Hand-drawn game map I did

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
Map of the overworld for Final Fantasy Adventure on Game Boy that I drew several years ago.
ffadvmap.jpg

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
WOW dude that is impressive must have taken a long time. how did you draw such small things with that kind of detail? i cant draw for crap so this is cool

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wow. You did it screen by screen, that's impressive.

Back in the day I also had to draw maps to play through some NES games, but they all looked like chicken scratch pirate treasure maps and no one else but myself could actually understand them. XD

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Very cool! Needs a legend for points of interest though. I played through that game again when I was doing research for my Chocobot action figure, and that map would have been nice to have (the game did come with one, if memory serves, but it was just a bunch of screenshots knitted together, not actual artwork).

I remember the artist dude in Gamepro (Mao I believe) complaining that he had to draw out all of the levels by hand for Super Mario Land back in the day, that would have sucked.

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks all. I used a fairly thin mechanical pencil to get the detail. I'm left-handed, so I tried to draw it from lower-right to upper-left as best I could to avoid insane pencil smudges.

I remember the maps in the Nintendo Power Super Mario Bros 3 guide were all hand drawn - and in color. That must've been nuts.

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This map is very well done - so much attention to detail!
It reminds me of the old days when game magazines were full of hand drawn maps and boss strategies.

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You surely have an amazing talent for drawing. Wish i could do that, i still have the skills of a 5 year old. :oh_no:

Do you have something else to show us that´s not a map? Maybe some character portraits?
How long did it take to finish that map?

aria

Former Moderator
That's awesome. Now I need to get around to playing that --I had tried out FF Legend, but never realized Adventure was a blessed Zelda-style game. ERG... so many discoveries after the fact. At least I finally found my old GB.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
It got updated on GBA too, Bobak, renamed Sword of Mana. I've only played the GBA version briefly, so I can't say myself, but the reviews I've read seem to indicate that the original is the better of the two, despite being in gray-scale (they messed with the story and gameplay in the GBA update). Anyway, it's one of my favorite GB games of all time, I definitely recommend Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden in Japan) to anyone who likes action RPGs.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
It got updated on GBA too, Bobak, renamed Sword of Mana. I've only played the GBA version briefly, so I can't say myself, but the reviews I've read seem to indicate that the original is the better of the two, despite being in gray-scale (they messed with the story and gameplay in the GBA update). Anyway, it's one of my favorite GB games of all time, I definitely recommend Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden in Japan) to anyone who likes action RPGs.

whats the verdict on sword of mana?
I can't remember what square game it was,
but someone talked me out of getting one of the games.
I can't remember if it was in that series.

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
Do you have something else to show us that´s not a map? Maybe some character portraits?
How long did it take to finish that map?
Took a good week or so, going at it an hour or two a day.

The only non-map one I have handy at the moment, done around the same time, and a cheesy little parody of sorts...
goodaliens.jpg

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
I did those at an old job where I sat on my ass 90% of the time and worked 10%. Now it's the other way around, and I sort of miss having the time to do stuff like that.

I've always wanted to take a stab at a map of Metal Slug 3's branching paths, but I imagine that's probably already been done via screenshot sorting.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Very awesome, it reminds me of the maps drawn in The Triology of the Rings and The Hobbit books.

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
yep, just wanted to agree with everyone else giving this positive feedback. nice work.