Earlier build of Last Resort?

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
This is a great find!

Do you mind posting a pic of the default high score table?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
It's great to see a thread like this pop up once in a while... truly exciting!

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Great find mate... good to see more of thee popping up in the UK.

I need to get all mine dumped soon (Well once I get through the new baby hell)... Cyberlip and Magician Lord and quite different.

Does your Cyberlip proto have a whole lot more voice samples than the production cart?

I found myself a Cyberlip proto on feebay that is a later build date than yours are if I recall properly. While I still haven't fully A/B'd it to pinpoint all of the differences it has far more voice sample than a regular production cart does.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Does your Cyberlip proto have a whole lot more voice samples than the production cart?

I found myself a Cyberlip proto on feebay that is a later build date than yours are if I recall properly. While I still haven't fully A/B'd it to pinpoint all of the differences it has far more voice sample than a regular production cart does.

You played it past the first level? Who are you and what did you do with bubz?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
This is a great find!

Do you mind posting a pic of the default high score table?

This was the same question I was going to ask.

I remember seeing screenshots in a magazine (EGM?) that had a default high score that was different. These shots off the flyer are similar.

R2UtF93.png

Note the score of 052440 on the first two screenshots, a score that's impossible because the game does not score in intervals lower than 100. The last screenshot has no highscore either but just the initials 2LC. (2 Live Crew!). The default high score is 218200 by ICE.

Unfortunately there's no obvious differences in level 1 from that video.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
$50 shipped.

Nice proto. What do you guys value carts like this these days? I'd consider buying it... Undumped, of course. :D

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Nice find. How many of these protos for the Neo are found so far out of curiosity? Is there a list somewhere?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Great work. Thank you for getting it documented.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The unibios takes the game id from the game header. Once this dump is out there I can add it into the unibios once I can confirm the dump looks good.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Nice find. How many of these protos for the Neo are found so far out of curiosity? Is there a list somewhere?

Neo Turf Masters
Riding Hero
JoyJoy Kid
Art of Fighting

A couple more, that's what I remember from back in the day.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Neo Turf Masters
Riding Hero
JoyJoy Kid
Art of Fighting

Neo Turf Masters and Art of Fighting prototypes? I don't remember those being mentioned anywhere.

There's prototypes of Burning Fight and Alpha Mission 2 that were dumped a few years back, with actual changes in the games compared to what happened in the final versions. Burning Fight had a slightly different third character named "Bully" instead of Billy, who looked considerably different. Lots of random changes here and there in terms of enemy layout, with no bosses in place after the first stage... and the game ends after the second stage anyway. Alpha Mission 2 was similar in that it ended after two or three different stages, but I don't remember what else was different about that compared to the final except for the total lack of a real scoring system.

There's a King of the Monsters 2 prototype in MAME but I honestly can't tell if anything's different in it, I think I played it through to the end and it was at least complete in that regard.

This thread listed a bunch of possible prototypes but there was no followup and the roms were never made public, despite them giving out different CRC's. Please update us on this, rcantor77!

edit: also I don't remember if there's a thread here for it, but supposedly Shou in Japan got a hold of the elusive Ninja Gaiden II prototype that nobody's seen anything of. I hope this is true!

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
... I guess you never dumped those other cartridges? :( (or they weren't different)

Never dumped the others. They really don't have significant differences as the 2 I already released. I'm sure I'll get to them eventually.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Yup, the ROM is available now.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Can anyone make mvs cart for me?
I'd love to play this proto on my CMVS :)

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Always nice to see another proto dumped rather than hoarded.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Looking through it now. There are some very significant differences in this version. While it doesn't appear to be that fabled prototype free of slowdown, this version is playable to the end but is lacking some of the polish and balance found in the final version.

* One of the biggest changes in this version are the bullets that the droid unit fires. They're graphically different and fire slower than they do in the prototype version. Not a good thing as it makes it harder to destroy stuff. [EDIT: I was completely wrong about this, the bullet speed is identical. Guess I forgot how slow those bullets were in the original! They do look different graphically though.]
* Default high scores are completely different for whatever reason. 1st place is 218,200 and 10th place is 48,500, whereas on the prototype 1st place is 196,600 and 10th place is 15,400, and yes the scores inbetween are different too. So it's easier to rank in but you still pretty much have to reach stage 5 just to beat the default high score, especially with other changes in the scoring and enemy layout.
* Extra lives are awarded at 20,000 and 60,000 by default, instead of 60,000 and 130,000. A little more forgiving to the average player, even if the first stage doesn't feel as easy (more on that later)
* Stage 1 - the first waves of enemies look completely different, and don't eject dudes into the air after you kill them. Booooo!
* Stage 1 - no points for destroying the cars on the ground, and there seem to be less of them.
* Stage 1 - the enemy formations that "materalize" into the screen are way different, and they take multiple shots to kill instead of one shot. The midboss tank appears way sooner while the materializing enemies are still showing up in waves, which is very irritating and actually caused a death on my first try because I didn't see one appearing near the bottom of the screen when I was trying to shoot the tank. This is very bad game balance for the first stage of the game so it's good that they toned it down in the final.
* First boss is pretty much the same but bosses in this prototype version do not have those "extra" enemies that come out from the right side of the screen and track where you are and generally take a lot of hits before dying. I theorize that these enemies were added to the final version to prevent people from camping in safe spots on bosses, as their appearances are time-based and since they take a lot of damage they force you to move around on the screen.
* Stage 2 - not as different as stage 1. The "generator" enemies produce fewer enemies and they're only worth 100 points a pop instead of 300. There is an extra set of human guys sitting in pods firing lasers before you reach the second half of the stage. Rest of the stage seems about the same, including the boss.
* Stage 3 - also not very different. The enemies that the ship at the beginning of the stage launches out take multiple shots to destroy instead of one shot. Not sure if the ship fires more homing missiles too? Felt like it but I could be wrong. Rest of the stage seems about the same, including the boss which is way easier when you don't have to worry about the "anti-camping" enemies.
* Stage 4 - some differences here. The enemies at the beginning that walk on the top and bottom of the screen seem to have less delay between their shots. The pods that open up and fire lasers to the left and right also have way less delay before they fire their lasers. The part halfway through that makes you dodge columns coming up from the ceiling and ground is harder - some of the columns come out WAY faster, and as a result it changes the timing on the safe spots if you're used to the final version. After that, the section with no environments to crash into that has enemies flying around that release little circular things that drop powerups, these enemies actually seem to die faster than in the final? A rare occurence of enemies that have less HP. The timing on the boss is slightly different before it opens up to reveal its weak points. And the weak points are colored yellow instead of green...?
* Stage 5 - first half of the level is pretty similar. The part where you go in the ship and the robots that "walk" in from the corridor might take a little bit of damage but I'm not 100% sure. When you reach the top-right point of the mothership, the turret firing bullets in an up-right direction fires them WAY faster which is a problem if you can't destroy it in time. Circling back around to the bottom part of the mothership, enemies released from generators again take multiple shots to destroy instead of one shot. The asteroid rush before reaching the last boss is WAAAAAAY THE FUCK HARDER HOLY SHIT. The asteroids fly out at nearly double speed AND take more damage. Fucking insane! I had to savescum this just to figure out how to get through this part without dying because you can't do the same pattern even when you're fully powered up. This part is some bullshit. After that, it feels like the lasers on the enemies right before the last boss move slower, but that may have been a rank thing from me dying on the asteroid rush lol. Last boss seems pretty much identical, no anti-camping enemies makes it easier, etc.
* Didn't notice any change in the ending text. Didn't play through the second loop so I'm not sure what changes there are in the second loop, or if the staff roll that appears after clearing the second loop is different.

I'll edit this if I notice any other changes that I forgot to list here off the top of my head, but that's most of them. I'll probably try to make a video of a proper 1CC attempt, although I really worry about that asteroid rush holy fuck. I also kinda wanna do a side-by-side comparison at some point because I find this stuff interesting. Maybe I'll do a stream of it, follow me on twitch if you haven't already because I've been playing a lot of MAME shit there lately ;)

http://www.twitch.tv/lordbbh

Last edited: