Explosions near finish of Boston Marathon

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I work about a block down from the finish line on Boylston Street, and many of my co-workers heard the explosions (I did not).

My office faces the opposite end (facing towards the river/MIT), so I can't really get any good pictures...but I can hear all the sirens.

Pretty crazy.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Going rumor is a faulty steampipe.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
pic from my co-workers office, can't see much. That white tent is right in front of the boston public library, which is pretty close to the finish line/where i think the blasts occurred.

We got the go ahead to leave, but frankly I'd rather stick around the office then go out right now.

I take the commuter rail in, which is probably shut down anyway.

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Police just found and detonated another device

Tacitus

Staff member
Boston Police just called in all off-duty cops and are performing at least one controlled explosion of another device.

Fuck man.. this is bad.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'm hearing that some of the injuries seem to be from ball bearings or shotgun pellets. Sounds like pipe bombs. Probably (speculation) a lone bomber, maybe protesting taxes, as bok suggested.

Tacitus

Staff member
I'm hearing that some of the injuries seem to be from ball bearings or shotgun pellets. Sounds like pipe bombs. Probably (speculation) a lone bomber, maybe protesting taxes, as bok suggested.

Boston Tea Party and all, also.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
More loose and wild speculation. The last mile of the marathon was dedicated to the Newton victims. Many of the families would have been in attendance in that area. Could be a Newton conspiracy theorist.

If that's the case, Alex Jones may soon regret his swift speculation about this bombing being a "false flag" operation. (Or perhaps he won't.)

Tacitus

Staff member
More loose and wild speculation. The last mile of the marathon was dedicated to the Newton victims. Many of the families would have been in attendance in that area. Could be a Newton conspiracy theorist.

If that's the case, Alex Jones may soon regret his swift speculation about this bombing being a "false flag" operation. (Or perhaps he won't.)

Alex Jones is a douche.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
From Twitter:

NBC Nightly News ‏@nbcnightlynews 9m
BREAKING: Small homemade bomb is preliminary cause of explosion at Boston Marathon, law enforcement officials tell NBC News

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
The Associated Press ‏@AP 1m
BREAKING: Intelligence official: 2 more explosive devices found at Boston Marathon; being dismantled

side note: doesnt really seem like some lone crazy guy, rather its alot more organized

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
So four or five devices so far, depending on whether the "two more" includes the controlled demo we've already heard about.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Some of the reports are just old Mooninites.

Tacitus

Staff member
Some of the reports are just old Mooninites.

As anxious as we all are for details, don't take any report at face value, yet.

*Idiots like Alex Jones are all over these erroneous reports so they can weave idiotic conspiracy theories.

aria

Former Moderator
This is just terrible. I've stayed at the end of the LA Marathon for a friend who was finishing it, I can't imagine how crowded it was for Boston (especially since it was raining at the one I went to).

Remember, lots of rumors end up being false.

The most infamous case was Richard A. Jewell, "the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombe--oh wait, it ends up he didn't do it."

Don't get carried away with speculation--I think people in general are a little more skeptical these day anyway.

What we do know, is that people were killed and injured, and I hope those who are injured pull through.

Tacitus

Staff member
This is just terrible. I've stayed at the end of the LA Marathon for a friend who was finishing it, I can't imagine how crowded it was for Boston (especially since it was raining at the one I went to).

Remember, lots of rumors end up being false.

The most infamous case was Richard A. Jewell, "the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombe--oh wait, it ends up he didn't do it."

Don't get carried away with speculation--I think people in general are a little more skeptical these day anyway.

What we do know, is that people were killed and injured, and I hope those who are injured pull through.

Far better than I stated it.

I feel terrible. I hope the perpetrators are dealt with swiftly.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's definitely sad and disturbing, but I'm glad at least that this doesn't sound like something they'll be able to twist into an excuse to invade North Korea or something.