Games today suck....

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I completely disagree. With rising production costs there are less games being made and less bad games as well. The 90s had a slew of garbage ala 3d0 Jaguar CD-I and so on. Today less bad titles hit the market, and there are plenty of good ones. GoW, Katamaris, guitar hero, etc.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Cry cry cry.

These threads don't ever get any less pathetic.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
I'm with you on this to a point...

I can't play fighting games anymore. I used to love them, but I can't go back to even the old favorites for more than 20-30 minutes.

Why? Fighting games, I think, are one of the few genres that have an inherently complex interface (ie. lots of moves/combos/button presses to memorize) - this hasn't changed in the last 15 years.

I have, though. I can't be bothered to remember each characters special moves. If the interface isn't completely obvious to me, I just give up; move on.

Look at most new games, though. Stuff that used to be simple (platformers, for example) now requires a tutorial level. How about a baseball game? There's so much stuff on-screen I don't know what to do anymore. All of this 3rd person squad-based shooting stuff? I won't even try.

I'm sure they're fun games and all... it's just that when I get home from my 9-to-5, I don't want to expend the mental energy to memorize a complicated set of controls.

And sure enough, when I go through my shelf of games from the last generation, basically everything there could be played with an NES controller. And if you ask me, that's how it should be.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Nick Goracke said:
Look at most new games, though. Stuff that used to be simple (platformers, for example) now requires a tutorial level. How about a baseball game? There's so much stuff on-screen I don't know what to do anymore. All of this 3rd person squad-based shooting stuff? I won't even try.

I'm sure they're fun games and all... it's just that when I get home from my 9-to-5, I don't want to expend the mental energy to memorize a complicated set of controls.

And sure enough, when I go through my shelf of games from the last generation, basically everything there could be played with an NES controller. And if you ask me, that's how it should be.

QFT.

While I'm not about to give up my romps with
BLACK, Max Payne, KILLZONE and a a few other
kinds of games that just can't be done in 2-D,
I'm rediscovering and playing up the wazoo the oldies
once again and really don't think I'll jump on the PS3
or X360 anytime in the next year or so. I'm all about
the Mega Drive fo' life and the 8-Bit Famicom overall
else.

The games today really are too complicated for their
own good. If the game can't be done with (3) buttons
it's a mess to begin with, and if it takes more than (6)
it's probably just hype anyhow.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
DevilRedeemed said:
I don't know man.. as contraversial as this may seem I think there X10 more AAA games for the Playstation than there are for the Dreamcast. I mean I like my Dreamcast, but overall, I just never felt that things went in the right direction.
Playstation era was the mid to late neo geo golden era, also a time when good arcade games where still being made. and ofcourse the Saturn era.
so all in all, unless I've missinterpreted your post, I wholeheartedly disagree.

The Dreamcast is also very bad. 3D games were glitchy and ugly in the PSX era though. At least the DC looked good playing bad games. I'd rather play import shooters from that era than any of the old 3D stuff. Why do you think Mario 64 was considered so revolutionary? It's because the bulk of early PSX era games that did 3D weren't very good.

The arcade scene doesn't count because I'm just talking about games in general. The average game coming out in that period was sloppy by today's standards. That's NOT to say that there aren't some gems. Pretty much every major system has its share of A+ titles! No doubt. But games now are much more polished overall. Even low scoring games are pretty good relative to what used to be a bad game. The original Sonic Adventure is a buggy piece of crap, but it still got okay scores. When it's rereleased as a "new" Xbox360 game last month, it's given awful reviews for the same problems that used to be okay. People demand more.

It's okay to disagree though. It's all opinion anyway. Just showing where I stand more clearly.

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
DC is a sentimental favorite... that's all. If you objectively look at DC, PS2 (and to a lesser extent, Xbox) has better games for every genre. Shmups? Yup. RPGs? No contest. Sports games? Winning Eleven & NFL 2K5 Fighters? VF5 and SF3 You can go on and on. Heck, PS2 even got DC's Rez. And Xbox got DC's Shenmue 2 (which is alot better than 1).

However, I am keeping my DC for a few quirky games that never got ported to PS2/Xbox. Like Typing of the Dead, Samba De Amigo and Twinstick-enabled VOOT.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
I have as much fun as I've ever had with video games when I buy a new console. Especially when I realize how much things have changed since I was 5 playing an Atari 2600 and NES.