Firearm enthusiast thread

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
o15TKXG.jpg

I just knew I was going to end up with one of these.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Lol the KSG!?

I have been trying to convince my wife to let me buy one. I am interested in the double barrel version.

On another note be careful:
https://www.thegunwriter.com/19139/another-devastating-kel-tec-ksg-injury/

I had a KSG, had.
It was heavy as hell and kinda finicky on the cycling.
Having to flip the lever to select the feed tube was slow & somewhat awkward.
Loading/unloading is also weird and when it had a problem, it was a PROBLEM.
While the KS7 still will probably have the loading/unloading issue, they seemingly managed to fix some of the other problems.
Cycling the action is far more positive & confidence inspiring.
Weight is greatly reduced as well.
Sure the capacity went from 14 to 7 but my long term comparison is an 870 with a +2 extension so
Only having 7-8 rounds is normal to me.
The KS7 comes with a fiber optic front sight where as the KSG came with nothing.
The number one bonus is the width. I'm amazed just how much better the gun seems to handle with it
being so much thinner.
So far, in my opinion, the KS7 is what the KSG should have been in the beginning with the 14
round version being the neat other option.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm still waiting for that elusive shotgun that is "fun" to shoot.

Firearms are definitely different strokes for different folks, but to this day, I still despise shooting shotguns. I still have my FN TPS and will likely never shed the thing. It's reliable, built like a brick crapper, and functional...but I'll admit that I haven't shot the thing in years, I hate the thing that much.

My good friend bought a 930 JM series autoloader, we took it out, it shoots fine I guess. Nothing I'd consider fun, but it ran high brass shot well with no hiccups. He hasn't taken it out of his safe since.

For me, I finally ordered a chronograph. Playing with 9mm, 38 special, and 44 special reloads like I have, I really need some solid FPS data moving forward.

I won't bore most of you here with the fine point details, but 38 special reloading has been a snap, 44 special is ok but I'm having leading issues, and 9mm is going ok enough, although I'm learning that I really need a chronograph for that round.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm still waiting for that elusive shotgun that is "fun" to shoot.

Firearms are definitely different strokes for different folks, but to this day, I still despise shooting shotguns. I still have my FN TPS and will likely never shed the thing. It's reliable, built like a brick crapper, and functional...but I'll admit that I haven't shot the thing in years, I hate the thing that much.

I hate 12ga shotguns myself. I always go for the tactical shorter barreled ones, and even with a good pad those still hurt to shoot (and I'm a big guy). Shooting like a huge ~30" shotgun with a massive pad (like something you would shoot ducks with), is definitely a lot better, but those were never 'tactical' enough for my style.

I will say however that one broke this mold and was tactical: my favorite shotgun of all time was a Saiga 12 with Enidine Shot Stock Hydraulic Recoil Buffer. Marketing aside, that stock just worked. I could literally drop an entire drum mag of slugs, and sure, I would get pushed back without a doubt (probably had to re-stance at least once), but literally no pain or soreness no matter how much I shot. Was fine with buck shot as well with a couple different springs installed. Could do torso size shots with slugs at 100 yards with the stock sights too which is great in my opinion (surely surprised me the first time I did it). Back then, those sucked for parts though. Break a firing pin or something and there simply wasn't a replacement available (hope that's changed by now).

VkZP651.jpg

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Anybody has any experiences with a FedArm AR-15 16"? Is this a brand that's at all known / popular in the US?

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Anybody has any experiences with a FedArm AR-15 16"? Is this a brand that's at all known / popular in the US?

Never heard of it but I'm not on the firearm forums nearly as much as I used to be. If you're looking for a budget brand we've all been happy with Palmetto State Armory in my circle. During the craziness after Sandy Hook (when people thought they would surely ban AR-15's) something like 4-5 or my friends bought rifles from them and nobody has had any problems many years later. I've built a couple from their cheap ~$50 lowers since then and all the parts dropped in perfectly. They can take a while to ship though.

HellioN

20 Year Member
So Beretta had a 35% off code for there web store.
Scored an SBR kit for my ARX-100.
Guess that will be getting a stamp before one of my ARs or even my Uzi.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This kind of falls under the "if anybody cares" category...

I've been diving down the road of hot 44 magnum reloading and think I pushed things just about as far as I want to last weekend. Looking here:

http://ballistics101.com/44_magnum.php

Just about the fastest that anyone is pushing is 240g projectile from a 44 magnum is Buffalo Bore which has a lead 240 +P load rated at 1535 fps.

I was goofing around with some loads to see what I could push and got some loads up in the high 1500, low 1600 fps range. The chrono was at 10'. I think I've hit my wall, 1600+ fps from a revolver is a serious hand smacker.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
This kind of falls under the "if anybody cares" category...

I've been diving down the road of hot 44 magnum reloading and think I pushed things just about as far as I want to last weekend. Looking here:

http://ballistics101.com/44_magnum.php

Just about the fastest that anyone is pushing is 240g projectile from a 44 magnum is Buffalo Bore which has a lead 240 +P load rated at 1535 fps.

I was goofing around with some loads to see what I could push and got some loads up in the high 1500, low 1600 fps range. The chrono was at 10'. I think I've hit my wall, 1600+ fps from a revolver is a serious hand smacker.

What's your opinion on hand loading, how's the learning curve

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
What's your opinion on hand loading, how's the learning curve

Hmmm...how to address that.

First off, its right up my alley (and may be the same to you as well). In the same way I used to love assembling engines, I love reloading. Attention to detail and following the instructions are critical. I pay 100% attention when I'm reloading and its proven to be and abstract form of therapy for me as it gets my mind off of other things.

Concerning the difficulty...I really don't consider it any harder than anything else, follow the rules, don't deviate until you really know what you're doing.

There's a wealth of knowledge online. Look at a site like this:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

You can go on there, pick your caliber, pick your projectile and it will tell you nearly all the info you need to know. Case length, primer type, projectile seating depth, powder charge, est feet per second and case pressure, it's all there. All of the data you'll find on sites like that (there's tons of other powder makers outside of hodgdon, all will give you safe and reliable info for reloading.

Second, the hardware. I went middle of the road on what's considered to the one of (if not the) best reloading machines on the market, Dillon. I went with the 550, they also make a 750 and a 1050 but I didn't need the features they provide. I have about $1500 or so and that gets me the machine and everything I need to reload .38 special, .357 magnum, 44 special, 44 magnum, and 9mm. If one caliber is something you want, they make a machine that's called the square deal that reloads one caliber only.

Money savings? Eh...that's a completely different conversation. That all has to do with how much you shoot and what you shoot. In time, my setup will definitely pay for itself...but it will take a while. With the 44 special I've shot this year, I saved $300 over what I would have dropped on factory ammo...so whatever I've spent -$300...

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
In a nutshell: reloading pistol calibers is pretty simple. Reloading rifle calibers (think 2,500+ FPS), and meant for long distances (i.e. not at the ~25 yard range and below like pistols are traditionally used for) is where it starts to get a LOT harder. I basically stopped reloading rifle rounds except for my subsonic 300 Blackout (which leans a bit more towards a pistol round type anyway, even if the case is still technically necked).

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Never heard of it but I'm not on the firearm forums nearly as much as I used to be. If you're looking for a budget brand we've all been happy with Palmetto State Armory in my circle. During the craziness after Sandy Hook (when people thought they would surely ban AR-15's) something like 4-5 or my friends bought rifles from them and nobody has had any problems many years later. I've built a couple from their cheap ~$50 lowers since then and all the parts dropped in perfectly. They can take a while to ship though.

I took the plunge and overall pretty happy. I am in Poland and cheaper AR15 options are not that abundant - in terms of rifles we mainly rock AKs / Beryl / Tantal - but the local dealer is pretty awesome in terms of customer service. Mine had a bad hammer spring - got replaced within one hour of dropping the rifle off to the dealer. Very fun to shoot and cost me less than my G19X.

2019-09-04 18.06.37.jpg

So far I got a Magpul front grip, LPA iron sights and a ACOG 4x32 from Ali (pretty good quality for the price).

HellioN

20 Year Member
Start to finish?

We get NFA toys here in MO.
I E-filed a form 1 (make it myself) to SBR my Beretta ARX & from the day I filed to the day I was approved took 36 days.
A form 4 (transfer of an existing item) right now is anywhere from 12 to 18 months.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
We get NFA toys here in MO.
I E-filed a form 1 (make it myself) to SBR my Beretta ARX & from the day I filed to the day I was approved took 36 days.
A form 4 (transfer of an existing item) right now is anywhere from 12 to 18 months.

Ah....I couldn't quite tell if it was a SBR by the picture, nor could I tell if it had an arm brace or an actual stock.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Ah....I couldn't quite tell if it was a SBR by the picture, nor could I tell if it had an arm brace or an actual stock.

It does have kind of a weird stock.
The barrel is the 10.3" Factory Beretta SBR kit, this chopping the oal down by 6" and shedding at least a pound.
At least that's how it feels.
If I do another one it will probably be my Uzi.
The braces are good enough for me on an AR pistol.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's funny...shooting a large bore magnum revolver will make you feel "like a virgin" again...

There is such a learning curve with one, they're so damn difficult to master. With the 1800 fps 180g hand smackers I'm currently loading, I can't stand much more than about 40 of them before my hands are too sore to shoot anymore.

I took out my 38 revolver just so I could get a win for the day...my shit groups with the 44 weren't a good way to end the day.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Just curious if you use any kind of shooting glove or do you just bare hand it?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Just curious if you use any kind of shooting glove or do you just bare hand it?

Bareback...is there any other way?

...in all seriousness, my Super Redhawk has some pretty nice grips on it. They're OEM Hogue tamer grips and offer a massive amount of cushion on the thumb webbing. I've never considered shooting gloves, maybe that would be a good idea. My right hand is still slightly sore today...

When I had those solid woog grips on my 629, I literally bruised my palm shooting magnum loads (factory loads, mind you). These smokers I'm now reloading aren't loads I'd try in that 629.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Ok.
The only gloves I've ever worn shooting have been the mechanic type.
My last job gave us padded gloves (we did lots of riveting) and I never thought to try them shooting.
Then again I don't have anything big bore to beat myself up with.
Honestly the worst one is probably that little 442 air weight S&W.