lets talk art

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
i'm moving to a new apartment in a few months after having stayed in my current one for about 4 years. I've been on a big Mondrian kick lately and i've been thinkin about pickin up some prints... just curious what artists you guys are into.

Composition-with-Red-Blue-Yellow-Pr.jpg

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm game for just about anything.

I'm partial to Edward Hopper myself.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Not so into the minimalist look. It's kind of '80s.

I actually put my own paintings up in my apartment. I have 9 pieces up. Need more!

Hanging out at the Met a few weeks ago, I saw their Picasso exhibit. I haven't always liked his work, but I did really like his work on display there. He was a genius, and an asshole, but definitely a genius.

The piece I have in my bedroom was inspired by Lichtenstein and Matisse. I Lichtenstein'd a cover from Rolling Stone with Winona Ryder on it, over a replication of a Matisse that I did in pastel. But that peice was from 1995. I'm not really into either of those guys anymore. Some of my recent pieces are inspired by Farshchian, but my technique is lacking compared to his. The guy is a real genius.

I want to make a Richard Phillips inspired painting of Adam GLambert. I think it would be pretty awesome...

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
My Fave artist is Mr Brainwash, love most of his work so far. He usually has a area on his website showing you what he's done, but its down at the moment, but you can have a look at his website here www.MrBrainwash.com And here www.operagallery.com/ny/ny5/gallery/

You've most probably seen some of his prints, I have a few in my collection that I can wait to get framed (still decorating :very_ang: long story).

Mr Brainwash actually did his own take on that Mondrain print you've posted: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR-BRAINWASH-...wItem&pt=UK_art_prints_GL&hash=item255aacb441

Did a few selections with different coloured splash, but as you can see a great investment.

I mainly buy what I can afford and really like though.

I have that Micheal Monroe as seen in my sig, Elvis Presley Don't Be Cruel Print, Spock Monroe Print, Those 2 Obama Prints he also did. There's obviously been some really expensive prints I wouldn't of minded too.

Some of my collection:
mr-brainwash-michael-marilyn.jpg

mr-brainwash-marilyn-spock.jpg

mr-brainwash-obama-vs-mccain.jpg

MrBrainWashBMWLifeisBeautifulArtShowRR01.jpg

a1a.jpg

The Blue One of these:
mr-brainwash-dont-be-cruel2.jpg

Last edited:

scorponok

Not scorporock,
My favorite artist is Pushead.

I also like Daniel Shaw, he did a lot of art for the grindcore band Insect Warfare:

we.jpg

iwfid.jpg

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I'm a big fan of the Baroque age, pop art like Warhol and Lichtenstein, and more modern stuffs like Coop, Mark Ryden, and Ron English. Now this thread is making me want to paint again.

300px-caravaggio_jupiter_neptune_pluto.jpg

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Banksy, i love his work.

banksy.jpg

StarwarsBanksy.jpg

Last edited:

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Baroque and realism are my favorites.

This hangs in my living room. My grandparents bought it decades ago, then my mother inherited it. My mother wanted to get rid of it because she finds it "depressing" (must be the memories attached to it, not so much the painting itself), so I took it with me when I moved out.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Banksy, i love his work.

banksy.jpg

StarwarsBanksy.jpg

Ah yeah, love Banky's work, but getting his art prints at a reasonable price before they shoot up is like getting a BJ from the Queen. I do have a Banksy Tesco Soup Can print, but its unsigned unfortunately :(

2868004906_af1eb9b084.jpg

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
As much as I like Warhol, it really pains me to see photocopy pop art still being circulated as some sort of subversive movement. 40 years later and we're still doing the badly xeroxed photo collages?

Not so into the minimalist look. It's kind of '80s.

How is something painted in the 1930s "kind of 80s"?

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
As much as I like Warhol, it really pains me to see photocopy pop art still being circulated as some sort of subversive movement. 40 years later and we're still doing the badly xeroxed photo collages?

How is something painted in the 1930s "kind of 80s"?

Not bad saying they're Screen Prints, totally different process.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I know what they are and it was boring 30 years ago.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
My favorite artist is Pushead.

Seconded on this. Still have most of my favorite Pushead shirts and shit from back in the day (Zorlac, Metallica, etc)

Being an illustrator/concept artist myself I have kind of a wide range of interests in terms of other artists works....

Of course Frazetta tops the list-- but others in the same/similar vein that I really appreciate are Edmund Dulac, Howard Pyle, Arthur Rackham and NC Wyeth (though a little different from the aforementioned in comparison)

In addition check out John Singer Sargent (who in my opinion was one of the greatest painters of the 19th century) and Albert Bierstadt... both of them masters of color while both having very different aesthetics to their art.

For a contemporary Concept Artist check out this dude, Paul Richards... www.autodestruct.com... super cool guy and a phenomenal artist.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
some people put way too high a price on boring art.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm a big fan of the Baroque age, pop art like Warhol and Lichtenstein, and more modern stuffs like Coop, Mark Ryden, and Ron English. Now this thread is making me want to paint again.

300px-caravaggio_jupiter_neptune_pluto.jpg

I do not like Baroque art.

I do like Neo-Classical art and impressionism.

I like a lot of the history surrounding the art and particular pieces almost as much as the pieces themselves. Hence why one of my favorite artists is David, that interesting french bastard.

I also enjoy sculpture.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
I've been a longtime fan of Shepard Fairey, I have about two dozen of his prints. I also have a few T. Stout, which is more for fun. I also have a fun Tokyo print by eBoy. I like a lot of more traditional artists, but I don't want to do poster reprints so I just admire them at museums. I don't know how many people here are similar, but really fell for Mark Rothko when I first went to MOCA in LA and saw a lot of his works up close --there's something about their scale.

I like some British mod art, but some of it can also be terrible --but that's modern art in general.

I enjoy some surrealist paintings... It would be cool to own The Treachery of Images.

One of my favorite sculptors is Bernini, he was a classic polymath.

Banksy, i love his work.

I have a nice art book of his, but if only I could afford the real deal (but then again, the best stuff is on walls...)

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I do not like Baroque art.

I do like Neo-Classical art and impressionism.

I like a lot of the history surrounding the art and particular pieces almost as much as the pieces themselves. Hence why one of my favorite artists is David, that interesting french bastard.

I also enjoy sculpture.

Haha, I actually really dislike impressionism. I just find it boring and repetitive. Out of all of them, I tend to only like Van Gogh, Manet, and Degas.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
it boggles my mind how much importance some of you place on artwork you could be creating yourselves.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
I've been a longtime fan of Shepard Fairey, I have about two dozen of his prints. I also have a few T. Stout, which is more for fun. I also have a fun Tokyo print by eBoy. I like a lot of more traditional artists, but I don't want to do poster reprints so I just admire them at museums. I don't know how many people here are similar, but really fell for Mark Rothko when I first went to MOCA in LA and saw a lot of his works up close --there's something about their scale.

I like some British mod art, but some of it can also be terrible --but that's modern art in general.

I enjoy some surrealist paintings... It would be cool to own The Treachery of Images.

One of my favorite sculptors is Bernini, he was a classic polymath.

I have a nice art book of his, but if only I could afford the real deal (but then again, the best stuff is on walls...)

Ya i have Banksy: Wall and Piece, quite a interesting read.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I have a Mucha print on my wall....it's the only thing on my wall.
Monaco-Monte-Carlo.jpg