Austin FANTASTIC FEST film festival (new Romero, Miike and Uwe Boll movies!)

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
So, I'm a bad forum member. I don't really keep up with everything going on. I've been busy. :(

BUT I'm currently in Austin for the FANTASTIC FEST film festival.

Unfortunately we missed Zombieland and seeing Woody. Did see Harry Knowles though (cool dude).

We saw today -

J-20: THE FIEND WITH 20 FACES - good Japanese "superhero" genre movie - set in 1949 Japan where WW2 didn't happen. Stars the dude from Onimusha (lol). I thought it would suck but it didn't.

YATTERMAN by TAKASHI MIIKE - I loved it but it was repetitive. Never saw the tv show. The whole movie is crazy though. The effects are actually REALLY good (in their own way). There are also titty missiles and a mecha sex scene.

Saw SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD by GEORGE ROMERO - First screening of the movie in the US. I loved it - I thought it would be awful (bad memories of LAND OF THE DEAD), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. And ROMERO was in attendance so he did a kinda cool Q and A. He says he'll probably never do a video game because every time he gets approached - they only want his name on it - no creative input.

THE REVENANT - Why I'm here - I'm the lead compositor for this movie. It's the best movie ever made (until I make a feature). Buddy zombie/ vampire shoot 'n' loot run 'n' gun dark comedy movie.

Might see UWE BOLL at some point (lol). I'll keep everyone updated (if anyone cares).

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
oh no! not more of those abominations aka uwe boll movies.

how does he even raise money for more?
all the sponsors must not know the quality of his work then? ugh.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
Nah dude - so I saw his new movie RAMPAGE (about someone going around and shooting a lot of innocent people) and it was really good. Reminded me of a Larry Clark movie. Everyone here kinda changed their minds about Uwe and had a collective hard-on for him.

It's harder to hate him because he can argue his shit so well... really, he did what someone else would've done had he not existed... And he's changed - see RAMPAGE, really - that's if it gets released. Kinda touchy material there.

He also had a boxing match with the festival director (Uwe didn't rampage on him though).

Rumor has it he's gonna make Ms. Pac-Man into a movie.

Also, the movie I worked on THE REVENANT won best director and an audience award. Neato.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This sounds like the coolest film fest ever. I have to keep myself more in the loop of these things so I make the trip next time.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm surprised Merc and rarehero don't post about this.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I tried to read your post, I really tried. But:

(I really wanted to hear about the new romero movie too! :()

l_7c458ed6aaa36ad78de5df3daa215b92.jpg

Marek

Banned
I'm with wasabi on this one. It sounds like a great time.

"There are also titty missiles and a mecha sex scene."

kek

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
I tried to read your post, I really tried. But:

(I really wanted to hear about the new romero movie too! :()

l_7c458ed6aaa36ad78de5df3daa215b92.jpg

Christ, Knowles is such a sickeningly fat bastard. I wish he'd at least shave that ginger beard for gods sake. Also his site uses entirely too many exclamation marks.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
Harry kicks major ass.

There are also secret screenings at FANTASTIC FEST - they showed the new Coen brothers last night (whatever the name is - I didn't see it).

Also saw VAMPIRE GIRL VS. FRANKENSTEIN GIRL - Japanese movie - total gore and awesomeness. A chick nailed her severed arm to her head and used it as a propeller and flew away like a helicopter. And skulls bursted out of heads and shit. Great if you're into that sort of thing. Blood spraying everywhere.

Saw another great movie - SALVAGE - kinda like a Silent Hill / Resident evil type movie. Pretty scary in parts. Don't think it'll get that big of a release...

SERIOUSLY - anyone here that goes to film festivals - you should come here - it's awesome. Lots and lots of great stuff that (most likely) won't get a release - at least not a wide one.

And it's in AUSTIN, TX. It's a great city - first time here and I love it.

Again Harry Knowles rocks. He's a sweet guy with a big heart and has really helped us a LOT. And he digs just doing his own thing which is cool.

G4 Attack of the show or whatever was also here - the chick and the dude - maybe they broadcasted stuff from the festival? I dunno.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR FANTASTIC FEST NEXT YEAR FELLAS

The biggest genre film fest in the US!

aria

Former Moderator
Harry Knowles? The last time I remember him being relevant was like 2000.

Seems like a nice guy, but I always associate him with the dot com boom when people with marginal writing skills could get a big web following.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
Ohhh sounds like someone's jealousssss.... lol

Nah, he's still a big deal. We got interest from a couple big studios primarily because of his review (and more film fests solicited us).

Saw THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE earlier. Sounds like what it is - horror movie about making a human centipede out of 3 people. Pretty dope.

Also saw THE CHILDREN. Where children kill and are killed. Another horror movie - almost all of it taking place in broad daylight - I love horror movies set during the day.

Word on the street is tomorrow's "secret screening" will either be Stallone's THE EXPENDABLES or Wes Anderson's gay fox movie....

Harry Knowles? The last time I remember him being relevant was like 2000.

Seems like a nice guy, but I always associate him with the dot com boom when people with marginal writing skills could get a big web following.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
Nah - I don't know what that is... and I'm to lazy to research it.

So - last day of the festival. Saw DISTRICT 13 ULTIMATUM - overall pretty disappointed with it - a lot less personal and a lot less parkour. Felt really gay x-men at the end. If that makes sense.

ALSO - Dolph Lundgren was around in a vip room somewhere. Didn't get a chance to see him. Apparently the new UNIVERSAL SOLDIER was shown tonight.