Dark Souls

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
It's really not all that difficult.

I said that on page 1. You don't have to tell me that. I've played through the game a plenty of times. I'm quite familiar.

It's hit, move, hit, move. So two inputs, hitting one button and THEN moving the stick. My bad. That simple strategy got me through the game without fail.

Is that why you had to grind to pump stats in order to kill things? :lolz:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Monster Hunter is my thing. Probably my favorite game series ever. When I was playing MHP3 online a lot, I ran into a lot of people that recommended Demon's Souls to me.

Never played it though. I like games that require skill, however. I think Dark Souls is out today here, so who knows... Maybe I'll grab it later on.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I'm still kind of stunned to see all the hate for Demon's Souls in here. I can see that it's not for everyone, but for my money, it was one of the best games released that year, and one of the best of this console generation.

But now that I think about it, my opinions have never really been all that popular....... :emb:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i was on the fence about getting this

not because i wasn't interested or not because i didn't like Demon's Souls but because my dedicated gaming time has been dwindling and with the flood of great new releases and upcoming great new releases i didn't know what to play

but a lot of these pre-release previews about the insane difficulty have definitely piqued my interest to the point where i'll plunk down some cash for it

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I realize most would be getting this for PS3, but for those getting it on 360, this article confirms that there is indeed no voice communication at all via XBL while playing the game:

How's Dark Souls Looking on Xbox 360?

I don't understand the thought process behind this decision. All it does is inconvenience people that want to utilize that feature. They'll still find a way to work around it if they want to.

Good to hear the port is looking good otherwise though. I'm off to get a BT headset for my PS3 I guess...

I'm anxious to see how it performs on 360, as I much prefer that controller for anything if possible. Hopefully it won't stumble as people get into later levels.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I realize most would be getting this for PS3, but for those getting it on 360, this article confirms that there is indeed no voice communication at all via XBL while playing the game:

How's Dark Souls Looking on Xbox 360?

I don't understand the thought process behind this decision. All it does is inconvenience people that want to utilize that feature. They'll still find a way to work around it if they want to.

Good to hear the port is looking good otherwise though. I'm off to get a BT headset for my PS3 I guess...

lame

but doesn't deter me from going for the 360 version

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
HN:

Sometimes I agree with your opinions, sometimes I think they suck.

It's like real life!

You're good peeps, though. Never doubt that.

Anyway...game's lookin' tight. I fully expect that once I'm comfortable crawling out of my shell to play with others, you PS3 DS vets will school me on how to be good at this. I'll probably bring a couple of other peeps along, too.

By the by, is the PS3 version going to support chat? If not, I am up to get on Skype and bypass 'the man.'

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I've pretty much spoiled everything by watching these Japanese guys playing the game for 10 hours at a time.
So much more to see and do though.

The game is nuts...like a cross between the worlds of Berserk and Narnia. Oct 4 feels like it's 6 months away.

subcons

By the by, is the PS3 version going to support chat? If not, I am up to get on Skype and bypass 'the man.'

No chat feature on PS3 either. Just like Demon's Souls

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I've pretty much spoiled everything by watching these Japanese guys playing the game for 10 hours at a time.
So much more to see and do though.

The game is nuts...like a cross between the worlds of Berserk and Narnia. Oct 4 feels like it's 6 months away.

Why did you have to go and say this? Berserk is my favorite fantasy story of all time. Now I'll be going out of my mind staying away from all the spoilerz.

By the way, a well made Berserk MMO with all the career paths of that world, with a game and story steeped in its heavy politics, intrigue, violence and monsters would completely own the face of everyone that has ever been born. Ever.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Why did you have to go and say this? Berserk is my favorite fantasy story of all time. Now I'll be going out of my mind staying away from all the spoilerz.

By the way, a well made Berserk MMO with all the career paths of that world, with a game and story steeped in its heavy politics, intrigue, violence and monsters would completely own the face of everyone that has ever been born. Ever.

A multiplayer current gen berserk where you could unlock campaigns and play as Silat, Zodd, the 4 Tapassa, Rakshas etc. would be pretty cool.

I'll stfu about any spoilerz from here on in, though. Wish I had your willpower though hahaha...I just couldn't tear myself away from those fucking streams....

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I am on the fence about this one. I pre-ordered Demon Souls and played it through about half way but was getting rather frustrated with it on a regular basis and sold it. I am just to used to having my hand held in the typical layout of modern games where death means little and save points are reached every few minutes. Hell, most games now have such good in-game tutorials you don't even need to read the manual.

I do like the open world aspect, and I really liked the combat mechanics of DS. I need to decide quick before all the limited editions are bought up online, choices, choices. I actually made money on DS reselling my used CE :)

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
watching some of the IGN 24 hour playthrough

looks amazing

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
You'd probably do the same here, if you get the CE. I say go for it, and if it's too much, just sell it later.

So as a fellow Canadian, could you tell me if pre ordering from a local EB around Sept 19 will get me the CE?
On their comps they don't really give you a choice between the normal copy and the limited edition....hopefully I dont get screwed over.

HeartlessNinny

So as a fellow Canadian, could you tell me if pre ordering from a local EB around Sept 19 will get me the CE?
On their comps they don't really give you a choice between the normal copy and the limited edition....hopefully I dont get screwed over.

I don't know. I preordered mine months ago, and I didn't really ask about it -- I just ordered the PS3 version and forgot about it.

I don't think they'll screw us. They tend to be okay about this sort of thing.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Anyone know if the big retailers like Best Buy, Target, or Wal-Mart will have the Collector's Edition? I waited too damn long to try and pre-order from Gamestop or Amazon.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Anyone know if the big retailers like Best Buy, Target, or Wal-Mart will have the Collector's Edition? I waited too damn long to try and pre-order from Gamestop or Amazon.

Shouldn't be an issue; Target is really good about getting these kinds of editions from what some American pals have said. It's just like Dante's Inferno or Red Dead Redemption, or the upcoming Assassins Creed; all first run copies are supposed to be the 'Signature Edition'.

HeartlessNinny

I talked to my EB today, and they promised me I'd get the Signature Edition tomorrow. All the same, I figure I better get there early, just in case.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I picked it up at the midnight launch tonight. Since I've got to get up early for work tomorrow, I sat down planning to only play far enough to create my character and get a save made...and ended up playing it for an hour.

Loving it from the start.

subcons

Confirmed that Private Chat works on the 360 version. At least now I don't have to work around the game to play co-op.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I started mashing PageDown after someone complained about Demon's Souls' controls. Is this real life?

Confirmed that Private Chat works on the 360 version. At least now I don't have to work around the game to play co-op.

I'm hearing the complete opposite, which is it? Private chat still works in the 360 version, party chat doesn't?

subcons

I'm hearing the complete opposite, which is it? Private chat still works in the 360 version, party chat doesn't?

Right. Party chat is a no go unless you choose to play offline, much like how DS worked I'd imagine. Private, 1-on-1 chat is enabled though, which is a leg up on PS3 (at least for me) as you can't chat at all on that version.

I have a couple of friends getting this though, so if we do a 3-way co-op game, we'll have to use some other means of communication.

30 more minutes then I can go home and pop this evil, evil game in.