Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Or they could just stop making Scream movies and who cares.

"Why? Because western media only shows the other side." Not really true anymore, although the coverage is still lopsided.

"Why they do that, I will let you deduce for yourself." is a hilarious statement from someone in entertainment. Because if what's she's implying is even partially true, the statement amounts to career suicide. Maybe the sense of vindication she feels from seemingly being proven correct will sustain her in her new career at the car wash.

Reactions: wyo

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Whether they should or they shouldn't they are definitely going to make more Scream movies. Of the 6 films all were profitable and all but part 4 were ridiculously so; all but part 3 got decent to good reviews. It's by far the most consistent horror franchise, for better or worse.

lithy

Chat rnoderator
20 Year Member
I remember The Land Before Time, a series so great that it was able to reach the unique heights of numbers 5-10 in sequels. Anything else (horror especially) had been largely relegated to a known base level of schlock from at least the 4th installment onward (i.e. Friday the 13th).

Now it seems like anything from a known-quantity franchise in theaters is at least at episode 7. And worse yet, they're expected to be big budget money makers.

Scream VII should just be a rescreening of Scary Movie to see if anyone notices.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
oh no

Ralph Macchio and Jackie Chan are combining their two Karate Kid franchises into one movie.

Even though the Cobra Kai writers/producers have explicitly said multiple times that Jackie's movie and the animated series are not set in the universe of their show. So either Sony Pictures is ignoring that or this is some multiverse bullshit.

Terrible idea. The Jackie Chan movie sucked hard and wasn't even about Karate.

I liked Jackie chan in that movie while hating squinty eyes Smith. Not sure why they're mixing things up. Pat Morita must be spinning in his grave.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I liked Jackie chan in that movie while hating squinty eyes Smith. Not sure why they're mixing things up. Pat Morita must be spinning in his grave.
Jackie Chan as an actor exists in the Cobra Kai universe. They mention him and his movies on the show. So it'll be really weird to have a character played by Jackie on screen interacting with Ralph/Daniel.

Hopefully this movie ignores Cobra Kai entirely and Cobra Kai ignores it. I can't imagine any chance of it being good.

But to answer your question about why they're doing it, it's simple. Chinese money.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
oh no

Ralph Macchio and Jackie Chan are combining their two Karate Kid franchises into one movie.

Even though the Cobra Kai writers/producers have explicitly said multiple times that Jackie's movie and the animated series are not set in the universe of their show. So either Sony Pictures is ignoring that or this is some multiverse bullshit.

Terrible idea. The Jackie Chan movie sucked hard and wasn't even about Karate.
China money is a helluva drug

famicommander

15 Year Member
At one point they were going to do a Rocky/Karate Kid crossover movie with Daniel's daughter and Rocky's son opening a dojo together.

Thankfully they abandoned that and instead we got the Creed trilogy and Cobra Kai.

terry.330

Black Tank Top Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Dawn of the Dead (2004)- Been years since I'd seen this and I was surprised at how well it's held up. I think that's mostly due to the cast and screenplay by James Gunn. Zach Snyder hadn't gone all the way up his own ass yet but there are flashes of what would come. Really my only major complaints are the zombie baby subplot, which is just terrible and the ending credits music. I really hated that trend of hitting you in the face with nu-metal at the end they were doing for awhile. Kind of surprising how influential this became in it's own right and kind of helped spawn the zombie boom of the 00s and early 2010s.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Man I loved that movie at the time. I liked it more than the original but I'd like to watch both of them in succession. It absolutely kickstarted the zombie craze from the mid-2000s on. Very influential. Shame never saw that actor, CJ, in anything else. Remember thinking damn this guy is cool as hell, hopefully he'll blow up. Nah, never saw him again.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
That movie has, quite possibly, the best opening of a horror movie ever. The speed in which everything goes to shit, that helicopter shot. the opening credits with Johnny Cash... just money. The rest is uneven and that baby stuff is farcical but man, what a start.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I think that movie has some early 2000s idiosyncrasies much like Romero's has late 70s idiosyncrasies. It was probably the best remake they could have possibly done at the time.
Better than the original? No way, but it's a pretty fun movie overall. Didn't that hack W. S. Anderson rip off the excellent intro to this movie in one of his Resident Evil garbage fests?

terry.330

20 Year Member
Shame never saw that actor, CJ, in anything else. Remember thinking damn this guy is cool as hell, hopefully he'll blow up. Nah, never saw him again.
Dude he's in a shit ton of stuff, you probably just never noticed or didn't recognize him. He never blew up but he's worked consistently for like 30 years.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Jenna Ortega has pulled out of Scream 7 now. Both leads gone. The director has said none of this was his choice.

If you check Barrera's social feeds she has been consistently pro Palestine but she also tweeted stuff about not blaming all Jews for the actions of the government of Israel, and she condemned the Hamas attacks.

Ortega has also called the Israeli government "colonizers". Spyglass says she's pulling out due to her schedule but to announce it the day after they fired Barrera? Seems like Ortega is walking out in solidarity.

In Spyglass' statement about the firing they said they won't tolerate "false claims of genocide" and "Holocaust denial" which of course aren't at all what Barrera said.

So now they've got the Meeks twins, Kirby, and Gale left to make their movie unless they pay up and get Neve Campbell back. They really should just cancel the movie at this point.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Everest (re-watch) - I could have sworn I mostly liked this the first time I watched it, but it is really not good. It's gorgeously shot, but other than that, it's just insanely boring. A movie about a dozen people dying horrible deaths on Mt. Everest shouldn't be able to be boring, but this is just lifeless. What a waste of a cast. I haven't read Into Thin Air, but did they adapt the script to closely to it or something?

terry.330

20 Year Member
If you want to see a really bad mountain climbing movie watch Vertical Limit.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Can we go back to talking about the Middle East again? I have some extremely volatile opinions on the subject.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Jenna Ortega has pulled out of Scream 7 now. Both leads gone. The director has said none of this was his choice.

If you check Barrera's social feeds she has been consistently pro Palestine but she also tweeted stuff about not blaming all Jews for the actions of the government of Israel, and she condemned the Hamas attacks.

Ortega has also called the Israeli government "colonizers". Spyglass says she's pulling out due to her schedule but to announce it the day after they fired Barrera? Seems like Ortega is walking out in solidarity.

In Spyglass' statement about the firing they said they won't tolerate "false claims of genocide" and "Holocaust denial" which of course aren't at all what Barrera said.

So now they've got the Meeks twins, Kirby, and Gale left to make their movie unless they pay up and get Neve Campbell back. They really should just cancel the movie at this point.
Susan Sarandon also just got dropped by her representation for making innocuous, perfectly-semitic comments they then labelled antisemitic. Conflating criticism of a government's actions with hatred for an entire people seems so weird to me.
Can we go back to talking about the Middle East again? I have some extremely volatile opinions on the subject.
On it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Susan Sarandon also just got dropped by her representation for making innocuous, perfectly-semitic comments they then labelled antisemitic. Conflating criticism of a government's actions with hatred for an entire people seems so weird to me.

On it.
Meanwhile, people who actually hate Jews like Ice Cube, Mel Gibson, and Dave Chapelle still get work.

famicommander

15 Year Member
OK fami settle down now
It's true, though. The point is you're allowed to say fucked up shit about Jews, but you're not allowed to criticize Israel's apartheid state or the US government's support of it.