Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Killers of the Flower Moon - didn’t feel like a 3.5 hour film but i would have appreciated an intermission near the 2 hour mark. If I get a drink at the movie theater I inevitably have to urinate around the 2 hour mark.

Enjoyed the film. A lot of great performances. I’ll probably see Leo in anything at this point. De Niro still killing it. Not really sure what to say about it other than the story it tells is an absolutely shameful moment in American history (but what else is new in MURICA?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Killers of the Flower Moon - didn’t feel like a 3.5 hour film but i would have appreciated an intermission near the 2 hour mark. If I get a drink at the movie theater I inevitably have to urinate around the 2 hour mark.

Enjoyed the film. A lot of great performances. I’ll probably see Leo in anything at this point. De Niro still killing it. Not really sure what to say about it other than the story it tells is an absolutely shameful moment in American history (but what else is new in MURICA?)
I kind of ruined this movie for myself by watching a documentary about the Osage murders a while back. So when the trailer for this dropped, I could see they were framing it as a mystery, which wouldn't work for me because I could see, okay, Deniro is this guy and Decaprio is that guy, and I knew what happened and how everything ended. I'll still see it at some point, although I don't know how, since I don't have apple tv.

On a (very) slightly positive side note about our shameful history: I was reading that the story I'd always taken as fact about our purposely killing Indians with smallpox-infected blankets has somewhat recently been debunked. I mean, the smallpox-infected blankets were real, unfortunately. But the idea it was done intentionally has been disproven (in part because people at the time had no awareness of "germs" or how they worked yet). I mean, it's kind of a moot point because so many would have died and did die anyway on the trail of tears, but I'll take whatever small silver linings I can find.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It’s absolutely not a mystery, btw.
Ah, okay. That's good, I guess. I just took from the trailer that it seemed like they were trying to make Decaprio's character look like he wasn't part of his uncle's conspiracy.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
And yeah I saw it in the theater because I’m not getting AppleTV, ever lol.

Looking forward to seeing the Napoleon movie and Miyazakis new movie in the next few months.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
VHS 85 [fuck the proper brackets that's too much typing for this shit movie] - I could have sworn these used to be good. This was easily the worst, and that's remembering pretty clearly how much the "online" one sucked. Just zero scares, zero imagination. That's, shit, five or so terrible indy horror movies on Shudder, not going well here.

Lake Mungo - fuck me, here's another one. One of whatever. Shit indy horror. I fell asleep after 45 minutes and I didn't miss anything. The 97% positive critic reviews alongside the 52% audience reviews are instructive here. I currently have Eyes On Fire on pause and Creepy, God Told Me To, Opera, and The Last Winter queued up but I fucking swear these damn things need to improve or I'm gonna watch Kelly Clarkson or something.

terry.330

Black Tank Top Enthusiast
20 Year Member
All My Friends Hate Me- A British dark comedy about a guy who is invited to a birthday party at a country estate by his old college friends. Things go from awkward to deeply uncomfortable to a straight up existential crisis over the course of a weekend. This one is almost impossible to explain without spoiling anything. A masterful exercise in uncomfortable social comedy and the perception of self. Recommended but it's definitely not for everyone.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
VHS 85 [fuck the proper brackets that's too much typing for this shit movie] - I could have sworn these used to be good. This was easily the worst, and that's remembering pretty clearly how much the "online" one sucked. Just zero scares, zero imagination. That's, shit, five or so terrible indy horror movies on Shudder, not going well here.

Lake Mungo - fuck me, here's another one. One of whatever. Shit indy horror. I fell asleep after 45 minutes and I didn't miss anything. The 97% positive critic reviews alongside the 52% audience reviews are instructive here. I currently have Eyes On Fire on pause and Creepy, God Told Me To, Opera, and The Last Winter queued up but I fucking swear these damn things need to improve or I'm gonna watch Kelly Clarkson or something.
Tried the original [V/H/S] - supposedly it's really good. I was so bored 10 mins in we switched to As Above, So Below.

As Above, So Below was decent. I like stuff like this, small unique environments (Parisian Catacombs). It was interested and sort of followed some myths around the Philosopher's Stone, but it went to far with it and it went from mostly believable and legit frightening to too over-the-top with some of the mind visions and specifically everyone having the same mind-vision simultaneous, too much disbelief to suspend. Overall 7/10.

Lake Mungo we watched last night. It was...ok. Kept thinking there was going to be something else, but there wasn't. Ultimately just a bit unsettling at some points, but never scared, never confused. We watched it through, again because it felt like there would be some twist and it just wasn't there. Too slow and probably shouldn't have been made. 5/10

The Taking of Deborah Logan - enjoyable. I'm not big on possession movies but this was a different take and had a few legit jump scares. A bit long especially the end scene. At some point just shoot the woman, seriously. How many cops/security people are we going to let a 70yo 85lb woman eat? Possession or not, became interesting to unrealistic. 6/10

Creep - this was awesome. A movie with no nudity, very little foul language, almost no violence (until the end), no monsters, etc to leave someone feeling so disturbed / unsettled is really impressive. Fantastic script and acting. Absolutely loved it. 9/10

Creep 2 - I was hesitant to watch, didn't want to spoil the first...but it was...really good. Super impressive to pull of a sequel when the cat is out of the bag so to speak, but they did superbly here. Enjoyable start to finish. They copied enough of the first to play proper homage, but it was not a complete copy. Really good. 8/10

Death Proof - oh my. I remember loving this in my Tarantino phase when I felt like he could do no wrong, 15 years ago or so. This was my 2nd watch of it and holy crap. Slow and then boring and then super slow and even more boring. Cool film stuff aside, or whatever, just a complete borefest. 3/10

terry.330

20 Year Member
The Lost Boys- Still as awesome as ever in fact I think it just gets better with age.

terry.330

20 Year Member
Scream 4- The last one to be directed by Wes Craven and the last movie he did before he kicked the bucket. This is a weird one since it's a sequel and essentially a reboot. It takes the meta stuff to ridiculous levels and calls out the wave of shitty horror remakes that were flooding the market at the time which I like. But I think they were a bit early with the social media/internet fame angle. This is that weird in-between time before everyone had smartphones and social media was just starting to catch on. The AV nerd walking around with a webcam strapped to his head seems silly these days.

Great cast except for Emma Roberts, she's awful in everything I've seen her in except Blackcoat's Daughter. Also a surprising amount of gore compared to the first 3 (still no nudity though). Overall not great but there's still some fun to be found and it does feel like a solid update to the series. Still haven't seen 5 or 6 yet though.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Scream 4- The last one to be directed by Wes Craven and the last movie he did before he kicked the bucket. This is a weird one since it's a sequel and essentially a reboot. It takes the meta stuff to ridiculous levels and calls out the wave of shitty horror remakes that were flooding the market at the time which I like. But I think they were a bit early with the social media/internet fame angle. This is that weird in-between time before everyone had smartphones and social media was just starting to catch on. The AV nerd walking around with a webcam strapped to his head seems silly these days.

Great cast except for Emma Roberts, she's awful in everything I've seen her in except Blackout's Daughter. Also a surprising amount of gore compared to the first 3 (still no nudity though). Overall not great but there's still some fun to be found and it does feel like a solid update to the series. Still haven't seen 5 or 6 yet though.
4 was much better than 3 at least. Kirby was the MVP of Scream 4 and the best new character since the first film.

5 is roughly as good as 4, 6 is the best since the first.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Tried the original [V/H/S] - supposedly it's really good. I was so bored 10 mins in we switched to As Above, So Below.

As Above, So Below was decent. I like stuff like this, small unique environments (Parisian Catacombs). It was interested and sort of followed some myths around the Philosopher's Stone, but it went to far with it and it went from mostly believable and legit frightening to too over-the-top with some of the mind visions and specifically everyone having the same mind-vision simultaneous, too much disbelief to suspend. Overall 7/10.

Lake Mungo we watched last night. It was...ok. Kept thinking there was going to be something else, but there wasn't. Ultimately just a bit unsettling at some points, but never scared, never confused. We watched it through, again because it felt like there would be some twist and it just wasn't there. Too slow and probably shouldn't have been made. 5/10

The Taking of Deborah Logan - enjoyable. I'm not big on possession movies but this was a different take and had a few legit jump scares. A bit long especially the end scene. At some point just shoot the woman, seriously. How many cops/security people are we going to let a 70yo 85lb woman eat? Possession or not, became interesting to unrealistic. 6/10

Creep - this was awesome. A movie with no nudity, very little foul language, almost no violence (until the end), no monsters, etc to leave someone feeling so disturbed / unsettled is really impressive. Fantastic script and acting. Absolutely loved it. 9/10

Creep 2 - I was hesitant to watch, didn't want to spoil the first...but it was...really good. Super impressive to pull of a sequel when the cat is out of the bag so to speak, but they did superbly here. Enjoyable start to finish. They copied enough of the first to play proper homage, but it was not a complete copy. Really good. 8/10

Death Proof - oh my. I remember loving this in my Tarantino phase when I felt like he could do no wrong, 15 years ago or so. This was my 2nd watch of it and holy crap. Slow and then boring and then super slow and even more boring. Cool film stuff aside, or whatever, just a complete borefest. 3/10
The Creep movies are so unassuming and so good it's like here, my first date, do you like these movies, if not then shove yo ass off.

Been meaning to re-watch As Above So Below. Solid movie IIRC as well as good In This Moment song.

Eyes of Fire -okay for 80s horror I suppose. Not thrilling but not terrible.

Creepy - honestly kinda bland measured against a lot of southern Asian horror. Story is pretty interesting then kind of goes right where you think it will and ends. Great setup, boring execution. Worth watching by a bit, but not great.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Cabin in the Woods- A modern favorite. Sure once you've seen it the ending is kind of spoiled a little but whatever. It's so much fun and it's so well made that I can still get plenty of enjoyment out of it. The cast is great, it looks good and there's plenty of action. It's also surprisingly clever and I don't mean the internal logic of the movie because, once they get behind the scenes of the company nothing makes much sense but in the ways that it plays around with horror tropes. The archetypal characters, the monsters even the multicultural horror stuff we get glimpses of. The scene with the little girls in Japan is hilarious. This is one I can watch a couple times a year.

I rewatched this after seeing your post and I thought it was better than I remembered. Not that I ever thought it was a bad movie but for whatever reason never saw it more than once. It was hilarious and gory as fuck. Thumbs up.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yeah, I was surprised at how much I liked her in it. She made Emma Roberts look even more dull and acted circles around her.
Spoiler:
Did you catch that she survived? After she gets stabbed Sydney starts going down the stairs towards her, but she hears a door latch and turns back the other way. That was Kirby crawling into her basement and Sydney leading the killers back away from her. Kirby makes a brief photo cameo in 5 and returns in-person in 6

terry.330

20 Year Member
Godzilla (1998)- Yeah the Roland Emmerich one. Obviously it's fucking terrible but I had forgotten just how weird it is. Every piece of dialogue, every character, every decision is wrong. The stupidity is off the charts, it doesn't even feel real. Like some sort of idiot fever dream.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Godzilla (1998)- Yeah the Roland Emmerich one. Obviously it's fucking terrible but I had forgotten just how weird it is. Every piece of dialogue, every character, every decision is wrong. The stupidity is off the charts, it doesn't even feel real. Like some sort of idiot fever dream.
Now I ALMOST wanna revisit this turd

terry.330

20 Year Member
Now I ALMOST wanna revisit this turd
It certainly wasn't what I would call enjoyable but going back and watching it felt like a parody of Emmerich's stuff. Like someone fed Independence Day and Godzilla into an AI script writing bot.

Candyman 2: Farewell to the Flesh- Doesn't hold a candle to the first one but there's definitely some cool stuff in it. Changing the setting to Louisiana and expanding the lore is a good base, some of the kills are good and of course Tony Todd is awesome. Everything else ranges from mediocre to just plain bad.

Gentlegamer

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
Killers of the Flower Moon - at least an hour too long, a movie about the dumbest serial killers of all time

DiCaprio and DeNiro were both quite good, playing characters that are against their "type"... DeNiro was actually acting instead of playing "DeNiro" for the first time since The King of Comedy.

terry.330

20 Year Member
Species - I was not expecting tentacle nipples.
If you feel like it check out some the behind the scenes stuff about HR Giger's involvement. He came up with so much crazy shit that they didn't use. It's not a great movie but there are some pretty awesome ideas under all the 90s and bad CG.