Beat em up of the month: Mutation Nation!

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Oh my goodness me, if that score doesnt end up winning then someone has to really step up.

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
played my first quick game b4 leaving the house only got 63,000 or so gunna need more practice b4 i take out the camera :)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
A few basics.

1. The best way to attack in the game is by using the "quick combo". This is performed by tapping :A: while holding :down:.

This combo is great because it's animation frames are short and quick, never leaving you in a vulnerable pose. It let's you turn around and kill whoever is behind you quickly, and allows you a few extra seconds to place yourself in the necessary spot where an enemy may spawn.

The move is also great against bosses not only due to what's written above.. If you slow down the pace of your tapping, you can extend a combo pulling off a larger number of hits. I.E. the first, stage 1 mid boss (buff guy who rolls around) can be killed in one 23 hit quick combo.

There is less room for error performing the quick combo when you are placed on the southernmost plane. You won't find yourself "walking down" by accident, because you can't go down any further.

2. Jumping in the game is useful, even though jump attacks are not needed in the game (unless you want to juggle a regular enemy or mid-boss. No, the juggles can't be exploited.. They're kind of use less). You can change the direction of your jump mid-air and change the plane in which you land on. I.E. you can almost jump from the southwestern-most corner to the northeastern-most corner.

Jumping is MOST useful in situations when you have 4 or 5 regular enemies encircling you. You allow them to target you/jump toward you when you're on the northern-most plane, as you jump toward the southern most plane.

3. Grab/Knee (:forw::A: or :back::A:). This is a single hit knee in a grab. You can dictate where the enemy falls by inputting the desired direction :back: or:forw:.

This is useful when you're fighting multiple regular enemies in a situation where you have three to your left and one to your right. You can knee the enemy on the right to your left so you can have all the enemies facing you in one direction, waiting there like sheep to the slaughter.

4. Specials from best to worst are:

B
D
C
A

These are ranked by power. The most powerful specials, happen to also have best recovery time as well.

When you're in a situation where more than one special power up is present, always grab the inferior special before you take the superior. You can carry a max of 5 in stock. The non lettered special power ups add one special to your stock. Obviously, collecting any special icon adds health to your meter.

IMO specials are only neccesary during mid-boss fights that contain mutiple enemies, and in a select few boss fights.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
BOSSES

Stage 1 boss
Specials needed : None

Always quick combo this boss from behind after he swings his fists twice. Dance around him as he moves, and frequently change planes as necessary. When he jumps, you should jump, so his earthquake landing effect doesn't stun you.

Stage 2 boss.
Specials needed : (at least) 3 B specials.

Stay far away from the lady as she spits out bugs. Stay off of the plane of where her bugs are landing. Use a B special from a distance. This should create enough pushback that will allow her to give birth to more bugs off screen. On the appropriate plane, B special again. When she's still spawning bugs, B special again. At this point she may jump toward you. As she lands, walk or jump toward the opposite plan she is on. As she gives birth to more bugs, quick combo her from behind.

Stage 3 boss
Specials needed: None

Dance around this guy, and jump from plane to plane. After he extends his arm twice, quick combo him from behind. Repeat. After he receives enough damage, his mechanical face will be exposed and he will perform an arm extend attack or maybe a foot sweep. Move away. If you are in mid combo while his face becomes exposed, end the combo and quickly plane jump to avoid his arm extend attack. Proceed to quick combo from behind until he's dead.

Stage 4 boss
Specials needed : None

Never allow your character's sprite to go too far to the left or right of the screen. Don't get cornered. Move around the screen from plane to plane as the boss crawls around. Make sure your characters sprite is never face to face with the boss at a close proximity. Always be prepared for this bosses running attack. By creating enough distance and varying the planes you're placed on will minimize the chance of getting hit by this attack.

Allow the boss to climb on the ceiling. Place your character on the northern or southern most plane as needed. The boss will then drop down bombs that will target you and create pillars on fire on the ground. Move away from where the bombs land, and away from the shadow on the boss hanging from the ceiling. He will drop down. The pillars of fire will start to flicker, enabling you to pass through them. Pass through the flame pillars as they flicker, and quick combo the boss from behind ONLY when he swings his claws twice. This process must be repeated until death. Beware, once this boss receives enough damage, his mechanical face will be exposed, and he may attack. If his face is exposed mid combo, stop the combo and quickly switch planes.

Stage 5 boss
Specials needed : none

As soon as you drop down from the ceiling, quick combo the boss in the white suit. His clone in the brown suit will stand to the left with a ring of clouds surrounding him. Eventually the brown clone will target you. His clouds will hurt you, and can hit you on multiple planes, i.e. (southern most and middle OR northern most and middle. Walk around the screen to avoid the clouds, and never remain in a corner. Try to wait for the white boss to float to the southern most plane. Quick combo him from the front, delaying your taps to inflict damage as quickly as possible. This boss gives me the most trouble.

Stage 6 boss rush

Part 1: Specials needed (at least) 1 D special.

This boss fight throws the bosses from stage 1 and 3 at you at once. As soon as the fight begins, use 1 D tornado special (which should have been obtained in the fourth quarter of stage 5). After the enemies have been knocked down, grab the B special on the center-right part of the stage. Apply the previously recommended tactics for both respective bosses. This can be a bit tricky. Try to focus on killing one boss (it doesn't matter which one) as quick as possible (delaying taps in the quick combo).

Part 2: Specials needed (at least) 3 B specials.

Stage 2 bug lady again. Apply the same strategy from the previous stage 2 encounter. Don't bother grabbing the A special on the ground (even if you think you need the health). Chances are, after you're done using the 3 B specials, the A icon will have disappeared.

Part 3: Specials needed A (optional).

This is the stage 4 boss. Try to grab the A special from the ground as quickly and safely as possible. It's important to grab this for health. You can use the special on this boss when he is not hanging on the ceiling, but it's pretty weak. Apply the same tactics illustrated previously.

Part 4: Specials needed None

Stage 5 boss again. Don't be tempted to grab the A special on the ground. Apply the same tactic as illustrated previously.

Part 5: Specials needed None

Line yourself up with this boss face to face at a distance. He'll transform into a monster. Stand where you are and tap A at a medium and steady pace. Don't stop, don't move. This boss will keep walking into your punch, back off to swing his arms twice and breath fire, and will continue walking into your punches. You might have carpal tunnel after the fight, but this strategy is fool proof.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
A few notes.

As far as scoring goes, the only ways to get an advantage as far as I understand is:

1. Finish a stage with as much health as possible for a bonus based on number of squares left.
2. Killing certain enemies which are often the ones that can be totally avoided in a fight. I.E. The stage 3 robo-bees. If you stay on the highest for lower plane, these bees can't hurt you and will eventually fly away. If you want to risk killing them, they yield a significant number of points. Motorcycles (which can be jumped over) and stage 5 pink aliens (which can be avoided by sticking to the appropriate plane) are worth points as well.
3.Finishing off an enemy or boss with a special when they only have a punch worth of health left. I don't recommend this if you're looking to survive, but this is a scoring competition after all.

A few more notes.

This isn't a very score centric game.
70% of the stuff I've typed probably doesn't make any sense.
There are a few decent 1cc videos of this game out there.
I'm leaving out quite a bit of quasi-important details as far as enemy sequence and placement goes. Obviously video, not text would be the most appropriate medium for this.

It takes a lot of repetition to memorize enemy and special placement here. This game gives the player tools to work with, so in that sense the game is very fair. The challenge remains in memorizing when and where to apply the necessary tools.

Last edited:

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
sweet tanx for all the info hope i can put some of this together and put a good game out =)

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I had no idea Mutation Nation was up this month. I'll try to get some games in when I can. Fantastic game that I never actually saw in the arcades.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
C'mon Mutation Nation "fans". Where are you?

History repeats itself.

Last edited: