Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
They should scrap the whole thing for sure.

Give me a new Batman film every 3-5 years by different directors and actors.

Give me a noir detective Batman movie with dames, gangsters, revolvers, and Tommy guns.

I want Batman: Black and White but in movie form.

Why not make Gotham by Gaslight? I dunno DC and Hollywood are just idiots.
There's no reason they shouldn't be able to make good Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter movies. They've just gone about it in the worst possible way. Everything they've done with their movie universe has been reactionary -- either trying to copy Marvel or trying to do the exact opposite of Marvel. In either case they've let Marvel dictate their every move instead of just believing in the 80 god damn years worth of stories that most of their characters have and doing their own thing.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
At least the DC animated flicks are still pretty solid. Give me a (live action) Jensen Ackles Batman too while you are at it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
At least the DC animated flicks are still pretty solid. Give me a (live action) Jensen Ackles Batman too while you are at it.
They're okay but it's been a good while since they released something great. Justice League: Doom, The Flashpoint Paradox, Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse... those are all over 10 years old now.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
They're okay but it's been a good while since they released something great. Justice League: Doom, The Flashpoint Paradox, Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse... those are all over 10 years old now.

woof - time flies

famicommander

15 Year Member
woof - time flies
insta-2.gif

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I don't disagree with anything you said, but at the same time, it's no worse or more pointless than any F13 movie after part 4. And as a pointless remake, it's at least better than the Jackie Earle Haley Nightmare on Elm Street.
I'd say F13 part 6 is actually one of the best in the series, but yeah I get you and yes the NOES remake is really fucking bad.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I remember having Jason X on DVD and they had all the kills back to back in the additional content. The kills were pretty decent, had fun with the sleeping bag kill.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Barbie - unsettling. Just the entire premise, like a fever dream. Not that I have actually read reviews but everyone's talking about the patriarchy, or whatever. But this was just a really weird movie and I'm surprised I haven't heard more people talk about the unsettlingness of it all. Props to WB for making it and props to the agency that advertised the movie and made commercials to not reveal everything in the trailers and promotions.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
There were no black headliners so they allowed it :keke: Plus it had a map which favored China’s maritime claims over several other countries like Vietnam.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Barbie and Mission Impossible came out. Indiana Jones was in theaters for all of a week.

But I saw this on a Chinese streaming site. Barbie's made enough money.
This is the site if anyone's interested, has tons of movies and shows all streaming, no need to download: https://www.aimeiju5.com/play/?281676-0-0.html

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood: This is what happens when you take a regular TFTC episode and stretch it to feature length then for some reason decide to make Dennis Miller of all people the star. On the plus side there are titties, lots of titties. Yeah so this is a mess and a half but again, there's titties. There's also some pretty solid practical effects and some of the dialogue is actually quite funny. It's nowhere near as good as Demon Night and feels way more like an actual episode but all the camp in the world can't save it. Unfortunately because of how poorly this did we never got another entry into the series. Still it's enjoyable in it's own dumb trashy way.

Also even though the Crypt Keeper wrap around are also bad the puppet itself is awesome. I always forget just how well animated he is.
I remember watching BoB on video when it came out and settling, pretty early on, into a state of general boredom (other than the titties) punctuated only by wavering on whether or not I thought Angie Everhart would have any nude scenes. I was pretty sure she wouldn't but that 1% of hope against hope kept me watching until the end of it.

The drop from Demon Knight to Bordello is really something. I know they're going for sort of different things, but the former does its things so damn well and the latter is just so bad.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I downloaded Barbie for the wife and kids. No way I'm watching that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Barbie - unsettling. Just the entire premise, like a fever dream. Not that I have actually read reviews but everyone's talking about the patriarchy, or whatever. But this was just a really weird movie and I'm surprised I haven't heard more people talk about the unsettlingness of it all. Props to WB for making it and props to the agency that advertised the movie and made commercials to not reveal everything in the trailers and promotions.
Also props to the marketing team that successfully tied Barbie to Oppenheimer in everyone's mind and made them feel like they had to watch both for some mysterious reason, in the same weekend, like it was some weird tiktok challenge.

Although that "Barbieheimer" marketing campaign did NOT work when they tried to bring it to Japan. There was a bit of outrage at the tone deafness of it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My god, the last week, don't even talk to me about Japan and atom bombs. Comments section on Chinese social media, jfc, done with these people.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Although that "Barbieheimer" marketing campaign did NOT work when they tried to bring it to Japan. There was a bit of outrage at the tone deafness of it.
No idea on earth what you could be talking about here.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The Myst

After watching the original Fog I remembered I hadn't seen Myst. Plenty of unlikable people to die. Overall I liked it although I wish the religious fanatic had been killed by a creature. The ending was kind of predictable.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
No idea on earth what you could be talking about here.
There was some outrage at Warner Bros conflating the invention of the atomic bomb and the nuking of Hiroshima & Nagasaki with a colorful kids movie based on a girl's doll. I didn't think I would need to explain that, but oh well.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai- Been a while since I last watched this and remember enjoying it quite a bit and it didn't disappoint. Jim Jarmusch directing so you know it's going to be slow and kind of weird. He's mixing a lot of different things here to a mostly satisfying effect. Though sometimes it's hard to tell what's intentionally funny and what's not. Like Ghost Dog doing a little sword move when he puts his gun away. Is that supposed to be cool or is it supposed to be ridiculous, both? Doesn't really matter, like most of Jarmusch's other films it's mostly about the vibe and intersecting stories. Though this does feel a bit more restrained than a lot of his other work. I know a lot of people love the soundtrack by the RZA but even as a big Wu-Tang fan this feels lazy. Like he just tossed Jarmusch some misc. half finished stuff he had laying around the studio. Still it does give the movie a big part of it's character. Recommended overall, the movie definitely holds up.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Wife picked a movie called Don't Worry, Darling on Netflix, which is supposedly a psychological thriller. DO NOT WATCH.

What it actually is, is a direct rip-off of the lame 2009 AMC remake of The Prisoner. Not the great, original Prisoner; they chose to steal from the bad copy. It's so close (and so bad) that it's like the writer saw the Prisoner remake, repressed the memory of having watched it, and then wrote the same movie from the repressed memories he forgot he had. It's fucking dire. People have noticed similarities to The Stepford Wives, which is also true, but no one dares bring up the Prisoner remake because that would buy a one-way ticket to Lawsuit City, population: these assholes. What a chunk of shit.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Creep, Creep 2.

About a guy that puts an ad in craigslist to hire someone to film him for $1000. As the day goes along shit gets weird, weirder, fucking crazy.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Wife picked a movie called Don't Worry, Darling on Netflix, which is supposedly a psychological thriller. DO NOT WATCH.

What it actually is, is a direct rip-off of the lame 2009 AMC remake of The Prisoner. Not the great, original Prisoner; they chose to steal from the bad copy. It's so close (and so bad) that it's like the writer saw the Prisoner remake, repressed the memory of having watched it, and then wrote the same movie from the repressed memories he forgot he had. It's fucking dire. People have noticed similarities to The Stepford Wives, which is also true, but no one dares bring up the Prisoner remake because that would buy a one-way ticket to Lawsuit City, population: these assholes. What a chunk of shit.
Oof. So yeah this is Olivia Wilde's directorial debut and it got a lot of negative attention when it came out for multiple reasons. Apparently there were all kinds of behind the scenes drama caused by Wilde. She cast her boy-toy Harry Styles after promising the role to someone else and fired a couple people who spoke out about that being a shitty move. It also came out the same time that she very publicly split with Jason Sudekis. She was actually served custody papers on stage at one of the openings.

On top of that the movie got terrible reviews and like you said is a total ripoff of multiple other things. Needless to say the movie bombed and it was a huge embarrassment for everyone involved.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Shazam 2 opened to 30 million domestically. Went onto gross 134 million on a 90-100 million dollar budget, which is a colossal bomb.

Blue Beetle is listed at a 100-125 million dollar budget and it looks like the domestic opening will be in the 22-28 million dollar range.

So if Blue Beetle is going to come anywhere close to making any money it's going to have to clean up in Latin America and overseas.
Welp.

Blue Beetle opened to 25 million domestically, 18 million internationally. Colossal bomb.

Turtles is still trucking along. Should finish at about 135 million domestically. It's only up to 30 million overseas but it hasn't yet launched in several major markets (Spain, Australia/NZ, Japan, Brazil, Korea).

Should finish somewhere above 200 million which is decent for its budget. It moved a fuck ton of toys and other merch though, so it succeeded in reviving the brand after those two horrible Bay movies and that Netflix animated series with gorgeous animation but retarded character designs that got axed after two seasons. Turtles from 2012-2022 moved a total of 8 billion in merch; 2023 to date alone they've moved over 1 billion.