CRT Fetish Thread

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Might be going to check out a PVM-8220 and a JVC TM-1400SU today, are these decent monitors?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Might be going to check out a PVM-8220 and a JVC TM-1400SU today, are these decent monitors?

the 8 inch pvm isnt bad but the 1400su is going to be worse than your normal 2000+ Sony consumer grade TV's through component video. Also I don't think the 1400su does 15khz RGB, just digital through the VTR.

*edit* Scratch what I said about the PVM, I just looked up the model. That one does not appear to do RGB either. I would pass on both monitors.

Last edited:

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
the 8 inch pvm isnt bad but the 1400su is going to be worse than your normal 2000+ Sony consumer grade TV's through component video. Also I don't think the 1400su does 15khz RGB, just digital through the VTR.

*edit* Scratch what I said about the PVM, I just looked up the model. That one does not appear to do RGB either. I would pass on both monitors.

Thanks for the 411 skips, saves me a drive!

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

Thoughts on the PVM-8042Q? Mine is only a test bench monitor, but it seems decent for an 8" and does RGB. Just seems to lack a menu for those that dislike manual pots.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Thoughts on the PVM-8042Q? Mine is only a test bench monitor, but it seems decent for an 8" and does RGB. Just seems to lack a menu for those that dislike manual pots.

Its not bad, its not something id personally game on but its good for a test bench. The PVM-8042q is the middle man of its family (8045Q, 8042Q, 8040Q, and 5041Q). The 8042Q is a 250 line monitor and is RGB capable. It is a slightly better CRT than the 8040Q which makes it a tad bit sharper even if you use its composite video connection. The 8045Q is the top end of the family at 450 lines with a 0.25mm Aperture Grill Pitch (versus the 8042Q's .5mm AG pitch) which makes it even sharper than the 8042q. The 8042Q is a nice middle man of that family. Honestly though there are not a ton of options offered by Sony within that size range. They have Medical renditions of these monitors but there are very little changes between them. There are also a few BVM models within that size range. Basically you are only a step or two under the best you can get for that size range and if its only a test bench monitor there is not a real reason to seek anything better unless it can be acquired for dirt cheap. Also I think they lack a menu just because their size does not allow room for buttons required for an OSD.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Its not bad, its not something id personally game on but its good for a test bench. The PVM-8042q is the middle man of its family (8045Q, 8042Q, 8040Q, and 5041Q). The 8042Q is a 250 line monitor and is RGB capable. It is a slightly better CRT than the 8040Q which makes it a tad bit sharper even if you use its composite video connection. The 8045Q is the top end of the family at 450 lines with a 0.25mm Aperture Grill Pitch (versus the 8042Q's .5mm AG pitch) which makes it even sharper than the 8042q. The 8042Q is a nice middle man of that family. Honestly though there are not a ton of options offered by Sony within that size range. They have Medical renditions of these monitors but there are very little changes between them. There are also a few BVM models within that size range. Basically you are only a step or two under the best you can get for that size range and if its only a test bench monitor there is not a real reason to seek anything better unless it can be acquired for dirt cheap. Also I think they lack a menu just because their size does not allow room for buttons required for an OSD.

Thanks for the info Skips as always. This monitor cost me $70 shipped from AZ 2 day and was professional packaged. It was well worth the cost and is replacing a shit GBS converter for my JAMMA Test Bench. Just waiting on some adapters and connectors to make the cables.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks for the info Skips as always. This monitor cost me $70 shipped from AZ 2 day and was professional packaged. It was well worth the cost and is replacing a shit GBS converter for my JAMMA Test Bench. Just waiting on some adapters and connectors to make the cables.

Oh that guy. I actually put in an offer of $25 before shipping on that monitor at one point (there were a bunch up for $25-30 on ebay at the time). Dude refused to budge on his price even though shipping would have been $10 since I'm an hour away from him.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
This is a 36 or 37 inch Mitsubishi. Does it appear to be a Megaview of any kind? Can't find shit for pictures of them for comparison. I can't tell and can't get anymore info without driving.

00a0a_jvLiDJISBPZ_600x450.jpg

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
This is a 36 or 37 inch Mitsubishi. Does it appear to be a Megaview of any kind? Can't find shit for pictures of them for comparison. I can't tell and can't get anymore info without driving.

View attachment 22752

is that a crackhouse? :keke:

also damn those legs on that table, I can't believe it is supporting that beast. Don't let any small children play near it.

MuppeT

War Room Troll

View attachment 22752

This is just a regular CRT TV. Not worth the trouble if you ask me.. and yeah the place looks dangerous :)

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Thank you! Yeah, not worth it to me either. I already have a regular CRT, 2 in fact. And a couple PVM's. I am though, still considering picking up an RCA MM36100.

It's Multisync, has VGA, 36" screen, speaker pre-amps etc. Just like an NEC Multisync monitor, but I can't tell from the available documentation if it does RGB or not. I think it might just do 15khz through composite/component and s-video, and 30khz through the VGA (SVGA?) ports.

3c1bbf0c-6fa8-4208-bd5d-f31320ddd085-000001.png

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
If anyone in the Albuquerque area is interested, I am moving back to California, and can't take my XC-3730C with me, so PM me if you are interested with your offer!

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
If anyone in the Albuquerque area is interested, I am moving back to California, and can't take my XC-3730C with me, so PM me if you are interested with your offer!

Were you able to get your hands on a degaussing wand to get rid of the purple spot? I'm nowhere near you, but was just wondering.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
I remember a fair way back in this thread, someone mentioned they had optimal geometry settings for most consoles on their PVM without having to tinker all the time. Can anyone post theirs? I have a PVM20MA. I'm not a massive fan of playing with the settings all the time.

Cheers

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
For any of you in the Detroit area with the room and means, there is a NEC Multisync XP37 on Craigslist for $100:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/4888150253.html

I simply don't have the room, strength, or a vehicle big enough to move it. But I sure wish I did. I'll be having a nerd boner and dirty fantasies about it for the rest of the day. :P Hope this is helpful to one of you guys!

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Holy balls that thing is huge! I can make the room, and have a vehicle big enough but I'm in MN! Doh.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Just posted in Skips CRT review thread of my JVC BM-H2000PN-K.

I'm not as technically knowledgeable as Skips but its a good place to put some info about the monitor and pictures as there isn't as much out there as the PVM's.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...view-Thread!&p=3854223&viewfull=1#post3854223

Awesome dude. One thing about the information you have in it. The HR label on PVM's does not always mean it will be of higher picture quality/resolution. For example the PVM-1954 is labeled as a high resolution Trinitron however it is just a 600 line CRT and is on par picture quality wise with slightly newer models such as the PVM-20M2U (also 600 lines) which are not HR labeled. Also if you can try to get an angled close up to show off the scan lines a bit better. That will show off the picture quality of the monitor just a tad bit more. Thanks for contributing to that thread.

Bancho

n00b
Awesome dude. One thing about the information you have in it. The HR label on PVM's does not always mean it will be of higher picture quality/resolution. For example the PVM-1954 is labeled as a high resolution Trinitron however it is just a 600 line CRT and is on par picture quality wise with slightly newer models such as the PVM-20M2U (also 600 lines) which are not HR labeled. Also if you can try to get an angled close up to show off the scan lines a bit better. That will show off the picture quality of the monitor just a tad bit more. Thanks for contributing to that thread.

Thanks for clearing that up Skips. I always though that HR represented the 800+ monitors. I guess i never considered the older models as i'm only really aware of the newer models. I'll adjust that bit of info. Just looking for some better pictures of the scanlines :-)

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Thank you! Yeah, not worth it to me either. I already have a regular CRT, 2 in fact. And a couple PVM's. I am though, still considering picking up an RCA MM36100.

It's Multisync, has VGA, 36" screen, speaker pre-amps etc. Just like an NEC Multisync monitor, but I can't tell from the available documentation if it does RGB or not. I think it might just do 15khz through composite/component and s-video, and 30khz through the VGA (SVGA?) ports.

View attachment 22753

It will only do 240p on older consoles via a scart to yuv converter. It supports 31k only via VGA and will go up to 480i for component input. I had this same tv rebranded by Tandberg. Its a nice tv and the sound on it is amazing.

Last edited:

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
It will only do 240p on older consoles via a scart to yuv converter. It supports 31k only via VGA and will go up to 480i for component input. I had this same tv rebranded by Tandberg. Its a nice tv and the sound on it is amazing.

So no analog RGB and no 480p through component. That makes up my mind! Thank you for the great info!

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
For any of you in the Detroit area with the room and means, there is a NEC Multisync XP37 on Craigslist for $100:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/4888150253.html

My friend who is local contacted the guy, put his kids to sleep, had the cash, had a strong friend ready, then somebody halfway across the country in Oregon somehow snaked in and now my friend is "next in line if it falls through". Sucks. My friend has been keeping his eyes peeled for a nice NEC Multisync monitor for years.. One pops up in town and he can't even buy it.

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
I consider the NEC XM29 the holy grail of RGB monitors (I had one that died years ago), and they really give high quality PVM'S a run for their money.

Everyone that sells these knows exactly what they have, which is why they sell so quick