Bloomington, Indiana

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
I'm moving pretty soon and I was curious if anyone here has visited or lives in the area. What's the town got as far as areas of interest, are there any cool stores I should check out, stuff that I may not have seen in the crap mailers the tourism board sent me.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I moved to Fort Wayne its about 3 hours away from Bloomington. I came from Denver. We could form a support group and exchange pm's :tickled:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
You will regret forsaking NJ, Talen.

Mark my words...Indiana is full of sodomizing zombie farmers....

...and NASCAR.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I been to the college there....

Nice college town.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
I just spent 4 years at IU there - just graduated last month. It's pretty. Lots of trees. Lots of hot chicks. Ummmm... lots of bars. I'm not into small towns so I didn't really dig the small town/ earthy-vegetarian aspect. Lots of bands there... but I'm not into going to shows unless it's metal and/or really loud...

Oh - check out the IMU - Indiana Memorial Union - they have MS 5 and Strikers 1945 plus - and maybe Prehistoric Isle 2 still. I always meant to 1 cc Strikers before I graduated but it never happened.

Also at the mall is Neo Geo Battle Colisseum - and possibly SvC - but it's on a 4-slot that I could never get to change games on.

Yeah... that probably doesn't help... it's a very scenic town with a lot of hotties. :tickled: I miss it. A little.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
If you're into movies - they show fringe/indie/non-mainstream movies at a video store called cinephile down around Kirkwood area and also through the "Ryder film series" - usually shown at the Fine Arts building and some bars. When school is in the Communications and Culture department also shows older films - some are very rare.

There's a really good import/cult video rental store called Plan 9 also. It's expensive - but nice to go in and look around. It's also down by the square/Kirkwood.

And Rev is right, I am a sodomizing zombie farmer. I bought my step-dad a Nascar game for father's day.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
Hippee is clearly the expert, but I also heard that its a nice college town with lots of bars.

I don't know if there's a whole lot else, but if you're going to undergrad or something I figure you're not really going to need too much more than what's there. Hope you're not particularly into winning college football, they were looking up but they just had an awful tragedy with Hoeppner's passing. Of course, if you love basketball, this it a great place :)

Ooh...I get to recommend a movie. Breaking Away :D It was actually filmed entirely in Bloomington, albeit back in the late 70's or something, but it's got Dennis Quaid. Good, funny movie too.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
RevQuixo said:
You will regret forsaking NJ, Talen.

Has anyone in the history of mankind actually ever regretted leaving New Jersey?

I'm not so sure.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
Has anyone in the history of mankind actually ever regretted leaving New Jersey?

I'm not so sure.

Actually, contrary to all the shit NJ receives from misinformed idiots on this site, there is a lot of stuff in this state.

You'd be hard pressed to find a state that has access to more things than NJ does.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
DangerousK said:
You'd be hard pressed to find a state that has access to more things than NJ does.

Like needles and medical waste on the beaches?

I'm sure glad we don't have *that* in Texas.

:loco:

I think that folks from outside of Joysey don't understand that it's not about which town but rather which exit from the turnpike when getting directions.

aria

Former Moderator
DangerousK said:
Actually, contrary to all the shit NJ receives from misinformed idiots on this site, there is a lot of stuff in this state.

This made me think of the quote:

"Don't underestimate the drawing power of the Garden State."

Anyone remember the movie? ;)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Does Indiana still reject Daylight Savings time?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
NY has access to everything that NJ does and more... And the state government is slightly less disfunctional.

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
Bobak said:
This made me think of the quote:

"Don't underestimate the drawing power of the Garden State."

Anyone remember the movie? ;)

Dogma.

Really though NJ is actually pretty good when it comes to events and things to do. Being 1 hour from Philadelphia or NYC is pretty nice, and that's not all here is to do. Thanks Hippee, anyone else have any tips of places to check out?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Does Indiana still reject Daylight Savings time?

They just decided to accept it in the last year
The Indiana time zone.
I was born in Pheonix (didnt use it either)when we moved I was like "whats daylight savings time?"

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
NY has access to everything that NJ does and more... And the state government is slightly less disfunctional.

Ok Norton?

NYC perhaps...thats about it.

I've been told by some folks who live in New York STATE that the state is rather lacking in money since NYC consumes most of it.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
Like needles and medical waste on the beaches?

I'm sure glad we don't have *that* in Texas.

:loco:

I think that folks from outside of Joysey don't understand that it's not about which town but rather which exit from the turnpike when getting directions.

There hasn't been a medical waste beach problem in quite some time. The truth of the matter is that NJ gets all the people from Philly and NYC coming to our beaches...so they can't be all that bad.

And it's not which exit off the turnpike...it's which exit off the garden state parkway.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
DangerousK said:
Ok Norton?

NYC perhaps...thats about it.

I've been told by some folks who live in New York STATE that the state is rather lacking in money since NYC consumes most of it.

Most of the poplulation is convenient to anywhere's in NJ plus we have the Adirondacks, the St. Lawrence Seaway and Niagra Falls.

For the Record, I live in New York STATE..... Not NYC...

The whole "NYC consumes most of the tax money" is what dumb rednecks up here [CNY] say. Then you ask them how many people they know on public assitance and they know quite a few.... Then the rest of thier friends work in some public sector related job.

Fuck a floor in the WTC or Empire State Building generates more tax revenue than most of these small cities.

Upstate is really hurting.... If it wasn't for Albany, Prisons, SUNY and Private colleges, We'd be like Kentucky.

You still get stuck with all the Guidos.... We get the rednecks.

For the Record, I will be heading down to Wildwood this Summer.....

I'm not all about trashing NJ........

I just like to pump my own gas and be able to buy a sixer in one place.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Most of Indiana is a shit hole, especially around the Fort Wayne area. Fortunately for you you'll be moving to a better part of the state closer to the only redeemable part...Indianapolis.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I live about 20 miles from Bloomington and go there quite a bit.

Bloomington is a nice town because there is plenty of stuff to do and a lot of young people living there obviously, but it still retains a somewhat small town feel. No traffic problems or anything like that. Tons of women too.

Anyway, shoot me a PM when you get moved down here if you want.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I used to live in Bloomington, MN and it was ok.