More movie stuff: Good remakes?

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Continuing in the vein of the horror thread, what are some worthwhile film remakes you've seen (any genre)?

Please, good ones... no listing and bashing the bad ones. Just what you like and why you liked it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Rob Zombie's Halloween II works surprisingly well, in my opinion, as a standalone movie (I'd never in a million years argue for quality in the first one, but like you said, we're not bashing movies, so).

But the second one, damn, it's not bad at all. It's not so much about establishing backstory as it is about just making Michael Meyers a nasty motherfucker. Some really brutal kills, I like that. And I like the dark edge to Laurie, great ending.

Yeah, I know that one's VERY subjective, easy to argue against me on that, but it works for me, at least.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The Thing.

I've never seen the remake of Scarface, but it's obviously a lot more popular than the original.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Dawn Of The Dead-Even though this 'remake' has some problems, I still find it a thoroughly engaging and exciting movie. It's filled with many of the same human themes and dystopian elements that are present in the best of zombie apocalypse movies, and it delivers a high octane style of action that is as white knuckle as anything I can ever remember seeing. The action is the best thrill ride I've experienced since Aliens, way back in 1986. Dawn's action sequences deliver thrills and excitement and I never once A.) stopped to think about the cinematic techniques involved or B.) found myself bored or disinterested.

Right now, that's the only remake that comes to mind that I've seen in recent years which stands up. If more come to mind, I'll post 'em.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
The Thing.

I've never seen the remake of Scarface, but it's obviously a lot more popular than the original.

You've never seen the al-pacino movie?

Cause the original is based on al capone.
Scar2.gif

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
You've never seen the al-pacino movie?

Cause the original is based on al capone.

Nah, I've only seen the first 10 minutes of the Pacino one. I've never seen the Godfather movies either.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
John Carpenter's "The Thing"
Phillip Kaufman's "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"
David Cronenberg's "The Fly"

...top three, easily. As far as horror movies go anyway.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I go back and forth concerning which version of Night of the Living Dead I like more, the Romero original or the Savini remake.

Let Me In was really well done.

aria

Former Moderator
If you count what I think is purely a marketing term "reboots", I would say the most recent Star Trek was awesome. Ocean's 11 was good. Those are two off the top of my head.

aria

Former Moderator
Nah, I've only seen the first 10 minutes of the Pacino one. I've never seen the Godfather movies either.

Now you've seen Scarface:

The Godfather is a little more complex, so you'll have to see it whole.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I really liked The Thing.

Dawn of the Dead was watchable.

TemJin3000

Axel's Trainer
Bad Lieutenant: Port of New Orleans. Nicolas Cage being crazy is never not fun IMHO.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Speaking of Cage:

WICKERMAN! :lolz:

Only if you're looking for a movie that can compete with Battlefield Earth for Worst Movie Ever Made. Or if you just absolutely positively must see Nic Cage punch Leelee Sobieski in the face. Either way. Just please no one watch that movie, it's painful.

On topic- Death Race is pretty awesome. The setpieces are sweet, Statham nails the part, the violence is over the top, it refuses to take itself too seriously, it's fun as hell.

aria

Former Moderator
The Sci-Fi Channel remake of Dune wasn't bad --if only because it kept a bit closer to the actual books and was followed up by movie versions of the 2nd and 3rd books (Dune Messiah and Children of Dune in the film "Children of Dune").

JRedmond3

NEST Puppet
It's already been said but yeah The Thing.

others:

3:10 to Yuma
Cape Fear
The Fly
Magnificent Seven (adaption of Seven Samurai)
Fistful of Dollars (adaptation of Yojimbo) - same stories, just set in the west instead of feudal japan

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I love the departed which is apparently a remake of one of the hongkong internal affairs films(which I have not yet seen).