Blood Storm Arcade

Golgo

Cham Cham's Banana
I am sure this has been here before, but does anyone remember this game?

I remember playing it a few times in 1991 or whatever year it was, and thinking it was kind of clunky and weird compared to other fighters.
I distinctly remember the graphics looking shitty. It had fatalites, but not as dramatic as those found in the Samurai Shodown series of games

Am I right about this? I could be wrong, did I confuse this with another game?

Last edited:

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
This was by no means a bad game. I couldn't tell you if it was balanced since I didn't spend that long with it. The characters had their unique moves as usual but possibly what stood the game out was that damage taken took it's toll....

If you took to many hits to the legs you would lose your legs and were unable to kick, not sure about moving. You could lose your arms and not punch. Things like that made the game unique. But I do believe the team behind Mortal Kombat was behind this game so it was probably ridden with dozens of buggy infinites and lost it's competitive appeal.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
There was no way this game was out in 91, try 92 or 93

and I disagree, it sucked ass on many levels and had no redeeming value to it whatsoever

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
Gawd, haven't played that game since I was at Dave's Arcade.

Of course, all my time was spent on playing pool and Super Street Fighter 2. Am I good at either game? NEIN!

Golgo

Cham Cham's Banana
roke stAr said:
There was no way this game was out in 91, try 92 or 93

and I disagree, it sucked ass on many levels and had no redeeming value to it whatsoever

When did it come out? I remember playing it, but it wasnt a favorite at all, it was VERY popular at my arcade though, there was almost always someone playing it.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
this was the sequel to time killers, a MK knockoff which was 2D, it was pretty shit and was only cool cause you could cut limbs off, everyone was on the MK II machine when time killers came out so I didn't play it a whole lot, the 2nd game was the ugly mid 90's CG, the golden tee golf guys made these so you know they own. :lol:

my friend used to refer to bloodstorm as the greatest shit fighting game of all time. he owned the jamma for years.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I just played this on MaMe.

It fucking blows, the AI is terribly cheap.

johnroche

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I remember that it had a bizarre array of secret characters, including one made entirely of blood and a character who was supposed to be Senator Lieberman.

I've never played it, so I've no idea whether to envy or pity anyone who has.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
I remember the first issue of EGM2 had this really cheesy advertisement for the game back in 94. It showed a picture of a fimiliar face to MK fans playing the Arcade game.

"Danel Pesina(Actor for Johnny Cage in MK 1/2) has switched to BloodStorm."

I'm sure they payed the actor to appear on the page, to earn some sort of hype for the game.

Anyway, this and Tattoo Assassins(Strata) have got to be the worst released digitized Fighters ever to grace the Arcade. On second thought, add Street Fighter: The Movie to that list.

"Time Killers... ENGAGE!"

Buro Destruct

johnroche said:
I remember that it had a bizarre array of secret characters, including one made entirely of blood and a character who was supposed to be Senator Lieberman.

I've never played it, so I've no idea whether to envy or pity anyone who has.
Yeah, I fought the first one. I don't even know what I did to get it, it just said "BLOOD IS ALIVE" and suddenly I was fighting this man made of blood with a MACE for a hand and a spurting fountain of gore for a head. And this was after 5 minutes of play. Wuh.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
johnroche said:

Nah, the Senator Lieberman character was in Eternal Champions CD for Sega CD. (which was actually a really good game!)

but anyways... I wouldn't say that Bloodstorm was like, one of the WORST fighting games ever or anything. I mean, sure, it's bad, but at least it's a definite step up from Time Killers... and I really liked the idea of having joystick+button combinations as a "password" on the character select to store your records and all that. I think they spent more time putting in hidden stuff than working on the gameplay though...

If nothing else though, the "trash talking" you can do after you win a match is pretty fucked up :D

bloodstorm1.png

bloodstorm2.png

bloodstorm3.png

bloodstorm4.png

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
time killers was hot.

horrible gameplay, but decapitating your opponent for an instant win was pretty funny.
mk was always better though.

never played blood storm, but it looks very similar to what i remember in those klov shots.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Ahhh.. the sequel to Time Killers.

This game was shitty, my best friend to this day STILL loves it though.

Got (accidentally) mentioned on a Simpsons episode.

It's definitely a garbage game that got swallowed up during the MK days. It was very derivitive and gimmicky, basically a forgettable throwaway game.

You're not missing anything spectacular.

Buro Destruct

VanillaThunder said:
Got (accidentally) mentioned on a Simpsons episode.
lol, You're thinking of Bone Storm.

"BUY ME BONE STORM OR GO TO HELL!"

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Redeeming quality of Timekillers: ARMLESS WIN

Redeeming quality of Blood Storm: It was revolutionary in digital intestine depiction.

That's it.

Tacitus

Staff member
Buro Destruct said:
lol, You're thinking of Bone Storm.

"BUY ME BONE STORM OR GO TO HELL!"

Nope... Blood Storm *is* mentioned... check that episode again, it gets mentioned later in the episode as another game.....

I'm willing to bet my Neo collection on my simpsons knowledge.

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Woman: Gavin, don't you already have this game?
Gavin: No, Mom, you idiot! I have Bloodstorm, and Bone Squad, and Bloodstorm II, stupid.
Woman: Oh, I'm sorry, honey. We'll take a Bonestorm.
Gavin: Get two. I'm not sharing with Kaitlin!

i didn't remember that line either. Good call VT.

aria

Former Moderator
I remember the write up on this game back in EGM.

Never played it, but the ability to hack off all your opponents limbs and still have them attack you as a stump seemed pretty funny.

I have a firm memory of the the Johnny Cage advert. I wondered if that had anything to do with him being "killed" for MK3

Tacitus

Staff member
Dallas_Five said:
Woman: Gavin, don't you already have this game?
Gavin: No, Mom, you idiot! I have Bloodstorm, and Bone Squad, and Bloodstorm II, stupid.
Woman: Oh, I'm sorry, honey. We'll take a Bonestorm.
Gavin: Get two. I'm not sharing with Kaitlin!

i didn't remember that line either. Good call VT.

The only thing I have more useless trivia and knowledge of than the bungieverse is Simpsons trivia.

:D

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
oh yeah, if anyone hasn't seen Fighter's Misery, check it out.

While some of the choices are suspect (Karnov and Skullomania = badass, and a few games don't belong on that list), it's still good for a larf.

For the record, the worst fighting game (in the loosest sense of the term) i've ever played is Astral Bout. Though for some reason it's strangely fun to beat the shit out of a mexican wrestler with a boxer or karate guy...

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Dallas_Five said:
oh yeah, if anyone hasn't seen Fighter's Misery, check it out.

If kern finds that link, he's going to go on a killing spree...

GILL from STREET FIGHTER III

Fans waited EIGHT YEARS for a sequel to Street Fighter II. EIGHT YEARS!!! You'd think that after all that time, Capcom could have come up with a better last boss than this. Gill's an egotistical dork covered in clashing body paint. It gets worse, folks... he also wears a skintight diaper that must be as uncomfortable for him as it is for the player who has to look at it.