Modern Automatic Gear Shift Stupidity

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I'm starting to look for a new car. At present, every car I've owned has had an automatic transmission with the gear shift on the steering column.

Why are these impossible to find on modern cars?

Instead we have this huge pointless gear shift taking up the whole middle of the front seat area that encroaches on valuable knee space, or in a pinch a spot for a third seat. Not to mention becoming an obstacle and hindrance to lucky instances of highway coitus.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
You sir, have obviously never owned a Buick.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Real men drive manuals.

manuals are less fuel efficient and more maintenance than modern automatics.

also, it's hard as hell to find them. and their resale is terrible.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member

So, the Porsche you bought is an automatic?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I hear the windows roll themselves up too, and the radio can get a transmission from the next county over!

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Instead we have this huge pointless gear shift taking up the whole middle of the front seat area that encroaches on valuable knee space, or in a pinch a spot for a third seat. Not to mention becoming an obstacle and hindrance to lucky instances of highway coitus.

It's there as a reminder....it could have had a "real" shifter. :keke:

01_hurstshifterreview-585x388.jpg

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
So, the Porsche you bought is an automatic?

Not quite the same as a daily commuter.

but actually my point is is still relevant. As of 2014 all new 911's are PDK only. Even the new 991 GT3 RS only comes with PDK.
Computers be smart man.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm starting to look for a new car. At present, every car I've owned has had an automatic transmission with the gear shift on the steering column.

Why are these impossible to find on modern cars?

I feel the same way, especially on trucks, SUVs (real ones) and full-size cars. Complete waste of space and road head is impeded. It's un-American! :(

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
To my understanding, When cars were being offered as manual and automatic they decided o use the floor/console area for both to shift as you can't effectively use a manual especially a 5 speed with a column shifter. Plus the transmission is right there below it in the floor so trying to use a column shifter would require a lot of extra crap to be operational. Also bucket seats eliminated bench seats on most cars as that is the preferred style these days and didn't really leave enough room for a 3rd passenger seat up front anyways. So function, design, preference are the reasons for the lack of column shifters on most (not all) modern cars.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Is-too-much-estrogen-causing-your-PMS.jpg

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
To my understanding, When cars were being offered as manual and automatic they decided o use the floor/console area for both to shift as you can't effectively use a manual especially a 5 speed with a column shifter. Plus the transmission is right there below it in the floor so trying to use a column shifter would require a lot of extra crap to be operational. Also bucket seats eliminated bench seats on most cars as that is the preferred style these days and didn't really leave enough room for a 3rd passenger seat up front anyways. So function, design, preference are the reasons for the lack of column shifters on most (not all) modern cars.

Honestly, I think it's a clear case of style over substance. Even if you don't want a bench seat, that extra space could be used for something else - cupholders, storage, controls, etc. I'd agree that manual column shifters sucked but we're talking about autos here.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey

It depends on the country you're in. Auto is not the norm everywhere. Fuel efficiency depends on the driver.

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Sounds like you are doing it wrong...

Drive a truck, almost all of them have column shifters.

Fuck cars.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Steering column shifters are only necessary if you have bench seats. And most cars have buckets nowadays.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sounds like you are doing it wrong...

Drive a truck, almost all of them have column shifters.

Fuck cars.

Yeah, my Ram is a column shifter...but it's the older 6 speed auto. The new 8 speed is a goofy turn dial on the dash:

2013-ram-1500-laramie-inline-4-photo-471173-s-original.jpg

Its the dial in the bottom left corner.

Steering column shifters are only necessary if you have bench seats. And most cars have buckets nowadays.

More and more cars have the "cockpit" design to them. Hell...most that I've seen do. I do not remember the last time I saw a sedan with a bench seat.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Bench style seats suck, I'd need to install a harness to keep me from flopping around everywhere when I take a corner.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
My truck has the shifter in the console between the seats...

But then it also has a clutch pedal. If you own a truck, fucking people are ALWAYS wanting to borrow it. Solution? Get a manual. Which you should do anyway. As to whoever made the argument about automatics getting better gas mileage, who fucking cares?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Funny thing is, I wouldn't mind a truck, but then everyone needs help moving heavy shit around. I don't see how having a standard would change that.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I bench seat has advantages...they have been mentioned in this thread already.
I had an old Celebrity in high school, and that bench seat was....amazing.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Must be an American thing. Can't say I've seen column gears in a long time. I'd say manual and auto are 50/50 here. Plus manuals are more fun to drive.

Last edited:

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
My truck has the shifter in the console between the seats...

But then it also has a clutch pedal. If you own a truck, fucking people are ALWAYS wanting to borrow it. Solution? Get a manual. Which you should do anyway. As to whoever made the argument about automatics getting better gas mileage, who fucking cares?
Very good point about borrowing the truck.

Also, fuel economy is very dependant on the driver. You can get fantastic economy in a stick if you drive it right... but most stick drivers are in it for fun, not mad MPGs.

AND... A manual gear box by design is much more efficient than an automatic, since the torque converter is eliminated. The maintenance is also simplified, assuming you don't fuck the clutch up. Even then, the manual box is lighter than an auto and is simpler to remove, so replacing a clutch isn't all that difficult.

BTW I'm biased. Go with whatever you like. If you really want a column shifter you might be stuck with something older. Maybe a newer Crown Vic?