you needed to ask the staff for a game change).
Considering the data I collected about Deck units (BIOS copyright, maintenance stamps etc..), it is safe to date it around '92/93.

As a note, the "kidney" joystick made it's first appearance in such device, before NGCD debut, hence the original NGCD Joystick molding derives actually from Deck units.

Anyway, please post the details you see more suited for hotels, it would be interesting to dig!

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Here some info:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like they merely released them for the different environments in the same month. Oh well, I was sort of hoping for some earlier release time for hotel units or something intriguing in the history like that.

As for how the instructions for early AES carts may have been less like later ones, I just meant that the instructions booklet says things like "This product can only be used on the Neo Geo RENTAL SYSTEM" and so on (emphasis mine). Also, there's instructions on the cart case itself, which you don't see later on. I assumed this meant the hotel units with the reference to rental, but since they released hotel units at around the same time as the others, I guess they actually meant rental units for the home, not necessarily ones for hotels, after all. My mistake.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
Great little article .. Gonna share this with some of my current generation youngster gamer friends .. Thanks for sharing and great work with the English translation ...

Blondin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks too for sharing the article, and especially with 'new' players! The site have many other articles available in english too, as well as the guides, versus and of course the reviews...

Blondin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've got some good news for non-french readers, as Neo Geo Kult is now totally translated in english! You can now directly access all articles, reviews, versus and other features just by clicking on any link from the homepage.

The increasing number of international visitors made me choose to focus with english and keep french as a secondary language.

Well, the latest translated articles were the bigger ones, here are the links for those who did'nt knew them:

- http://www.neogeokult.com/articles-us/beat-them-up-through-ages/

- http://www.neogeokult.com/articles-us/shoot-them-up-through-ages/

- http://www.neogeokult.com/articles-us/versus-fighting-through-ages/

Have a nice tour, hope you'll enjoy these lines!

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Nice work mate... it has been good to have a European price guide to look at.
:D

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'd totally pay 180 Euros for a Pleasuregoal full kit. Any takers? XD

wildo2ne

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Just finished reading, awsome article that answered a lot of questions I had about the system.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I'm at work so I may not be able to read the article, but the website itself looks damn good. Good job NeoGeoKult. Can't wait to read.

Blondin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for the commentaries... Hope you'll enjoy all the other content of the site ;)

By the way, we're still welcoming collections in our eponymous section, so feel free to send us some pictures with your pseudo to create your own collection page --> contact@neogeokult.com

PS: Gunlord review coming next month!

Neo Geo Leo

4" Chinaman Slave, ,
Just read the history part. Nice read and great little tribute. It's definitely the large sprites, great music that got me hooked. Which easily forced me to buy an AES years later. I loved the fact you could always hear that Neo Geo jingle in the arcades - no matter how loud, or how many other cabs were in the arcade, you could always hear the Geo jingle in the background. It was like an SNK subconscious mind trick which was saying "I'm still here, play me!" :-)