Canadian Government Falls; Elections in January

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,176982,00.html

Canadian Government Falls; Elections in January
Tuesday, November 29, 2005

TORONTO — Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin dissolved the House of Commons Tuesday and elections were set following Parliament's vote of no confidence in the government.

Martin went to the official residence of Governor-General Michaelle Jean, representative of head of state Queen Elizabeth, and announced that she had granted his request to dissolve Parliament and that the election would be on Jan. 23.

The election will be held for all 308 seats in the lower House of Commons. The seats in the upper Senate are appointed.

On Monday, the Conservative Party teamed up with the New Democratic and Bloc Quebecois parties to bring down the government, claiming Martin's ruling Liberal Party had lost its moral authority. Recent polls have given the Liberals a slight lead over the Conservatives, with the New Democrats in third place.

The same surveys suggest the Bloc Quebecois would sweep the French-speaking province of Quebec, making a majority government unlikely no matter which party wins the most seats.

Martin has had frosty relations with the White House, standing by the Liberal Party decision not to support the U.S. invasion of Iraq. He also declined to join in Washington's continental ballistic missile shield -- infuriating the Bush administration -- has been called weak on terrorism and was vocal in his opposition of high U.S. tariffs on Canadian lumber.

His push to legalize gay marriage throughout Canada also raised the hackles of Republicans south of the 49th parallel, but Martin is widely respected worldwide for Canada's neutrality and open arms toward immigrants and minorities.

Canada's Conservatives, by contrast, are seen as much more receptive to improving relations with Washington, though a majority of Canadians opposed the war in Iraq and the policies of President Bush.

Conservative Party leader Stephen Harper favors tax cuts and opposed Martin's successful bill to legalize same-sex marriage throughout Canada. He would become prime minister if the Conservatives receive the most seats in Parliament.

"This is not just the end of a tired, directionless, scandal-plagued government," Harper said after Monday's vote. "It's the start of a bright new future for this country."

The opposition is banking on the public's disgust with a corruption scandal involving the misuse of funds targeted for a national unity program in Quebec.

An initial investigation absolved Martin of wrongdoing, but accused senior Liberal members of taking kickbacks and misspending tens of millions of dollars in public funds.

The government ran into peril this month when it lost the support of the New Democratic Party, whose backing earlier this year helped Martin escape a previous no-confidence motion by a single vote. New Democrat leader Jack Layton said he had not received enough assurances the Liberal Party would fight the increased use of private health care in Canada.

Martin appears prepared to take his chances with a holiday campaign and blamed his opponents for any inconvenience to the predominantly Christian electorate.

The prime minister had promised to call an election within 30 days of the release of a follow-up report on the corruption scandal. The document is expected Feb. 1, which would have meant elections in the first week of April, a time that suits Canadians better than the bitterly cold and busy holiday season.

Although no formal agreement is in place, all the parties are likely to agree to a pause in the campaign around the Christmas and New Year holidays. The campaign is expected to start Tuesday, after Parliament is dissolved.

Unemployment in Canada is at a 30-year low and Canada runs a budget surplus.

Andrew Stark, a political science professor at the University of Toronto, maintained that the campaign would not be decided until the final days. Stark, however, believes the Conservatives will win a minority government if Canadians view another Liberal and New Democrat coalition as being unaccountable with tax money.

The last time a Canadian political campaign coincided with the holiday season was in 1979, when Joe Clark's minority Conservative government was toppled just weeks before Christmas. That vote was delayed until February, however, when Pierre Trudeau and the Liberals took back Parliament.

The latest collapse comes 17 months after an election that turned a Liberal majority into a fragile minority on June 28, 2004.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The Green party nerds are already defacing school property with thier anti-liberal propaganda.

I'm going to take the easy way out and blame the whole mess on that wench, Belinda Stronarch. I have non idea why.

I will vote Liberal again, only because Green is a waste and a vote for NDP, PC and PQ are a vote for Harper, who is a power hungry robot douche-bag.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I hope this means Gary Glitter can go back there.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Hmm, this could end up very bad for the NDP. I predict a loss of seats for them based off of the fact that they chose to support the Cons, who are aching for another money-wasting election.

God, the sponsorship scandal is so insignificant and it is not a reason to overturn the Liberals. No way. The Cons need to rethink their strategy for victory.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why would these people want to Risk fucking up such a good thing????

Free Health Care.
Growing Tech Sector.
Budget SURPLUS.
Lowest Unemployment in 30 years.
No Modern Day Vietnam?

OMG DUDES MARYING DUDES!!!
MISSAPROPRIATING A SMALL CHUNK OF THE BUDGET SURPLUSS!!!!
LETS GET ALONG WITH BUSH (who only has 3 years left)!!!!!

Come on down and be like us you crazy Hosers.....

Where we don't let dudes mary other dudes, only misaporpiate what we owe (instead of have) and get into wars that we can't win.

aria

Former Moderator
The Daily Show had a good quip on this last night:

The Canadian government:
  • Was caught lying to the public
  • The people were outraged
  • the opposing parties took action
  • government was held accountable

:annoyed: :envy: :annoyed:

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Bobak said:
The Daily Show had a good quip on this last night:

The Canadian government:
  • Was caught lying to the public
  • The people were outraged
  • the opposing parties took action
  • government was held accountable

:annoyed: :envy: :annoyed:

Yeah I heard that last night. I was rofl at it too. Of course I still don't know where Canada is...

Hecker

Mizuki's Demon
Fuck this shit. I'm voting for the canadian Nazi Party. :chimp:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
I've always been a supporter of the NDP. I honestly hope the conservatives win the election this time. Maybe they can do something to fix health care. Liberals were doing nothing. It will be another minority government so odds are we will have another election in 2 years or less.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
norton9478 said:
Why would these people want to Risk fucking up such a good thing????

Free Health Care.
Growing Tech Sector.
Budget SURPLUS.
Lowest Unemployment in 30 years.
No Modern Day Vietnam?

OMG DUDES MARYING DUDES!!!
MISSAPROPRIATING A SMALL CHUNK OF THE BUDGET SURPLUSS!!!!
LETS GET ALONG WITH BUSH (who only has 3 years left)!!!!!

Come on down and be like us you crazy Hosers.....

Where we don't let dudes mary other dudes, only misaporpiate what we owe (instead of have) and get into wars that we can't win.

Free Health Care? Yes, But keep in mind we also get what we pay for.
Budget Surplus? Yes, But most provinces and cities are struggling to break even because the federal government doesn't help likes it's supposed to. Hence surplus.

I think the Liberals are a good party but I think Canada needs the conservatives to win just so everyone can see how bad it really could be. Then we'll be back to 12 years of Liberal power and peace and quiet again.

Rade K

20 Year Member
kobylka68 said:
Free Health Care? Yes, But keep in mind we also get what we pay for.
Budget Surplus? Yes, But most provinces and cities are struggling to break even because the federal government doesn't help likes it's supposed to. Hence surplus.

I think the Liberals are a good party but I think Canada needs the conservatives to win just so everyone can see how bad it really could be. Then we'll be back to 12 years of Liberal power and peace and quiet again.

A country is not a videogame to be experimented with. I honestly don't think Harper has any intentions of improving healthcare and anyone who votes for the Cons are in for a surprise if they think they are suffering under Liberal leadership.

Dude, vote Liberal, everyone else in your neighbourhood will too, go along with it.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Rade Kuruc said:
A country is not a videogame to be experimented with. I honestly don't think Harper has any intentions of improving healthcare and anyone who votes for the Cons are in for a surprise if they think they are suffering under Liberal leadership.

Dude, vote Liberal, everyone else in your neighbourhood will too, go along with it.

You know if the liberals win again it will be another minority. Possibly even smaller than this one. I Sincerely doubt the Liberals will lose, I just hope the NDP wins enough seats to keep the Liberals honest. The one problem with the Liberals is that they will either jump on an NDP ideas or the Conservatives ideas whenever it suits them best. You saw the tax cuts they just gave. They are trying to appeal to the Conservatives crowd right now. They need to come up with their own good ideas if they want a Majority government again.

And in the last election the NDP just barely lost last time. Not many people are happy with the Liberals here. I predict an NDP victory here.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Rade Kuruc said:

hahahah mainstream Canadians.

Rade K

20 Year Member
kobylka68 said:
You know if the liberals win again it will be another minority. Possibly even smaller than this one. I Sincerely doubt the Liberals will lose, I just hope the NDP wins enough seats to keep the Liberals honest. The one problem with the Liberals is that they will either jump on an NDP ideas or the Conservatives ideas whenever it suits them best. You saw the tax cuts they just gave. They are trying to appeal to the Conservatives crowd right now. They need to come up with their own good ideas if they want a Majority government again.

And in the last election the NDP just barely lost last time. Not many people are happy with the Liberals here. I predict an NDP victory here.

I know you live in a hardworking family (with an awful litte brother) but you have to admit that a lot of the people in your neighbourhood are probably parasites who think they dont have it good enough.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Its going to be liberal anyway, so why vote?

And that "I'm gonna vote, otherwise I have no right to complain" slogan of theirs is starting to fuck me off. I never voted for ANY of these fuckwits, and I have no right complain about something I never wanted to begin with?

By that token, I have no right to complain about getting shot because I never told the assailant that I might enjoy getting strangled/stabbed/bludgeoned instead. :rolleyes:

Canadians have the reasoning skills of a fucking hand puppet.

Why fucking bother voting? they are all terrible parties....worst would be fucking robot Harper and the cons.....so yah, vote for the lazy, wasteful, corrupt Liberals instead and keep them cons out of power.

Me, I might just throw away my vote with a spoiled ballot, or vote nazi/commie/green party. Democracy is a joke anyway.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Times like these I love my unitary federalism.

And then I remember who's president. :(

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Rade Kuruc said:
I know you live in a hardworking family (with an awful litte brother) but you have to admit that a lot of the people in your neighbourhood are probably parasites who think they dont have it good enough.

Haha yeah thats true. Hamilton is full of people who are parasites on the system. But I think a Liberal/NDP coalition government would work very well. The best governments Canada ever had were like that.