Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Some of those DCAU movies are downright depressing. One of them had a sequence that showed how they transform inhabitants of a conquered world into parademons, nightmare fuel.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Calvaire (2004) French: Strange ass film, about a lone road performer who sings at aged care homes who gets trapped in a small town without cell service. Lets just say the inhabitants are strange and things become horrifically interesting. Bit of a head fuck.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
WTF is this new Power Rangers movie? Looks like the old TV show and seems to have some of the original cast and be something completely new. I was too old for PR so I don't really have any interest in actually watching it but was surprised to see it pop up on Netflix. I thought they modernized PR a few years ago, is this just some one-off throwback?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Watched the Super Mario Bros. movie, I think it was pretty good. Not overly complicated, never a boring moment, doesn't overstay its welcome and Luigi did get his big hero moment at the end. Peach looks a bit weird though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I saw Frank was on amazon prime but going to leave in a couple days, so I watched it again. Stars the main character from Ex Machina as a guy who aspires to songwriting but has no talent, who joins a band with Michael Fastbender as frontman Frank. Frank wears a giant paper-mache head that he never takes off. Nothing earth-shattering or particularly deep, but I like this movie a lot.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I saw Frank was on amazon prime but going to leave in a couple days, so I watched it again. Stars the main character from Ex Machina as a guy who aspires to songwriting but has no talent, who joins a band with Michael Fastbender as frontman Frank. Frank wears a giant paper-mache head that he never takes off. Nothing earth-shattering or particularly deep, but I like this movie a lot.
Frank is a great little movie. One of the best halloween costumes I ever saw was a guy dressed as him, nobody had any idea what he was supposed to be lol.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

That's Domhnall Gleeson, son of Brendan "its only the blood 'o christ.... 'do ya hafta'" Gleeson.

He's also the one guy that betrays the empire in the last shitty Star Wars movie. His real life brother plays a character named (something) Hux in Mandalorian season 3, who is that character's father. Kinda cool.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Scanners- Cronenberg's breakout film famous for the head exploding shot that everyone knows. I hadn't seen this in years and it was a lot better than I remembered it. It's fairly low budget and a lot of the acting isn't the greatest but it's pretty engaging and Michael Ironside is awesome as the bad guy. It definitely has that Cronenberg feel to it. Sometimes the psychic battling is a little goofy but it's still pretty effective for the most part. I dig the movies kind of low key feel and look, it's very Canadian. Overall the movie has held up remarkably well.

One Missed Call- Takashi Miike's take on the J-horror trend of the early 00s. It's not as tight as some of the better entries in the genre but it's still a pretty entertaining for what it is. It's also pretty subdued for Miike compared to a lot of his other work. It still has a feel and look that is distinctly his but I think he knew this couldn't be as crazy as his usual stuff. Though he certainly threw in just about every J-horror cliche from the time. It seemed to work though as it spawned 2 more movies and a TV series. It's no Ringu but it's not bad.

Reactions: Syn

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It is only acceptable to catch the new Super Mario movie with your kids. If you are going to see it unironically as a 40 year old man you should probably be on a watch list.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I bought Clerks 3 on Blu Ray for 6 bucks but I haven't watched it yet. Anyone seent it? Does it suck?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Not in the US, it's on Starz or Epix or some shit. But yes that $6 would have been better spent on literally anything else.

A purchase that would make M proud.

Busy weekend here:

Evil Dead Rise - Totally solid but not great. It's much closer to the 2013 remake than the original Bruce Campbell movies in tone but it's not quite as relentlessly bleak as the remake. I did enjoy that the dysfunctional family at the center of the story is much less random than "small group of dipshits go to cabin and die horrible deaths" which allows for some decent pathos when things start going sideways. There's some gruesome violence (the cheese grater scene got a big reaction from my crowd) and the references are largely not as overt and "SHE SAID THE THING!" as most nostalgia-bait sequels but it does get a little on the nose a couple of times.

I dunno... I enjoyed the ride and I'm glad they actually tried to do something different rather than just rehashing the same story for the 4th time but I honestly just wish this wasn't an Evil Dead movie. Not because it was necessarily a bad movie or that it did Evil Dead wrong or anything like that. It just seems wholly unnecessary for it to be one. Take out the Necronomicon, remove the more overt references (chainsaw, a couple of lines) and it's a pretty great horror movie with no ties and no expectations.

Renfield - The Nic Cage as Dracula movie that nobody apparently bothered to see. It's kind of a mixed bag but there's brainless fun to be had. The good is largely Nic Cage related: you can tell he's having a lot of fun and they recreate several of the scenes from the Bela Lugosi version of the movie in black and white with Nic Cage in the part which tickled me. There's also a lot of over-the-top silly gore (think Mortal Kombat fatalities) and a few legitimately funny lines/situations.

That said, the setup for the movie (Renfield regrets his time being Dracula's servant and discovers a self-help group for co-dependents that helps him realize he wants to do good) is pretty lame and the on-again, off-again voice-over narration seems like a late editing decision that doesn't help the movie. To the surprise of probably no one, Awkwafina is 1,000% not believable as the "tough-nosed cop with a vendetta" role and her one-liners largely fall flat. I'd recommend it for people who enjoy eccentric Nic Cage performances and Mortal Kombat-level gore in what is ostensibly a comedy but don't go in expecting too much beyond that.

Knock at the Cabin - Falls in line with "The Visit" and "Devil" as M. Night movies that aren't embarrassingly bad but are completely forgettable. 90 minute Twilight Zone episodes. Based on a book (which I gather people have some feelings about the faithfulness of the screenplay for), four random strangers come to a cabin in the woods to tell a gay couple and their adopted kid that they must willingly sacrifice a member of their family to save the world from the apocalypse. It builds good tension early on with its methodical pace and the performances are largely pretty good (Dave Bautista's physical presence and somewhat monotone delivery is once again a highlight) but it kind of peters out halfway thru and the ending is kind of a wet fart. Not necessarily because the way they decide to resolve it is bad so much as the execution of it is... flat.

So yeah, it's not as terrible as like Old or Lady in the Water or some of his other drek but I won't be rewatching it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I bought Clerks 3 on Blu Ray for 6 bucks but I haven't watched it yet. Anyone seent it? Does it suck?
It didn't need to be made and it's a bit shit.

Angst (1983) German : follows a psychopath after being released from prison. Twist: he kills again. I wouldn't say it was enjoyable, the kills were awkward but I guess that was the whole point.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Watched 'Sorority House Massacre' last night. An 80s slasher flick that surprised me for being much better than I was led to believe. I mean, the kills and scares weren't really anything original, but the movie had so much atmosphere. The music and slow camera pans really created a sense of dread at times. And the lead character had flashbacks via dreams and visions to her childhood trauma, and these were interspersed with events happening contemporarily in an attempt to make the audience feel what she was feeling and bring us deeper into it.

I don't know, I thought it was much better than its reputation. I think it gets compared unfairly with 'Slumber Party Massacre,' which while fun in its own right, is a completely different take on the genre.

I also finally got around to watching 'Top Gun Maverick' a couple days ago. They managed to take the jet fighting scenes to another level. I suppose that's as much a result of the capabilities of the F18 vs the F14 of the first movie, but man, some of those scenes were absolutely incredible. As for the story itself, I thought they did a good job with it, bringing Goose's son into the mix, and his having a complicated relationship with Maverick. The love interest Penny, who was alluded to a couple times in the first movie, was done about as well as you can expect in these types of movies. The Ice Man scene got to me a bit, hey, I'm not a robot. Haha

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. I was a huge fan of the original growing up. Had it on Betamax, and it was one of the first movies I remember seeing in the theater, so it was cool to revisit that universe, and I thought they did it justice.