Arcade1up better than real cabs?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Welp, its finished. This got sent to the backburner a bit because there were some issues with the CP overlay, so they sent me a new one. And then for some reason yet another new one came in.

So - I know the first thing people will notice is - whats up with the pattern on the control panel? Why is it off center?

Because there's not enough room. This is actually the 2nd CP Ive had to install. The first one I got all ready, centered real nice - but then the HAPP joysticks I went to install prevented the control panel from actually lining up. Player 2 would work fine, but Player 1 would not have enough room. The mount for the stick is too large. I even shaved some of it down to save space, still not enough. I even tried putting in a Sanwa stick to test and even it was too close to the edge to let the CP be mounted.

So I ended up getting a 2nd control panel, and used the 2nd overlay I got to install it. After humming and hawing about what I should do, I thought - well, its gonna look weird, but this is the best I can do with the Arcade1Up control panel's size. There is another option. One of the first people I was talking to about an art set told me there is a 3D printable mount you can put together that will allow a larger control panel to be installed, which would give the CP a bit more height, and room for the sticks to sit comfortably. But then the dude just fell off the face of the earth.

Overall, I'm happy with the outcome. Im a tiny bit bummed that the CP doesn't look centered, but if I had the art scaled down to actually have it nice and centered, the sticks and buttons would look really out of place, and would likely overlap the button labels.

At this point, I'm ok with it. Its not gonna be sold, its just gonna sit in my office and I'm probably the only one that will end up playing it so its not all bad. This was a bit of a headache having to deal with getting the artwork. Most if not all places will charge you for the design if its not something that is continually sold or in demand, which is understandable for sure. But even when I would reply and ask how much the charge was, the places would ghost me.

The only one that came through and had the design mostly set up and didn't charge to modify the CP overlay was EscapePod. I know some people have issues with them and their quality, but this works fine for me. I had a pleasant experience with them, and they came through and fixed an issue even though they messed up something.

final.jpg

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
lol yeah. Sitting next to my Neo25 and my Chew it seems oddly outta place. But thankfully its not the A1U. Its a full fledged JAMMA RAGE!

Course you need two skinny fagits to play head to head, so its just one chunky DD playing with by himself.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Next release : Time Crisis.
Great game, but A1UP isn't too small for this type of game ? Gun is larger than the screen.

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Great game, but A1UP isn't too small for this type of game ? Gun is larger than the screen.

The arcade I worked at had the giant 55" projection screen version of it so the jump down to a small screen...I don't know. The big saving grace is having Point Blank as one of the games. Steel Gunner 1 and 2 aren't too bad either.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

I love me some Point Blank. Steel Gunner 1+2, not so much. I want it, and have space in my arcade, but not for $749. I'll wait for the inevitable price drop/sale. I'd pay $600 for it.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
God I love Time Crisis. Wish I could play it again. Spent so many hours on 1 and 2, even Project Titan.
The guncon pays itself with Time Crisis on the PS1 even if there weren’t any other compatible games. Which is not the case.

Namco 3D arcade game design rules and Time Crisis is no different

Last edited:

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Thinking of switching out the digital arcade joystick on my cab for an analogue joystick (same look and profile, but analogue axis instead of microswitches). This could open up a bunch of analogue only games, like jet set radio future and many other games from the GC, PS2, Xbox gen that used analogue only movement. Could also be good for modern games, many of which use analogue sticks for movement instead of dpads, would also be better for the various arcade games that expect an analogue stick like monkey ball, planet harrier, star wars trilogy, etc which are currently unplayable with digital controls. Could also still be used for mame and old games like shmups and fighters expecting digital input, there would just be smooth movement like a thumb stick instead of clicky digital movement.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Thinking of switching out the digital arcade joystick on my cab for an analogue joystick (same look and profile, but analogue axis instead of microswitches). This could open up a bunch of analogue only games, like jet set radio future
Yes play JSRF with arcade controls on your child sized hunk of shit pretend cabinet. Brilliant.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Yes play JSRF with arcade controls on your child sized hunk of shit pretend cabinet. Brilliant.
Could be neat to retheme it and get some graffiti tags on it as artwork. Maybe have the marquee say bomb rush cyberfunk to trade on the reputation of that new game and get more likes and attention. Gonna get this baby featured on Kotaku yeah!

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Ill wait for the Time Crisis cab to go $300 and reskin it to Point Blank. That's probably the sweet spot for me to buy but even then im hesitant. I got my self a gun4ir and might just use it for shooting cab w/ that instead.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Can't remember the last time I turned on any of mine...wouldnt be surprised if the pcb's have failed, ha.

Regarding Time Crisis, 17 inches is just too small of a screen for a gun game, regardless of the price.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Atari Reveals 50th Anniversary Arcade Cabinet (USA Exclusive)

FefzYcL.jpg

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I thought the lcd screen in mine broke, but it was simply that the ribbon cable had partially pulled out of the pcb so now it's back to normal.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Atari Reveals 50th Anniversary Arcade Cabinet (USA Exclusive)

FefzYcL.jpg

Once that nostalgia-fueled adrenaline rush wears off, you'll be filled with buyers remorse as most of the games are badly-dated crap.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Only one of these I would even consider getting is if they released Gauntlet Legends. I wanted the pcb / Vegas setup when I had my Sigma. Way to much bullshit to mess with.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
I feel a disturbing urge to buy that darn Mortal Kombat 1 legacy thing. Do you think my wife would love me more if I secretly bought one?

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I feel a disturbing urge to buy that darn Mortal Kombat 1 legacy thing. Do you think my wife would love me more if I secretly bought one?
You'll want the new MKII one if you go that route , MK1 has too many issues especially the monitor

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
You'll want the new MKII one if you go that route , MK1 has too many issues especially the monitor

That's what I heard yes... The thing is I have no interest in the MKII cabinet, it's the MK1 design that was making the itch, even if it's not completely accurate...
So no buy for now, maybe I'll reconsider if it ever goes on sale. I've had enough unexpectedly non-working/shitty modern devices recently not to get another one that I expect to require a fucking monitor replacement. :uhoh: