atomiswave question

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
quick question.

was playing Metal slug 6 on my NNC. man it's like playing CGA games in VGA mode. I flipped the 15k switch but then it's 480i... wtf.. ow my eyes.

so. should i get a scanline generator ? MS6 looks pretty bad in 480p compared to say, MS3 in 240p.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Well yeah, the thing with AW is that while the backgrounds are all sharp and 480p the character sprites aren't for some reason, as if they were transferred from the old 240p rez to match the larger 480p backgrounds. This also happen in KOFXI, NBGC, and Neowave. Funny enough this problem is not present on the PS2 ports and under progressive scan the games looks phenomenal, way better than the carts, lol. Scanline generator on AW?! Dude, the sprites are fudged, no scanlines are gonna fix that. Sorry man. ...but there are some good news! Guilty GearX 1.5 and FotNS/Hokutonoken, looks legit on both 15k and 31k. Same thing for Isuka and the Rumble Fish games even though RF runs on a very sharp 480i when on 15k, almost looks like 24k.

I used to have a cyberlead and although it wasn't try-synch, you could run VGA to it but at a lower rez, it wasn't 31k but it wasn't 15k either, think looked awesome with AW, I kinda miss the cab now...lol.

Come to think of it, it seems only SNKP games have this problem 'cause Dolphin Blue looks great too...rather curious now, maybe someone else can shed some light unto this.

Also, back to the scanline thing. While the scanlines would be trying to accommodate the 240p upscaled sprites...the 480p backgrounds will look odd on a scanline generator. I dunno, guess I have to see it in action but most scanline generators are off even under the best of cirmunstances on LCDs, I dunno how well would they work on VGA CRT. The math doesn;t add up though, just my POV on it thought, I'm down to be questioned or proven wrong.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ow your eyes? brightness through the roof? it will do that on some monitors. I don't mind AW games in 15k but the mileage varies I guess.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I remember running Atomiswave on my E2 cab in 15k and thought it looked horrible. Now playing the games in 15k on my TV I can confirm how crappy it looks, 31k or nothing IMO. I play MS6 without scan lines and it looks good to me, but yea the sprites look a little out of place.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd say get one. Most AW games look best in VGA with no scanlines, but a few look better with scanlines, notably the SNK games like KOF that have pretty brutal looking upscaled sprites. I don't have MS6 so I haven't tried it.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I use to run AW in a clone noir with a LCD screen and in 31hz mode it looked good, I added a Scan line generator with the adjustable levels and it made it look better but didn't look horrible even if I took it out of 4:3 mode. Mostly ran ms6 and dolphin blue. I say get one and if you don't prefer it for that setup just use it on the next project Crankster.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Dolphin blue looks freaking stunning with progressive scan on. Metal slug 6 not so much.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, no reason to use scanlines on Dolphin Blue, it's drawn at the correct resolution and looks amazing.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Seems like it's just SNKP games that have the issues with Try-Synch...god damn it SNKP!

Just to reiterate, the PS2 ports of SNKP AW games look awesome in progressive scan, I mean perfect! Better than the AW, although AW on a VGA CRT looks pretty rad!

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
thx for feedback all.

yeah FOTN looks great for sure. guess they were just lazy and simply scaled the sprites in a few of the games... which is why i brought up the slg idea.

need to try some in the stack rog let me borrow :D

lachlan, I said ow my eyes because interlaced mode is terrible. the jitter is very noticeable to me.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
No personal experience with the Atomiswave, but I've found that the Naomi looks terrible in 15k as well. It's 31k or bust for that platform.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
ok, another thing.

so I made a stereo adapter for it, but it seems that the channels are bleeding into each other. aka,

1) I can hear the left channel faintly in the right one, and vice versa.
2) that only happens if i have both rca cables connected. if I only connect the right or the left, I don't have this issue..

I tried with headphones to make sure my cab's amp wasn't the issue, so... did I miswire something or this is normal with the atomiswave ?