8Bitdo Neo geo wireless controller SNK licensed

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So, did you end up buying the controller again? You like it or what?

I feel bad that you cancelled the preorder because of my post lol
I had wanted to bump my order down from 2 to 1 originally, but Amazon wouldn't let me. Perhaps too close to release. So I canceled instead and took my time before re-ordering. Yeah, I got one, and with tempered expectations it's fine. The main thing is I don't really need another USB/BT controller. I'm more interested in a long-term replacement for the fragile original Neo pads.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I was watching part of this, and all I could think about during the sections about wireless controllers was how much money they could've saved sticking with the stock wired controllers included with the systems. This is one of the costs of having a ridiculous gaming setup with expensive scart switchers and capture devices. Lucky for these guys they probably get so many accessories sent to them for free.

Finding the most authentic wireless controller and corresponding bluetooth adapter for each of my consoles seems like another gooby new obsession that I simply DO NOT need in my life. I just got the Neo BT adapter out of curiosity and I'm going to stop there.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I was watching part of this, and all I could think about during the sections about wireless controllers was how much money they could've saved sticking with the stock wired controllers included with the systems. This is one of the costs of having a ridiculous gaming setup with expensive scart switchers and capture devices. Lucky for these guys they probably get so many accessories sent to them for free.

Finding the most authentic wireless controller and corresponding bluetooth adapter for each of my consoles seems like another gooby new obsession that I simply DO NOT need in my life. I just got the Neo BT adapter out of curiosity and I'm going to stop there.

I was headed in the same direction.
Got a pair of 8BD BT adapters for SNES heavily discounted from eBay.
Next thing I know I have one for my DC and I'm looking to get more when I realize I'm about to drop hundreds of dollars getting accessories for systems I don't play very often.
I stopped looking.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

The issue here is authenticity. That's a huge waste of time, 8bitgoob is an easy buy (I love their black transparent snes controller) but you can just buy the receiver for each system and use any old reliable bt controller for all of them. Problem solved!

I only went with the NG pad because it's an unique design and the two I own are on their last legs, if the NG pad didn't have the clicky stick there's no way I would have bothered.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I was watching part of this, and all I could think about during the sections about wireless controllers was how much money they could've saved sticking with the stock wired controllers included with the systems.

You're probably right, but sometimes I hook up my consoles to my Retrotink 2x on my living room LCD and fuck those controller wires when they get in the way or make you have to drag the console as close as you can to the couch.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The issue here is authenticity. That's a huge waste of time, 8bitgoob is an easy buy (I love their black transparent snes controller) but you can just buy the receiver for each system and use any old reliable bt controller for all of them. Problem solved!
So you're buying $50 receivers for each of your systems? Count me out.

You're probably right, but sometimes I hook up my consoles to my Retrotink 2x on my living room LCD and fuck those controller wires when they get in the way or make you have to drag the console as close as you can to the couch.
I guess some people want to trade their childhood RF or composite signal for RGB or HDMI, while others prioritize ditching the controller wires. For me personally, I love the cables I grew up with, and enjoy taking this stuff out and using it. I'm content with extension cables. But for others it's worth upgrading.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
aliexpress
<wtf why do we europeans always get shafted
LOL smokey if you think europeans are getting shafted you should be glad you don't know what's going on over here for products over $50... BTW that's the official 8BitDo store and not some random guy selling them, the service is pretty good all things considered. That's where I bought my NGCD pad on preorder that came before launch date.

Not that anyone cares, but to clarify I'm not all-in on bluetooth receivers, I don't have that many different consoles and some are fine with wired controllers anyway (I have a shit ton of PS1 controllers, some cool PC Engine ones despite the short wire length, etc.), but there are consoles where I'm lacking on that department or where the short wires of the controllers are too annoying so I'd have to buy another controller for it anyway (ZNEZZZ).

Can't wait for the bt adapter from SAG, despite not being that accurate it's a good substitute for the NGCD pad which is a joy for non-fighters.

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
I bought them from Stoneage, got them in two days
I bought mine there too but it will take longer to get to Europe. Is it normal for a package in the USA to have so many stops before it reaches a plane, it doesn't look very efficient

Salem a few stops inbetween till chicago and than detroit, that looks funny on the map

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
If you're doing USPS then yeah it's normal.
They have a convoluted routing system.
To a normal person it seems highly inefficient but then again we aren't running on other people's money so...

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
It is usps, I selected 5-14 Day Shipping Priority Mail International

I received my BT adapter today and it works without any problems on my omvs and above all fits easily into the db15 port

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
My only concern with this pad is will the D-Pad eventually shit itself from solid use? The original pads were notorious for breaking down over time.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I'm quite frankly not as worried, they aren't going to just do a run of this and stop if they really put in the effort they claim they did making this controller.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
My only concern with this pad is will the D-Pad eventually shit itself from solid use? The original pads were notorious for breaking down over time.
That's the million dollar question on these pads, and only time with tell. I generally agree with @Burning Fight!! they are probably going to have less problems than the originals. For the moment at least, these pads are much easier to source than working originals. I might stock up -- Maybe Amazon will have a sale.

NeoSeeD

n00b
I finally managed to get a Neo BT adapter and after pairing it with the 8bitdo NGCD pad, I found the experience to be pretty seamless. Metal Slug, KOF, Puzzle Bubble, Nam 75, Magician Lord and Mutation Nation all felt great and I almost immediately forgot that I wasn't playing with my original pad. When I did remember, I turned on turbo on Aero Fighters 2 & 3 and it was a nice option to have.

Overall, I'm happy except for the fact that 8bitdo should have their own receiver for this. It would be great if the Neo, PCE/TG, Saturn & N64 had 2.4ghz receivers by them.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Again there's no reason why they crippled the controller like this when they have controllers and adapters for a shit ton of systems. Want to pair it with an 8bitdo genesis or snes adapter, bluetooth or 2.4g? Nope, fuck youuuu

God bless blueretro. Still waiting for mine