My Launch Day Xbox 360 Finally Red Ringed

BC_Gambit

Beni,
I know a more surprising thread title would be that my well played 360 was still working, but hey.

I was looking for the last "cursed" thread where people posted (including me) that their 360's were still working, and their 360's started dying, but could not find it.

I figure my 360 didn't owe me anything, after being used as my primary DVD/HD DVD / Gaming system for the last 2.5 years, but if I get a new one for free I'll happily take it.

Beware the (red) ring. If you post in this thread, your 360 will die 7 days later...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
What's the major cause of these failures? Overheating? I haven't really read into the RRoD as I have no intention of ever getting a 360 so please enlighten me...

BC_Gambit

Beni,
What's the major cause of these failures? Overheating? I haven't really read into the RRoD as I have no intention of ever getting a 360 so please enlighten me...

Overheating is the problem, cooking the components (GPU especially, if i remember correctly) inside.

Within days of first purchasing the 360 I named it the "inferno box". I originally closed the cabinet door in the entertainment center where it was.

Very soon after purchasing it, I maximised the airflow around the 360 (with the door closed, the entertainment center became super hot, and the 360 itself could probably burn you if you made an effort to do so).

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member

The CPU and GPU put off a ton of heat and are not properly cooled. In addition, the clamps for the heat sinks put stress on the solder joints between the chip and motherboard. This causes the crappy RoHS-compliant solder to gradually melt and lose connection / short circuit. This leads to the RRoD when the southbridge (?) notices that it's the only chip not eaten.

The DVD problems are a side effect. They crammed the (plastic) DVD stuff right above the (incredibly hot) GPU heatsink.

Effectively, this thing's a SCPH-1001 and a BGA reflow oven in one small unit.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Have they fixed this in the newer units? Seems like crap design to me, is there any aftermarket cooling "systems" available to pump better airflow into the unit?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Have they fixed this in the newer units? Seems like crap design to me, is there any aftermarket cooling "systems" available to pump better airflow into the unit?

Xbox 360 Hardware Revisions

It had been reported that there are three motherboards for the Xbox 360 in development: Jasper, Opus and Valhalla.

The "Opus" Xbox 360 motherboard is a revision of the Falcon motherboard designed for the older models of the Xbox 360 - the ones which lack the HDMI port. It implements a 65nm CPU into consoles which are sent to Microsoft for repair.

The "Jasper" Xbox 360 motherboard will include both a 65nm CPU and GPU, as opposed to the Falcon motherboard (currently in the market), which has a 65nm CPU but not a 65nm GPU. This revision will further reduce heat generated from the processors, and is scheduled to be in production in August 2008.

The "Valhalla" Xbox 360 motherboard is reported to include a CPU and GPU unified into one chip, which will be manufactured at the 65nm process. This revision will reduce production costs, as only one chip will be manufactured rather than two individual chips, and a simpler cooling system will be utilized.

Even if the issues are resolved, the damage is already done for a lot of us.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I RRoD over the weekend. Not a launch console, but not terribly long afterwards (Jan 2006 manufacture date).

I had pretty much zero warning signs before I RRoDed which is the frustrating thing I guess. It wasn't a slow progression towards failure...it was all at once.

We never got to say goodbye ...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Even if the issues are resolved, the damage is already done for a lot of us.

Which is unfortunate.

They've completely alienated a lot of customers.

I've got a newer HDMI 360, so hopefully it wont crap out anytime soon.

I know several peoples whose launch and early manufacture 360s have crapped out though, sucks for sure.

I'm definitely weary of Microsoft's hardware now though, as are many others. I probably wouldn't buy a new MS system on launch unless it had some games that totally blew me away.

I think PS3 is becoming more attractive as times go on, however. Can't really afford to own one atm though.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I think PS3 is becoming more attractive as times go on, however. Can't really afford to own one atm though.

Expect a price drop around E3 to counter Microsoft's price drop on the 360. It'll be at least $50, which isn't bad. Hopefully it will be more. If Sony were smart, now would be the time to seize the momentum and try to drive more hardware sales.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Expect a price drop around E3 to counter Microsoft's price drop on the 360. It'll be at least $50, which isn't bad. Hopefully it will be more. If Sony were smart, now would be the time to seize the momentum and try to drive more hardware sales.

Cool.

I still need to get a decent HD tv setup though.

I think the PS3 is a good buy if you like movies (bluray) and games.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Both my launch unit and my Feb 2006 unit are still running fine.

I'm kinda hoping one will crap out so I can justify getting a new model, but no such 'luck'. Maybe posting in this thread will do the trick. ;)

Timorous Scott

Raiden's Valet
I won the contest Mountain Dew ran back before launch where you could win the system and get it a few days before it hit the stores. I've had the same system since that day and it finally red ringed last week. Pretty big bummer as it lasted so long and showed no signs of going bonkers. Here is the shitty thing though...Microsoft only fixes red rigns right? Mine did red ring, but now it just freezes one minute into any game. Its bullshit and they better fix it and not give me any shit...

How long is the turn around time on these?

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
It was only a matter of time. Mine did it after six months use. I'm waiting for it to do it again, when its off warranty, thats when it will really suck, not sure what I'll do then.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Did you send your system in yet?

The RED RING warranty is only good for 3 years and that date is fast approaching.

360 launch was '05, right?

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Doesn't the warranty renew itself every time you get a red-ringed console back from MS?

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
So are HDMI 360s any more reliable than a launch 360? I've been waiting for some kind of hardware revision that at least makes them somewhat reliable, although that doesn't look like its going to happen.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So are HDMI 360s any more reliable than a launch 360? I've been waiting for some kind of hardware revision that at least makes them somewhat reliable, although that doesn't look like its going to happen.

They're supposed to be more reliable is my understanding.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
I don't think it's a 3 year...only 1 year once you get your Xbox back.

Yeah, I should be getting the box to send my 360 back soon.

The fact the 3 year window was fast approaching makes my 360 dieing a good thing. I don't think my current xbox owed me much, but if MS wants to send me a new one, I won't argue.

I can't think of any other piece of electronics I own that I can get a new one for free if my old one breaks 2.5 years after purchase.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
Picture it: I'm standing in line at the Purolator area in Staples in business atire during my lunch break.

Only, the smallest side of the blank white box that MicroSoft sent met to return the 360 is showing to the girl working there.

Before I get within 10 feet of the girl she says "xbox return huh".

I was just like I guess you've seen a few of these come through here...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It doesn't work that way. The first HDMI 360's didn't have the 65nm CPU and the board design was mostly unchanged. I think that board revision was called the Zephyr (I can't seem to find the names on Wikipedia anymore). You need the Falcon revision to really get improved reliability from the new CPU, I think.

Wow, with these new revisions on the horizon, I'm starting to wish I could have held out for one of those. I thought I was all set with my Falcon one (the jury's still out whether it will last a lot better than launch models) but the Valhalla sounds good. By the time that becomes standard, it will be almost like a late middle-aged version of the 360 though. Like buying a slim PS2.

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
The first HDMI 360's didn't have the 65nm CPU and the board design was mostly unchanged.

I believe those were just the first 360 Elite consoles. I'm pretty sure every "white" 360 with HDMI has the 65nm CPU.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I believe those were just the first 360 Elite consoles. I'm pretty sure every "white" 360 with HDMI has the 65nm CPU.
Nope, that's wrong. The board version used for the Elite became available on the Core and Premium editions soon after the Elite. You have to go out of your way to make sure you got a Falcon board; it's not as simple as making sure there is HDMI.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I heard on G4 that the 360 pro will be dropping to $299 on July 14 or so.