iPad: who got one?

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I mentioned before that if it had a camera it would be the next big thing for businesses to use, being able to conference call from anywhere, but that is sadly not an option.

Plus, you'd need a low-latency, high-bandwidth, and reliable cellular network. Not gonna happen soon in the US.

SSS

neo retired
They announced add ons like that when it was initially unveiled. I guess it's a nifty concept. Imagine disconnecting your laptop screen and taking it with you while getting most of the same functionality. In that regard it's pretty cool. However, the price point is pretty high and it lacks some key features. Also in all honesty I can't see a legitimate use for me (College/grad school) at this point. I mentioned before that if it had a camera it would be the next big thing for businesses to use, being able to conference call from anywhere, but that is sadly not an option. I'm also at a point where I am not desperate to have internet access everywhere I go. NG.com does not really need to be accessible at hip point 24/7

there's no need to detach the screen, a bunch of netbooks have touch capability and the screen flips around for a tablet profile.

SHAZAM!

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/07/asus-eee-pc-t91-touchscreen-netbook-review.html

lol iPad

I'll buy an iPad soon. I watch a ton of video on my ancient iPod Classic and it will be a lot more enjoyable on the iPad.

The device will be great for content consumption. Plus it's got an LED backlit IPS panel. All the imitation devices that are sure to come won't even come close to that.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Who Knows, When Apple first presented the Macbook Air, everybody laughed...

Last Fall, Netbooks were the rage.

So I can't totally hate on the concept. Tho somebody will probably make a better touch tablet.

Wasn't the Air a flop, sales wise ?

Alienware now has a $750 netbook that'll run pretty much any new game on the market on medium to high settings. Performance wise it's on par with $1,700 Macbook Pro, plus it has equal batterly life.

datalogik

Zero's Tailor,
Managed to pick up a 64gb version, but not to keen on using it as an e-book reader. My wrist grew tired after about 30 min reading that free Winnie The Pooh book. All in all it's great for everything else.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Alienware now has a $750 netbook that'll run pretty much any new game on the market on medium to high settings. Performance wise it's on par with $1,700 Macbook Pro, plus it has equal batterly life.

Really...? Interesting.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Wasn't the Air a flop, sales wise ?

It's $800, and actually on par with the regular, $1000 MacBook. It's got a better graphics chip, but half the hard drive space and a slow processor. They are definitely filling a niche by providing a cheap laptop with a decent graphics card, but its overall performance is not that stunning.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
It's $800, and actually on par with the regular, $1000 MacBook. It's got a better graphics chip, but half the hard drive space and a slow processor. They are definitely filling a niche by providing a cheap laptop with a decent graphics card, but its overall performance is not that stunning.

Don't know about that. I saw reviews of it running some of the newer games at reasonable frame rates and my friend's Macbook (got it for x-mas) won't run shit for games. It struggles to run Warhammer Online unless you turn the settings down. As for gaming goes, you'd have to go Pro to get equal ability due to the video card.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Don't know about that. I saw reviews of it running some of the newer games at reasonable frame rates and my friend's Macbook (got it for x-mas) won't run shit for games. It struggles to run Warhammer Online unless you turn the settings down. As for gaming goes, you'd have to go Pro to get equal ability due to the video card.

Well of course, games are almost always GPU-bound, especially on laptops. As a general-purpose machine it's nothing new.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

Interesting... basically the exact same article GunstarHero posted, but with much more adolescent type humor. Like, Onion Jr. or something. Not that I haven't been there, and many times thanks to a Sony fucking piece of shit that didn't work the way it was supposed to.

It's funny, too, because Apple really is taking the market and customers Sony used to dominate. The personal portable multimedia products that sell regardless of what they do. It makes me wonder if Apple will ever release another Pippin. Will they get that bold to dominate the game market. Who could discredit them? Seriously, they have the chops and the customer base in tow. They also look at the unlikely Microsoft who is thriving in that market. Where they are at now is pretty amazing, though. They have pretty much one product. Their computers are secondary these days. I'd love to see the sales figures. What do you think the iPhone/iPad/iPod sales are in relation to desktop/server/notebook sales.

The iWhatevers are pretty much just versions of the same and I can imagine the cost of production is down enormously. They are in a market position that they can release iterations to standing applause and long queues out front to buy it. When viral marketing first started taking off, they described it in two ways. The hive mind, and the Apple customer. Those were actually industry examples... Envious position to be in. At this point I'd almost welcome their attempts at a new game system. The iPhone has a great library of game developers (with better or worse games) at the ready and a more powerful system based on the same ARM architecture could basically just explode.

Anyway... Apple gets a lot of shit... but I don't hate Apple. I hate the die hard Apple fans, but then I sit back and go, yeah, I also hate the die hard Sony, Microsoft... and... even I am a self admitted Nokia fan that spends way too much money on their horribly assembled shit that doesn't fucking do what it is supposed to half the God damn time. We all got to blow our money somewhere. Buying stupid fucking shit that doesn't do what it is supposed to is so much a part of our culture that doing anything else is simply... And don't you look at me hippie fags. You spend a fortune on raw-vegan food, health supplements, and acai berries that don't do a fucking thing either...

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
And don't you look at me hippie fags. You spend a fortune on raw-vegan food, health supplements, and acai berries that don't do a fucking thing either...

That's a bad superfluous spending comparison.

None of those things are a panacea by any means but they do help your body.

Everyone needs a body; nobody needs an iPad.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

Oh no... touched a nerve, did I? Yeah, I shop at Whole Foods too, but I'm not completely disillusioned by the experience.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

balance. No one needs to be vegan. Except dead people.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I don't think I've ever shopped at a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

Maybe once or twice.

balance. No one needs to be vegan. Except dead people.

Veganism is a moral choice, not a health-conscious one, that's for sure.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I don't think I've ever shopped at a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

Maybe once or twice.

There are just as many health-nuts that go out chasing the next new food trend as there are people lined up outside of Apple stores. From coconut water to quinoa (which is now added to juices as an energy booster), from kombucha to raw-diary cheese... The health benefits are definitely questionable, yet as one fades out the next wonder-food steps in to replace it. This isn't a diatribe on the relevance of health food, though. What makes you happy, etc, etc. The point is that there are just as many people who would scoff at the idea of buying an iPad, deeming it unnecessary and frivolous, then drop $150 at Whole Foods on twenty items or less. Again, we all have to blow our money some how...

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'll just stop this here with a statement that hopefully we can all agree on:

Rabid Apple fanboys are just as annoying and nonsensical in their overly-enthusiastic beliefs as new-age hippie militant vegans/vegetarians are.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I'll just stop this here with a statement that hopefully we can all agree on:

Rabid Apple fanboys are just as annoying and nonsensical in their overly-enthusiastic beliefs as new-age hippie militant vegans/vegetarians are.

I can agree with that. I think we all have a bit of that overly-enthusiastic willingness to drop good coin on worthless product, though. Every last one of us
icon8.gif

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The one highlight of getting laid off many months back was that it forced better spending habits upon me that continued once money started coming back in.

My inclination to buy has definitely decreased a hundredfold and I find it largely preferable than my previous "buy something to buy something" mentality; outside of the occasional cheap used game or movie I don't spend much aside from the essentials.

I wouldn't mind an e-reader or an iPhone but I don't need them so I don't buy them.

Everyone should try being poor for at least a little while... has its advantages.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Haha, so I'm the idiot because:

- I'm an early adopter
- Because it's an Apple product
- Because I make, and then correct, typos on a virtual keyboard
- Because I have some disposable income
- Because I'm satisfied with something that I purchased.
- Because it looks and acts like a giant iPhone
- Because it's a tablet that isn't running Windows
- Because it's not a netbook
- Because it's not a PC
- Because it won't hold its value as well as Euro Kizuna

You guys are hilarious, you're like a gaggle of angry, cheap old-ladies.

There are plenty of counter points to the myriad dumb arguments I've heard over and over whenever anyone has the audacity to get excited about a product by Apple, but I won't go into them because unemployed pundits, who clearly are far superior at making decisions with all their free time, think I've made a stupid purchase.

Nearly everyday, I work with Windows 7, CentOS, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Android, and OS X on the multitudes of devices that run them at home and at work. All are great computing environments with all kinds of wonderful features and capabilities. All have their strengths and weaknesses, but all of them often require you to trick them into doing what you want them to do.

There is something to be said about technology that just works. This thing, so far, just works.

That makes me happy.

Boom goes the dynamite.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Haha, so I'm the idiot because:

- I'm an early adopter

Just this one, not the others you listed. And I wouldn't say "idiot."

But look at the first couple generations of iPod Touch and iPhone. Less than 3 years old and already left behind. They don't support many of the newer, better games/apps. I'd be upset if I had one, because I'd now need to buy another.

It depends on your level of disposable income, of course. And you're helping the economy, so that's cool. And like I said earlier, early adopters like you are what drive them to develop better versions and allow the price to eventually drop for us normal people out here, so you go, girl.