Awesome NEO GEO Humble Bundle, buy and benefit the charity of your choice

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I got the $40 with the shirt.

I downloaded Garou real fast. The Windows installer version.

It's DotEmu.

However, the worst offender I've seen so far is that you can't remap your gamepad normally. It locks you to the Neo Geo CD layout. It looks like you might be able to jump through your own butthole and change things up in gamecontrollerdb.txt, but I'm not going to do that right now.

Still, $40 for the UMs on Steam and a shirt is a good deal. I'm going to give the UMs as Xmas presents. (You also get Steam keys for the Metal Slugs.)

I mucked around a bit more. It looks like the gamecontrollerdb.txt doesn't affect Xbox 360 gamepads. I think the emulator's detecting it as Xinput as there is no Xbox 360 controller listing under Xinput. I did try mucking with "generic controller" or whatever, and it didn't affect anything.

It's a shame because it might have been a nice way to add some Neo Geo games to your Steam library as non-Steam games.

Also, look at neogeo.dat because it's absolutely LOL! And the emulator looks like it's quite unabashedly running off teh romz, too. I haven't compared myself, but I think they're MAME compatible right out of the box.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
You should be able to remap anything using Joy2Key or a similar program. No need to go looking through and changing files for control layouts, ever.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
You should be able to remap anything using Joy2Key or a similar program. No need to go looking through and changing files for control layouts, ever.

Except for simplicity and potentially response time and really for common decency. Besides, I don't need Joy2Key mucking with my Steam Big Picture.

You should see the atrocious way the buttons are mapped on the keyboard. By the way, you can't remap those, either.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Actually, come to think of it, and I just launched Garou to see, it looks like it's one player only. WTF?

I still stand by the $40 purchase being good for the Steam keys and the shirt alone, but WTF at single player only?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Someone on cheapassgamer went pawing around and supposedly found the unibios in the emu too. This package is full of stolen nebula and community code. Fuck these guys. Humble Bundle should be ashamed to put this trash out, basically putting their stamp of approval on it. If I were Raz, I'd send a cease and desist.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
98UMFE and 2002UM have my interest...

still

old shirt > new shirt. (The old shirt was also $10 less, but you only got mobile stuff with it)
f00181d51cea7223d71323fba8b90d90f1680384.jpg
tumblr_nz2237wPcX1qzp9weo1_540.jpg

not that I'd ever wear or even buy either one.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Someone on cheapassgamer went pawing around and supposedly found the unibios in the emu too. This package is full of stolen nebula and community code. Fuck these guys. Humble Bundle should be ashamed to put this trash out, basically putting their stamp of approval on it. If I were Raz, I'd send a cease and desist.

LOL! I missed that earlier. I did see the Vs. BIOS, though. It looks like they literally used teh romz from teh internets. Which, when you get right down to it, it's not that bad. I don't think they're using any prerecorded audio, unlike the Metal Slugs on Steam, which has performed in a buggy manner. Garou sounded fine to me.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
LOL! I missed that earlier. I did see the Vs. BIOS, though. It looks like they literally used teh romz from teh internets. Which, when you get right down to it, it's not that bad. I don't think they're using any prerecorded audio, unlike the Metal Slugs on Steam, which has performed in a buggy manner. Garou sounded fine to me.
Just to confirm, their MS2 has a neogeo.zip, and it does contain a bunch of unibios files.

Attachments

• neo.jpg
    neo.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 194

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
DotEmu asserts they bought the rights to use the GameTap emulator: http://www.dotemu.com/Letter/NeoGeo.html

~LOL. These thieves stole community code, and then hide behind the fact they have approval from SNK to use the ROMs. Well, there is no SNK anymore... Unless they mean SNKP, and the Chinese chicken company that now holds the rights to these IPs.

Whether or not they actually have the rights to use Nebula is open for debate, maybe they do, maybe they don't. What I'd like to know is if they have the rights to use the UNI BIOS that they so lovingly left in the ROMs they downloaded from Kick Ass Torrents when they put this Humble Bundle together.

SNKP may hold the rights to these games, but their games don't play on desktop computers without emulation. Their games don't play in browsers, like the folks here thought was so novel, without emulation. That emulation is not owned by SNKP, and they have zero right to just lift it. The emu makers never stole from SNKPs pocket. They created a means to play the games on new hardware. Something SNKP obviously can't figure out on their own, or think would cost too much to reproduce on their own, since they just use community code to do it instead. It's funny how little people actually value our gaming community's hard work in making these things actually work, and make SNKP's IPs still valuable. Without the emus, what would SNKP even have to sell, anymore? Code for a long dead console that nobody has? LOL.

Seriously, fuck these thieves.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I think I'm right in saying nebula uses the 68000 from MAME (or other author). In effect while Elsemi may have given permission for them to use Nebula they would have needed seperate authorisation to use the 68k core and probably the Z80 core if it was for use in a sold product.

I was not approached by them about the universe Bios but then again I am not sure if the Universe Bios can be a used bios in their emulation setup.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
~LOL. These thieves stole community code, and then hide behind the fact they have approval from SNK to use the ROMs. Well, there is no SNK anymore... Unless they mean SNKP, and the Chinese chicken company that now holds the rights to these IPs.

Whether or not they actually have the rights to use Nebula is open for debate, maybe they do, maybe they don't. What I'd like to know is if they have the rights to use the UNI BIOS that they so lovingly left in the ROMs they downloaded from Kick Ass Torrents when they put this Humble Bundle together.

SNKP may hold the rights to these games, but their games don't play on desktop computers without emulation. Their games don't play in browsers, like the folks here thought was so novel, without emulation. That emulation is not owned by SNKP, and they have zero right to just lift it. The emu makers never stole from SNKPs pocket. They created a means to play the games on new hardware. Something SNKP obviously can't figure out on their own, or think would cost too much to reproduce on their own, since they just use community code to do it instead. It's funny how little people actually value our gaming community's hard work in making these things actually work, and make SNKP's IPs still valuable. Without the emus, what would SNKP even have to sell, anymore? Code for a long dead console that nobody has? LOL.

Seriously, fuck these thieves.

I'm sure this "bundle" is great news if you've never used MAME ever in your life.

Will that Metal Slug (Neo-Geo 25th Anniversary) T-Shirt be available separately from the bundle? I've seen the maker (FanGamer) has other stuff on their site but not that one. I mostly like the logo on the side sleeve.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
I was not approached by them about the universe Bios but then again I am not sure if the Universe Bios can be a used bios in their emulation setup.
From the looks of it, it doesn't really use the unibios files in neogeo.zip (I deleted them and the rom still loads without any issues). The files are there, but it just seems that it's due to them being careless.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

Whether or not the unibios is being used in this distribution doesn't exclude them from the fact that they are distributing your work without permission. Just like the Neo-Geo X including the playstation 1 bios from the emulator suite they lifted. Doesn't make it legal to include it even if it's not touched.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Whether or not the unibios is being used in this distribution doesn't exclude them from the fact that they are distributing your work without permission. Just like the Neo-Geo X including the playstation 1 bios from the emulator suite they lifted. Doesn't make it legal to include it even if it's not touched.

Yup I know.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
RabbitTroop is right, this sucks big time.

Randomsense

New Challenger
Its sad how this sort of thing can go south so quickly once you start looking deeper into it. Its a fine line and it seems more companies decide to take the easy (and wrong) path.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
Haha, I stopped reading after three posts or so, bought the bundle and continued reading... I'd not buy it again :rolleyes:

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Four more games were added to the bundle. KoF 2002. Ironclad, Blazing Star, and RBFF2...
Just a heads up.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
They didn't change the controls at all but it is possible to do an ass backwards two player with one person using a controller and another using a keyboard. Either control method can be player one or two.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You really can't beat 98um and 02um for $10. The rest of this mess is a real shame.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
You really can't beat 98um and 02um for $10. The rest of this mess is a real shame.

Definitely, and having the Metal Slugs for steam is nice too. Just make sure you dial this one all to charity, and don't give the developers a dime for their shenanigans. That's the one nice thing about Humble Bundle.