Anyone collect vinyl?

zombiesara

, She-sagwa
And if so, got anything interesting?
I'm currently listening to Buddhist Monk chanting. It was a rather exciting find really.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
HazMaPo_Story.jpg

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I just downloaded over 1000 Motown singles.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I collect 80s dance and remix vinyl.

Around 500 or so.

Most rare/impressive are two copies of Nick Heyward's Tell Me Why (Extended Mix). Limited edition of 200. I own numbers 7 and 126. Probably worth around $600 bucks combined or so.

My Razormaid! collection rivals any I've ever seen before as well.

Now though, this stuff isn't nearly as hard to get. I've searched for stuff only available on vinyl before for upwards of 7 years. Now I can download it in seconds.

Takes the love and passion out of music...

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I'm a vinyl fanatic but i had to take a long break cuz it was burning a hole in my pocket. I used to order shitloads of Jungle/Drum'n'Bass albums from the UK and pay in British pounds, OUCH!!

But I collect mostly 80's music, Drum'n'Bass and oldshool Rave music.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
i have about 10 :emb:

hopefully 100+ by 09

and a MILLION by 2010

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Soulthug, you're a young punk with an old soul ;)

@Borman, you wouldn't wanna let me around there. I know for sure i'd try to get something out of you somehow.

Xiahou

Cheng's Errand Boy
I own about 500 vinyls, mostly 60s/70s era stuff, everything from Captain Beefheart At The Magic Band to Frank Zappa/The Mothers. My most interesting vinyl is a test pressing for the Highway 61 Revisited album by Bob Dylan, with a different take of "It Takes A Lot To Laugh.." and a slightly altered "From A Buick".

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't say I collect vinyl, it's just my format of choice.

qube said:
Now though, this stuff isn't nearly as hard to get. I've searched for stuff only available on vinyl before for upwards of 7 years. Now I can download it in seconds.

So true, there's nothing as lame as an mp3.

Last edited:
I collect punk rock records. If anyone has Boogadaboogadaboogada by Screaching Weasel. I will trade MVS or cash for it.

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
SPINMASTER X said:
Soulthug, you're a young punk with an old soul ;)

@Borman, you wouldn't wanna let me around there. I know for sure i'd try to get something out of you somehow.

Theres thousands of records. Theres 2 more walls like that, plus more in the middle and other areas ;) We bought a whole bunch of them at one time from some old lady, thought there were 1000 max, turns out theres 10k plus or so hah

zombiesara

, She-sagwa
our collection is very small by comparison,
my favorites by far are the chinese cha-cha ablums i found at Goodwill

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Borman said:
Theres thousands of records. Theres 2 more walls like that, plus more in the middle and other areas ;) We bought a whole bunch of them at one time from some old lady, thought there were 1000 max, turns out theres 10k plus or so hah
Is it a load of junk or are there some good records in there?

I only have a few records at my new apartment, I left about 100 or so with a friend but I'm still interesting in collecting, it's just hard to afford right now and I don't have much space for it.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
oldschool said:
Is it a load of junk or are there some good records in there?

Exactly what I was wondering.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
im one of the losers that obsessively collects post-metal vinyl; like isis, pelican, etc.

also, i have a vinyl copy of lateralus signed by all the members of tool.

but my favorite vinyl is my copy of the apocalypse now! soundtrack.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sure do...some of my favorites:

Radiohead heavy vinyl- Hail to the Thief, OK Computer and Kid A
Soul Coughing- Irresistible Bliss
AC/DC- Back in Black
Genesis- The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
don't really collect so much anymore.
funny story.
i was at a silversun pickups show in austin and signed up for a contest
and ended up winning a
3-record promo live las vegas show for the white stripes vinyl.
i had a friend who b day was coming up so i decided to give it to her.
i did look it up though. the vinyl looks to go for about 100-150 when its up on
ebay. so i told her that if she didn't like the white stripes. maybe she could
find value in the fact that other folks value it for a good amount of pocket change.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
qube said:

this raises difficult questions

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I don't understand the vinyl thing.
I do have some tho, Some Kiss & Slayer.
Lots of MetallicA stuff.
But it's just kinda like "Cool, Look what I have." not OMG vinyl is the ultimate!
To each their own I guess.

Xiahou

Cheng's Errand Boy
HellioN said:
I don't understand the vinyl thing.
I do have some tho, Some Kiss & Slayer.
Lots of MetallicA stuff.
But it's just kinda like "Cool, Look what I have." not OMG vinyl is the ultimate!
To each their own I guess.

warm analogue sound, usually well mastered vs harsh digital over-compressed, no-noised remasterd compact discs(which can actually sound prettyn nice if its well mastered)

Large cover-art also rocks ; )

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Xiahou said:
warm analogue sound, usually well mastered vs harsh digital over-compressed, no-noised remasterd compact discs(which can actually sound prettyn nice if its well mastered)

Large cover-art also rocks ; )

You forgot the most important thing, the only thing IMO. Some stuff you just can't get on another format, even digital in some instances.

I have things on vinyl that, unless I transfer them myself, I will never probably find on disc or digital.

I don't buy any new vinyl, as you can get digital of most stuff, but for old remixes and b-sides, rarities, you sometimes have to go vinyl.

Xiahou

Cheng's Errand Boy
qube said:
You forgot the most important thing, the only thing IMO. Some stuff you just can't get on another format, even digital in some instances.

I have things on vinyl that, unless I transfer them myself, I will never probably find on disc or digital.

I don't buy any new vinyl, as you can get digital of most stuff, but for old remixes and b-sides, rarities, you sometimes have to go vinyl.

Haha, true! So many hidden gems out there.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Metal started in vinyl, and true metal will remain in vinyl! I love picture vinyls myself, I think I'll never get over that phase, everytime I play a vinyl it takes me back to 1988 listening to 7th son of a 7th son's intro while the "popcorn" was going on the background, it was mystifying!

It's a shame new metal albums seldomly get a vinyl release, thanks to maiden I'm still getiing current vinyls though.