iPhone 3G - Who's Taking the Plunge This Friday?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Pffft, I'm already camping in line right now, posting from my old dinosaur 2nd gen iPhone. Luckily there's a Starbucks next door so I can stay awake for this great milestone in my life.

lol, the image of a guy holding starbucks coffee while in line for an iphone is perfect.

BTW, Boriqua - aren't there spambot you can use to post this kind of stuff for you, and on a bunch of boards to boot. This is just inefficient marketing, man.

playboycougar

Reese. ,
I like my old iphone (8G) :)

Even though I'm getting the 3G, a buddy of mine at work has a 4GB one that's really beat up (scratches all over the back, but the glass is nice) that I'm going to grab for $70 or so. Not bad for a steampunked iPhone ;)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
No. Just appreciate their hardware and software, and enjoy their designs. My BB Curve is a POS that takes unbearably long to switch between applications and I need to get rid of that ASAP.

The price is really too good to shittalk on the new one, if you get it on the indentured servitude plan. But it still fails to get consideration as my next phone.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

the indentured servitude plan is where you can actually fool yourself into thinking you're buying an iPhone for $299, but really you're locking yourself into $70 a month for 2 years (+$5 if you want 200 text messages, you know, to contact people who are on regular old cell phones...). When you break it down, you really have to wonder what you're paying for.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/06/BUMG11J6QH.DTL

Just to break it down, I'd seriously consider getting a hacked G1 iphone instead, and popping in a simcard from a cheaper provider. $30 a month on the SERO plan for 2 years, with a hacked G1 iphone is roughly 40% the cost of the new iphone + the mandatory 2 year contract.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
the indentured servitude plan is where you can actually fool yourself into thinking you're buying an iPhone for $299, but really you're locking yourself into $70 a month for 2 years (+$5 if you want 200 text messages, you know, to contact people who are on regular old cell phones...). When you break it down, you really have to wonder what you're paying for.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/06/BUMG11J6QH.DTL

Just to break it down, I'd seriously consider getting a hacked G1 iphone instead, and popping in a simcard from a cheaper provider. $30 a month on the SERO plan for 2 years, with a hacked G1 iphone is roughly 40% the cost of the new iphone + the mandatory 2 year contract.

It's true you need to take into account how much you will be raped by monthly fee's, but most people don't think about it they only think about how cheap they got the phone for in the first place.

When the 3G iPhone was first announced many websites gave you the low down on how much you will pay for monthly fees so people should be prepared by now for it if not it's your fault for not doing your homework.

playboycougar

Reese. ,
It's true you need to take into account how much you will be raped by monthly fee's, but most people don't think about it they only think about how cheap they got the phone for in the first place.

When the 3G iPhone was first announced many websites gave you the low down on how much you will pay for monthly fees so people should be prepared by now for it if not it's your fault for not doing your homework.
No doubt. Definitely need to take this into consideration. I'm paying $80 for my blackberry on Tmo right now. My rate will be going up to $90 something. I feel it's worth it for 3G and to have a fully functioning iPhone.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Nice :D It looks like my upgrade does qualify to buy the phone at the cheaper price of course the 2 year agreement is a must but thats no problem.

Last edited:

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I'm down for an 8GB model.

Time to retire the RAZR V3 I guess. It's been a good phone, but I need something with a lot more features. I'll be using it for work also, so the Exchange Enterprise features are highly appealing.

I'm feeling a little strange though, I already have an iPod Classic. Now an iPhone. Christ, what's next? An iMac by the end of the year? It's all so odd to me, being a lifetime PC guy. I guess now that I work with Microsoft desktop and server OS's daily I'm more interested in an alternative when I come home at night.

If I find myself driving a Passat I'm going to kill myself. :mad:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I like the technology, but the pricing just isn't there yet (in Canada, anyways).

I was listening to conservative radio (am 640 if you must know) and during their technology segment, they discussed the Rogers online petition and remarked how it was being signed by people who just can't afford it.

They just don't get it, do they?

This era of locking us into phone contracts needs to stop.

The iPhone is cool, but being that douche who shows off his new tech toy to people that could hardly care isn't worth paying thousands for a couple of years of gimped service restrictions.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
taking the plunge?

more like who's getting plunged.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
is Boriqua already camping outside his store for this? it's like he posts a thread and then abandons it. Fucking guy.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
and what is that? having steve jobs personally withdraw all your savings from the bank?

And sometimes it feels like he's pounding the shit in your ass so far that it's coming out of your dick.

Trust me, I know. I own one of the first CoreDuo 2.0 GHz Macbooks off the line. Thing breaks down every three months (little things too, things they say they won't do a whole replacement on.)

Fuckers.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Since Boriqua works for Apple I motion that we delete all Apple related threads he creates as they are clearly conflicts of interest.

Does he really just want to inform us...or is it all a clever ploy to get the dummies of NG.com to buy Apple product?

Somehow, my money, is on the latter.

I mean...in a way he is just getting a kickback anyway.

It's ok if he posts in Apple threads, though.

:smirk:

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Some people just jock the hell out of Apple and whatever they create. I have a cousin who is a Apple fan boy yet he uses a Windows Vista PC :lolz: go figure.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,

playboycougar

Reese. ,
is Boriqua already camping outside his store for this? it's like he posts a thread and then abandons it. Fucking guy.

I'm heading out in an hour and a half.

QQ: If I have all my contacts in Outlook at work, can I sync them to the iPhone with iTunes in Winblows and then sync them from the iPhone onto my personal MacBook?

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Pffft, I'm already camping in line right now, posting from my old dinosaur 2nd gen iPhone. Luckily there's a Starbucks next door so I can stay awake for this great milestone in my life.
Haha, sig'd.