ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'll be honest, I didn't even know these existed until today. Is there some super obvious way to tell without romoving the inserts from my carts? The neo-store pictures are really dark on my phone so I'm having a tough time telling if I'd notice the texture difference?

Also, has anyone gotten a bootleg case without knowing it when you made your purchase. Damn DGE stuff takes bootlegs/reproductions a tad too far IMO. I think all repro items should be marked repro in one way or another.

Also, now that Shawn sells bootlegs, can bootlegs be sold in the marketplace? I'm serious.

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
The repro cases close differently, you can feel it when you close them, after about one to two uses, they already loose their "snap", even my 20 year old snap case still "snaps". I don't see any issues with the snap breaking, it's just not as tight (that's what he said). I purchased a few from shawn to replace a few that had a broken snap clasp. I keep the old ones in a storage bin, so if I ever do sell them, I'll include both.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
NGdev uses these, if you have seen one of their games.

Unfortunately not in person. I don't see why they have to say SNK on them. Everyone knows NGDEV is Indie. Should have replaced the SNK logos with "AES" logos.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Unfortunately not in person. I don't see why they have to say SNK on them. Everyone knows NGDEV is Indie. Should have replaced the SNK logos with "AES" logos.

solid point. I mean they put AES on their english inserts.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
So side by side, with inserts in, can you visually tell that the real cases have a more textured clear plastic?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
So side by side, with inserts in, can you visually tell that the real cases have a more textured clear plastic?

The problem is SNK's snaplocks were always a little bit different nearly every year. Earlier snaplocks had a rougher texture on the plastic sleeve than later snaplocks.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
And i've also noticed the plastic part that covers the insert can be loose or tight as well.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
They are very close. Only the most anal retentive would notice.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
There was a thread discussing the differences some time ago... I couldn't spot the difference "in the field" if I tried, but maybe this is helpful to you.

//EDIT: Unfortunately the picture Shroom posted there is gone, it had the most telling part marked... maybe PM him, he might still have it on his hard drive.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Wanna know about canadian bootleg work ?
Ask a french

http://www.neogeo-players.com/t74-reconnaitre-une-boite-dure-originale-snk-et-une-reproduction

There is another soft & hard box manufacturer who is spanish by the way.

Awesome link!!!
Definitive way to tell eaily is the half moon on the bottom corner when you open the case (for those that don't want to check the link) :)

Original (large moon):
266474coinSNK.jpg

NGDEV/DGE boot (smaller moon):
154896coinRAZION.jpg

Bad boot/spanish? (No moon):
520229coinbatarde.jpg

mathieu4d

Crazed MVS Addict
Yes, the third one is the spanish one.

I would not qualify it as "bad", as it is objectively of at least the same quality than the dge one.
One other way to see the difference, is the darkness of the plastic.
On new boxes, it slightly whiten when bent (snaplock).

Any way, genuine hard box are of a better manufacturing.
Soft boxes… is another matter tho.

Glad I could help ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I was actually surprised at the quality of the DGE one when I had Gunlord. I didn't notice anything really different other than it was minty fresh.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Iirc i think there is a good way to tell by looking at the area where the snap latch hooks to. I remember some photos a few years ago of the way that area was molded.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
They have enough difference to distinguish them from the original cases and enough similarity to become part of any collection without any problems. They are a bit lighter and tend to bend concavely when closed. The outer transparent plastic is, optically and haptically, different and the first bunches had some glittering particles inside. But also the plastic of the cart is different, so are homebrew games in general, so everything is the way it should be.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
They have enough difference to distinguish them from the original cases and enough similarity to become part of any collection without any problems. They are a bit lighter and tend to bend concavely when closed. The outer transparent plastic is, optically and haptically, different and the first bunches had some glittering particles inside. But also the plastic of the cart is different, so are homebrew games in general, so everything is the way it should be.

It's nice to be able to identify the cases. A seller should always disclose a repro case, but unfortunately the world isn't a trustworthy place and as these get circulated they will spread like an epidemic to unsuspecting buyers. The repros are a wonderful alternative for displaying your games, but not for resale. I'd take a scuffed up SNK snaplock over a DGE bootleg any day of the week for my official carts.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'd take a scuffed up SNK snaplock over a DGE bootleg any day of the week for my official carts.

That's my girl, couldn't put it better ;). I'd also take a decayed MVS shell over a wooden one, with a nice weathered, ruptured, yet original, label. Used is the new black.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
My original snap lock case for Razion broke within matter of weeks,never had that problem on the orignal snk snaplocks.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
That's my girl, couldn't put it better ;). I'd also take a decayed MVS shell over a wooden one, with a nice weathered, ruptured, yet original, label. Used is the new black.

You get it. Restoration has always been the devil. Restored arcade vintage arcade machines are literally worthless to me IMO. Look at the old nintendo cabs on ebay, Donkey kong is an easy one to think of. You will find that 99% are completely repainted with repro stickers. They're just trash, and the irony is when you see a nice original unrestored one it goes for only a couple hundred. Mechanical restoration, fine. Cosmetic, no f'ing way. Not on anything ever.

Something can be restored thousands of times, but can only be original once. Never forget.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You get it. Restoration has always been the devil. Restored arcade vintage arcade machines are literally worthless to me IMO. Look at the old nintendo cabs on ebay, Donkey kong is an easy one to think of. You will find that 99% are completely repainted with repro stickers. They're just trash, and the irony is when you see a nice original unrestored one it goes for only a couple hundred. Mechanical restoration, fine. Cosmetic, no f'ing way. Not on anything ever.

Something can be restored thousands of times, but can only be original once. Never forget.

This is a very interesting view and though I may be more liberally adjusted than you, ResO, that doesn't interfere with my admiration of your highly nonconformist mindset on this issue.

You remind me of Shito and his decision (or should I say way of life?) to never ever change parts of an acquired game with another one, that would've had those particular parts in a better condition. He even refused to switch cases, if one was broken -- he bought a new whole instead.

I'm far from agreeing with his way of handling those things, but I also consider his collection to be the most spiritual one I ever encountered during my lifetime. Go figure.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This is a very interesting view and though I may be more liberally adjusted than you, ResO, that doesn't interfere with my admiration of your highly nonconformist mindset on this issue.

You remind me of Shito and his decision (or should I say way of life?) to never ever change parts of an acquired game with another one, that would've had those particular parts in a better condition. He even refused to switch cases, if one was broken -- he bought a new whole instead.

I'm far from agreeing with his way of handling those things, but I also consider his collection to be the most spiritual one I ever encountered during my lifetime. Go figure.

I have as well never changed cases out. I like the battle damage on some games. Makes it feel like a rescue to me ;)