Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Not in the US, it's on Starz or Epix or some shit. But yes that $6 would have been better spent on literally anything else.
I think he just made the movie and kill Dante so people will finally shut the fuck up about it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I think he just made the movie and kill Dante so people will finally shut the fuck up about it.
Nah he made the movie because he had a heart attack so he had to diarrhea that experience out somewhere since no one pays to hear him talk about himself like they did 20 years ago.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Dune (1984)
Sheesh. This movie stinks and it's so weird that contrarians have been coming out of the woodwork to claim it's actually great ever since the new one was nearing release.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
"Contrarian Lynch bigots on twitter claim to like other version of movie on cinemas, here's why"

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I never saw the new Dune, but I've always liked Lynch's version. Never even realized that it was hated until the internet came along. Haha

A big part of it for me is the atmosphere. So much of the set decoration, smoke effects, sound design, it's all so otherworldly and sometimes creepy even, he really creates a universe. I just think it's great. To each their own, man.

I would like to see the new one at some point. I liked that director's Blade Runner sequel from a few years back.

fake

15 Year Member
I never saw the new Dune, but I've always liked Lynch's version. Never even realized that it was hated until the internet came along. Haha

A big part of it for me is the atmosphere. So much of the set decoration, smoke effects, sound design, it's all so otherworldly and sometimes creepy even, he really creates a universe. I just think it's great. To each their own, man.

I would like to see the new one at some point. I liked that director's Blade Runner sequel from a few years back.
The atmosphere and whatnot I totally get and I do like. It is definitely eery and otherworldly. But I don't think that makes it a good movie like a lot of people are trying to say. A lot of my take is based on the sloppy stuff like the sudden narrations and goofiness of the acting and dialogue, but I'm sure that some of it is my love for Dune. I have to wonder what a Lynch sci-fi movie would be like if it were his own creation and not based on an existing IP.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Lynch himself has even said that Dune is not a good movie. He even said it was so bad and such a difficult shoot that it almost made him quit making movies. It's an interesting Lynch project and it's visually awesome but it's a terrible movie and adaptation of the material. I have a soft spot for it because I watched it a lot growing up, it seemed like it was always on some random cable channel every weekend. I guess because it could fill an entire afternoon programming block. But I'll never try to defend it as anything other than an interesting disaster.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'll watch Lynch's Dune any day - the art direction and vibe alone is worth it to me. TV extended cut even more so. I have zero desire to watch the new one...all gray, shitty art direction, NO GOLD.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah the new one was pretty good. The art direction is actually great it feels very big, sparse and bleak. The only problem I really had with it was that there's some goofy banter banter between Jason Mamoa and Paul.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
House of 1000 Corpses- I will never in a million years understand what people see in this, it's just fucking awful. I know a lot of people consider this their favorite of Zombie's movies but it's just an absolute mess of a film. I can at least tolerate (barely) The Devils Rejects and Lords of Salem but House has almost no redeeming qualities aside from giving some 70s and 80s grind house stars a new lease on their careers. Sheri Moon is atrocious, possibly the most annoying "actress" in anything I've ever seen. The whole thing is just a screaming, grime infested, hillbilly, clown show nightmare and I honestly don't know how anyone can enjoy it. It makes me angry that I wasted my time giving it another chance.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The best part of 1000 Corpses is the DVD menu where Sid Haig riffs for 5 minutes.

Late Edit:

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
House of 1000 Corpses- I will never in a million years understand what people see in this, it's just fucking awful. I know a lot of people consider this their favorite of Zombie's movies but it's just an absolute mess of a film. I can at least tolerate (barely) The Devils Rejects and Lords of Salem but House has almost no redeeming qualities aside from giving some 70s and 80s grind house stars a new lease on their careers. Sheri Moon is atrocious, possibly the most annoying "actress" in anything I've ever seen. The whole thing is just a screaming, grime infested, hillbilly, clown show nightmare and I honestly don't know how anyone can enjoy it. It makes me angry that I wasted my time giving it another chance.
Yeah, it's fucking awful. I like Devil's Rejects okay, though. But then 3 From Hell is almost (almost) as bad as 1000 Corpses.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Speaking of horror, I've always considered this to be one of the greatest trailers ever made. Perhaps more effective than the actual movie.

Samson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Noob of the Year
Speaking of horror, I've always considered this to be one of the greatest trailers ever made. Perhaps more effective than the actual movie.

80s horror movie trailers have such a special vibe to them that cannot be replicated today. One of my favorites is the trailer for A Nightmare On Elm Street. I love the ending quote “a new masterpiece in fantasy terror” plus it uses the films soundtrack really well. The trailer for Freddy’s Revenge is really good too.

fake

15 Year Member
Sun Ra: A Joyful Noise
You don't really get a good idea of Sun Ra's history, musical training, etc. More like vignettes into the band jamming and his musicians talking about him. It's...fine? Probably only for people who are curious about his persona.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'm surprised you watched it.
I at least knew what I was getting into this time. I mainly watched it because I wanted to see what he would do with such a long runtime, surely there had to be some sort of evolution as a film maker right? Nope. All that extra time is filled with inane dialogue between disposable characters or focuses on the stupid little brother. In fact I think the director actually regressed because the whole movie is terrible looking and meandering. He at least had the sense to work within his limitations in the first one. This is lacking basic shot composition, lighting, effective editing and any sense of pacing. The gore effects looked terrible as well since the guy can't light or edit for shit. A little girl version of Art is about as basic and lazy as you can get as far as horror tropes go. The angel vs demon and children's show dream stuff was less than half baked and the after credit sequence was embarrassing.

I hope the lead actress gets more work because I actually liked her and I hope she doesn't just get stuck making more trash.

I also think the guy that plays Art is talented and people wouldn't like that character without him but that's all the praise I'm willing to give either film.

fake

15 Year Member
Felicia's Journey
It's a very slow psychological thriller about an Irish girl who gets knocked up by her neighbor. He escapes to England to avoid the responsibility and she goes to find him, thinking they're still on good terms. Having no leads, she gets some help from an elderly man who seems a bit off. It's very '90s in that gloomy and dull sort of way. Worth watching if only because I've not seen anything quite like it.

Samson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Noob of the Year
I at least knew what I was getting into this time. I mainly watched it because I wanted to see what he would do with such a long runtime, surely there had to be some sort of evolution as a film maker right? Nope. All that extra time is filled with inane dialogue between disposable characters or focuses on the stupid little brother. In fact I think the director actually regressed because the whole movie is terrible looking and meandering. He at least had the sense to work within his limitations in the first one. This is lacking basic shot composition, lighting, effective editing and any sense of pacing. The gore effects looked terrible as well since the guy can't light or edit for shit. A little girl version of Art is about as basic and lazy as you can get as far as horror tropes go. The angel vs demon and children's show dream stuff was less than half baked and the after credit sequence was embarrassing.

I hope the lead actress gets more work because I actually liked her and I hope she doesn't just get stuck making more trash.

I also think the guy that plays Art is talented and people wouldn't like that character without him but that's all the praise I'm willing to give either film.
Yeah David Howard Thornton is a great actor. He really does bring character to Art and is probably the best part of both movies. He also played the Grinch in the horror How The Grinch Stole Christmas movie that came out a few months ago.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

It's like they couldn't figure out what kind of horror film they wanted, teen horror or Victor Crowley gore. The father bit where he goes a little crazy at the end made me wonder if he became Art and wanted to kill the family.

I mean fans got what they wanted Art gore with a nonsensical plot.