BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Finally getting to the final season of Saul. I've got 2 episodes left, it has certainly met my expectations. The way it's wrapping back around is incredibly well done.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I watched the first season of Yellowstone.

I don't get this show. If it was a show about the Mafia, maybe I'd get it, but most of all these characters are actually bad guys. Like they're honest to god straight up fucking evil and maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the intent is to have them be seen as such.

I might give the second season a try to see if the story moves anywhere, because in S1 it didn't. The overall story moved glacially. I'm not even sure there is an arc in the first season. It just a sequence of events with no clear direction other than confrontation looming far down the road.

Beautiful cinematography, but I guess that's Montana for you.

Oh well, at least Kelly Reilly is absolutely smoking hot in this.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh they're definitely awful people, it's just that other people are a lot worse and the main family wouldn't be as evil if people would just leave them alone. The show isn't really trying to make them sympathetic it's more about how outsiders come in and try to take over having no idea about the history of the area and family. They think they're a bunch of redneck simpletons that they can take advantage of. It's a family legacy/empire type show. There's a definite lead up to essentially the family having their empire potentially taken away from them and shit gets pretty crazy. It has a lot in common with shows like the Sopranos and Succession. And yeah it's extremely slow. If the first season didn't grab you then it might not be for you.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ll give the second season a watch but so far I haven’t seen the other people be worse. Perhaps the Duttons come up against people willing to do the same kind of violence as them?

I guess I’m just sympathetic with the Indian chairman character because the Duttons want to protect their land from outsiders…when in reality it’s stolen land in the first place.

Although I guess it’s only an empire if you can protect it by force. I expect everything will go up in flames.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I’ll give the second season a watch but so far I haven’t seen the other people be worse. Perhaps the Duttons come up against people willing to do the same kind of violence as them?

I guess I’m just sympathetic with the Indian chairman character because the Duttons want to protect their land from outsiders…when in reality it’s stolen land in the first place.
Yeah they come up against some interesting adversaries who are willing to use whatever means necessary, not just force but there's also a lot of legal maneuvering and politics. There's also a lot of turmoil within the ranks of the family as to wether it's even worth the lengths they go to in order to keep their empire.

The whole issue of what is and isn't rightfully owned by a group is a subject the show gets into in a pretty interesting manner and I think it does a good job of it. It develops some interesting ideas that tie in to a lot of what made/makes America.

And yes Kelly Reilly is filthy hot and definitely not afraid to show it. She's one of the best characters in the series.

I haven't watched the last season because Peacock sucks and it's also tied to Spectrum so you couldn't even watch it that season as it was airing without a cable subscription. I assume it's probably all available now though.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Watched some season 2 of Yellowstone. Once Neal McDonough showed up on Yellowstone I knew we were looking at a real fucking bad dude. That dude is just so good. My Interest in the show has been piqued again.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
BEEF- This is good. It's about a loser handyman that gets into a road rage incident with a woman that owns a designer plant/lifestyle boutique. Both people are similarly unhappy with their lives and they start to escalate the incident into a full on feud as a way to take out their aggression and gain some sort of control over their lives. Things escalate extremely fast and even though it's darkly comedic it's very fun, though I have a feeling things might get pretty fucked up later on. It is extremely well written and quite funny with an excellent cast including Steven Yuen, Ali Wong and David Choe. All of whom are perfectly cast.

It also has some of the best uses of music (specifically 90s alternative) in recent memory as far as punctuating scenes and the character's personalities without being gimmicky.

It's created by the guy behind Undone (and Dave ugh) so I had fairly high expectations and after 3 episodes it's pretty much met them. There's 10 episodes and they're only half an hour which is nice, so sick of everything being hour+ long episodes. Recommended.
It was super good! Thanks for the recommend

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Anyone ever watch a show called Doc Martin? BBC show with Martin Clunes. Fish-out-of-water comedy/drama with a surgeon who ends up having a phobia of blood so he moves to a tiny hole in the wall town and has to deal with all the crazies.

He meets a teacher (who I admittedly would root) and they have one of those annoying "will they wont they" relationships. Was watching an ep last night and the dude was shopping for some groceries, and the girl runs into him and invites him over for dinner. This is the shot they used.

1682619179050.png

No way was that unintentional :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Anyone ever watch a show called Doc Martin? BBC show with Martin Clunes. Fish-out-of-water comedy/drama with a surgeon who ends up having a phobia of blood so he moves to a tiny hole in the wall town and has to deal with all the crazies.

He meets a teacher (who I admittedly would root) and they have one of those annoying "will they wont they" relationships. Was watching an ep last night and the dude was shopping for some groceries, and the girl runs into him and invites him over for dinner. This is the shot they used.

View attachment 64853

No way was that unintentional :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh it was definitely intentional, the show is full of all kinds of goofy little things like that. My mom used to watch it frequently so I've seen a few episodes against my own will. There's some pretty funny stuff in it but it's another one of about a million formulaic "quirky" BBC shows in that vein.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Stephen Root, voice actor for Bill Dautrieve, Buck Strickland, Topsy, and others, has revealed that the King of the Hill reboot will indeed have a timeskip of about 15 years.

This would put Bobby, Connie, and Joseph in their late 20s. Hank, Peggy, Dale, Bill, Boomhauer, Nancy, Khan, and Minh should all be in their mid to late 50s. If Luanne is in the show that would put her in her mid 30s, and her daugther and Hank's brother should be teenagers.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anyone else totally smitten on Mrs. Davis? I was about to cancel Peacock then went WTF might as well try this nun show, and, it's well, good Lindelof. Story gets just a bit insane bonkers in a good way, Gilpin and McDorman have great chemistry, it's a lot to try to put in words. It took its time to get me into it but now, honestly, I have it just a bit after Succession and nothing else in recent tv rankings.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyone else totally smitten on Mrs. Davis? I was about to cancel Peacock then went WTF might as well try this nun show, and, it's well, good Lindelof. Story gets just a bit insane bonkers in a good way, Gilpin and McDorman have great chemistry, it's a lot to try to put in words. It took its time to get me into it but now, honestly, I have it just a bit after Succession and nothing else in recent tv rankings.

I’ve been enjoying Mrs Davis. It’s definitely a weird show but very cool. I liked the main actress in GLOW as well. The vibe of the show makes me wonder if it was based on like a comic book or something.

Reactions: jro

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Been watching some bad shit on streaming services:

Yellowstone - slow but enjoyable. Feels like Season 1 and 2 are one arc and Season 3 and 4 are another. Sounds like we might not get a satisfactory ending to this. Have not seen the first half of the current season.

ARK - SyFy garbage. Absolutely terrible, worse than the worst CW show with some of the most embarrassing CGI I have ever seen. It’s laugh out loud bad. Unclear where the series is going (if it isn’t canceled) because they do actually resolve all the mystery and struggle that drove the plot in the first season.

Intergalactic - canceled after 1 season, why the fuck did I watch this? Wouldn’t have if I knew it had only one season. Surprisingly high production values and some neat world building, but otherwise only really mediocre story and all stuff we’ve seen before.

Resident Alien - it’s solo 3rd rock from the sun/invader Zim starring Alan Tudyk. Great on paper but got a bit long in the tooth in Season 2. Too much focus on the problems of the other characters and S2 leans in a bit to hard in to girl power shit. It actually didn’t occur to me that most of the cast was female until they went down that path. That’s not say they didn’t deal with actual issues facing women but I just wanted more Tudyk being an awkward alien.

I think I’d like to read the comic. Highlight of the show is definitey Tudyk talking shit to an elementary school kid. Also features the Ancient Aliens guy, and honestly, kudos to him for rolling with it on this show. The little comic at the start of the episode is always hilarious.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Currently watching Mrs Davis (Peacock) and The Power (Amazon.)

You can skip The Power.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Love Alan Tudyk and wanted to like Resident Alien but couldn't get into it.

White House Plumbers- Enjoyed this much more than I thought I would so far. Excellent cast, very period accurate and funny.

Bojack's last couple seasons- This definitely should have been wrapped up around season 3 or 4. It's tired, annoying and has stretched the premise long past it's breaking point.

The Good Place- This was recommended to me and I'm not sure why. I didn't hate it, it's definitely a wine mom flavored comedy but it's just barely smart enough to be entertaining. I'd put it in the same class as Schitt's Creek.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Good Place is one of my favorite series…ever :emb: definitely top 5 and the #1 spot is The Wire.

I guess, much like Eleanor Shellstrop, I’m basic.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Top 5 is hard to list. Twin Peaks is #1 for me by ten billion miles. But after that, even good series kind of fade once time goes by. True Detective season 1 would definitely be in my top 5. Maybe Battlestar Galactica. Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes...possibly? I suppose that's 5. I feel like I'm forgetting something, which is weird to say when it's supposed to be your top 5. Magnum P.I.?

Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, stuff like that... I loved them, but I dunno. I don't think I could consider any of them top 5 material.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Thinking about it now putting The Good Place in the same bracket as Schitt's Creek isn't fair. I'd definitely rank it higher with stuff like Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, Miracle Workers etc.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Top 5 is hard to list. Twin Peaks is #1 for me by ten billion miles. But after that, even good series kind of fade once time goes by. True Detective season 1 would definitely be in my top 5. Maybe Battlestar Galactica. Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes...possibly? I suppose that's 5. I feel like I'm forgetting something, which is weird to say when it's supposed to be your top 5. Magnum P.I.?

Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, stuff like that... I loved them, but I dunno. I don't think I could consider any of them top 5 material.

Does Columbo even count as a series - it was such a cool format?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Does Columbo even count as a series - it was such a cool format?
Columbo was part of an anthology series with rotating features. So one week was Columbo, the next week was Banacek (with A-Team's Hannibal), then McMillan & Wife (with Rock Hudson), then McCloud, etc. They used to show them on A&E back in the '90s, which is where I watched Columbo and sometimes tried to force myself to sit through one of the others.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah the A&E reruns are where first I got to watch Columbo and later Poirot.

Top 5 is tough because there's so much stuff i like just based on my own personal enjoyment and re-watchablility then there's the actual exceptionally high quality stuff. The only show on my list that would definitely fall into both categories is Twin Peaks. Then there's X-Files, Tales from the Crypt, Brisco County Jr. and maybe Spaced. While at their best those are great but overall not exactly high art. Then there's junk like Buffy and Psych, that's just turn my brain off stuff.

True Detective s1 is exceptional and it's also a single self contained season which is really nice. So many critically acclaimed shows (The Wire, BB, Deadwood etc.) are long and not really conducive to re-watching since they're so involved.

Honorable mention to Black Sails no-one ever talks about it and it's awesome. It's both a prequel to Treasure Island and also a semi accurate (very semi) historical action drama and it pulls both off incredibly well.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
i have superhero content exhaustion but, after much lobbying by some coworkers, i started watching amazon's "the boys". pretty good show. i'd recommend.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Top 5 is hard to list. Twin Peaks is #1 for me by ten billion miles.
I've just recently rewatched Twin Peaks for the first time in about 20 years. Still love it, although I will say that after they wrap up the Laura Palmer investigation early in season two, it meanders a bit. But not for too long, and the finish is still probably my favorite series finale in television history.

I'm preparing to watch the 2017 continuation series for the first time. I didn't have Showtime, and just soet of missed it at the time, but I'm ready for it now.

If you haven't read 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' by Mark Frost, I highly recommend it. I read it in preparation for the '17 series, and absolutely loved it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The 2017 series is awesome but it takes a little while to build up steam. It's also a lot more Lynchian than the original series. There's stuff in there that wouldn't be out of place in Eraserhead etc. but it does a good job balancing that with the more traditional TP vibe and humor.