Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, I think Bruce chose making money over making interesting artistic choices after about the 5th bomb in a row. Didn't want to go back to being a bartender.
To be fair his idea of artistic choices were pretty questionable. If you know anything about his Bruno persona and music career it's pretty evident that he was a real piece of work.

I think his role in Death Becomes Her is the kind of role that played to his strengths without allowing him to totally embarrass himself like Hudson Hawk etc. There's always a way to find a balance but like you said he wanted those big fat checks..

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Death Becomes Her- Kind of a guilty pleasure but I honestly think it's a pretty well made and clever movie. Great cast, I wish Bruce Willis had done more oddball roles like this. Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep have great chemistry together and Isabella Rossellini is perfect as the evil enchantress selling immortality. It's very well shot, it's quite stylish without going overboard. There's a lot more effects than I remembered and while some of them haven't aged all that well they're still effective and entertaining. It's a shame that Robert Zebecks stopped making anything interesting or fun after the mid 90s., he was on quite a roll there for about a decade.
Yeah, I saw this for the first time recently. Not bad at all.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bones Brigade: An Autobiography- Solid documentary about the pioneering skateboard team directed by Stacy Peralta. If you don't know anything about skateboarding this is the team that Tony Hawk was on in the 80s along with a ton of other exceptional skaters. It covers the formation of the team, the rise and fall of competition skating, the change from vert to street and the importance of skate videos. Excellent interviews, great old footage and lots insight into the the world/culture of skating during it's most formative years. Recommended.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
jro!Oh no, jro
Fuck!

@everbody else: double slash triple fuck!

Fuck [edit I guess] Jesus Christ on a cross Google switched a word out here and I have no idea what it was and I think it's better that way, that actually makes sense. This is why I don't get paid to review movies.

I still love each and every one of you though so there's that. Except for a few of you. You know who you are.

Do not trust my tastes unless it's to promise you that the next Fast movie experience will be like tickling Vin Diesel's earlobes.

Edit again fuck me sideways I guess but just not in the ears cuz that is super weird. I actually went to high school with a cute girl with big ears who was a really good friend of mine and she one time told me hey XXX GUY told me he wants to cum in my ear. I was like, well yeah, so do I but I'm also dating your best friend.

And then we watched a meteor shower together.

The last part of that is so much more true than than it should be.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Big Trouble in Little China- Always a fun time. I realized with this watching just how well paced it is, the movie just zooms by before you know it. I also picked up on W.D. Richter's (the director of Buckaroo Banzai) touch, this has never quite felt like a typical John Carpenter movie and the intentionally cliched zaniness and jumbled asian mysticism is very reminiscent of Banzai. There's just so much to love in this crazy adventure but it's easy to see how it flopped on it's initial release. The whole thing is one big clever goof and I don't think people were ready for that. I mean The Golden Child came out the same year and was a success ffs. I finally broke down and bought the Scream Factory blu-ray and am looking forward to digging into it's extensive special features.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I had a dream the other night that I was watching a movie called N3nja and I was upset by the use of the numeral in the title.

Also, planning on watching this real soon...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Big Trouble in Little China- Always a fun time. I realized with this watching just how well paced it is, the movie just zooms by before you know it. I also picked up on W.D. Richter's (the director of Buckaroo Banzai) touch, this has never quite felt like a typical John Carpenter movie and the intentionally cliched zaniness and jumbled asian mysticism is very reminiscent of Banzai. There's just so much to love in this crazy adventure but it's easy to see how it flopped on it's initial release. The whole thing is one big clever goof and I don't think people were ready for that. I mean The Golden Child came out the same year and was a success ffs. I finally broke down and bought the Scream Factory blu-ray and am looking forward to digging into it's extensive special features.
It's funny watching the special features with interviews from the time, including one interviewer before the release asking Kurt Russel what it's like to star in the biggest movie of the summer.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
L.A Wars - blu ray - The Vince Murdocco (who?) classic. Mildly entertaining 90s B-Movie actioner curio starring nobody you will ever have heard of. It's biggest problem is it doesn't know whether it wants to be a made-for-TV movie, or a direct-to-video job. Possibly the violence would have been more graphic with a bigger budget... I mean, a guy gets sprayed with a MAC-10, and they show one bullet wound, lol. The martial arts scenes are pretty lame, with the exception of one fight right at the end of the movie.
The acting is pretty good for what it is, with Murdocco actually being the worst actor - he's pretty wooden. Worth checking out if you're into B-movie action films.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Mist (re-watch, I unnow, 4 or so?) - couple things:

- yeah, The Walking Dead, worked out fine obvs, but really, like, fuck Frank Darabont? Yeah dude did not need that show to do good stuff.

-Marcia Gay Harden is the secret sauce in this. I like Jane, Holden, Sadler, et al just fine but man is she good.

-I had not noticed before the foreshadowing on Ollie being a crack shot. He gets the gun early on, then manages to hit several low-pecentage shots on bad dudes, then, well, yeah. It works very well on re-watches.

-the pacing is meticulous. The movie is over 2 hours long, has only three (four maybe?) main setpieces, and just never feels slow.

-The Walking Dead-influenced casting never gets annoying! Even Laurie Holden doesn't wear out her welcome like she managed to do on one season of TWD.

-and, yeah, the ending. Darabont going well no Stephen King didn't get it dark enough here's like the fucking worst. But it works.

Has aged incredibly well. Also Andre Braugher rules.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Plantasm- So apparently this came out last year? I was a fan of ATHF back in the Adult Swim heyday but got pretty burnt out and felt the show got a little too self aware or to into itself or something. I am not in my mid 20s anymore and even though I enjoyed seeing the gang get into some shenanigans again this just felt flat and labored. A few laughs to be had but honestly it was a chore to sit through. I can still go back and watch some of the classic episodes every now and then with enjoyment but this is almost completely lacking in that kind of charm.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Sisu - Another in the long line of recent "you fucked with the wrong guy" movies. A mute old Finnish guy strikes gold out in the wilderness in 1944. On his way back to sell it, he runs in to a Nazi company returning home from the war. They try to kill him for his gold. Turns out he's an unkillable retired war vet that used to kill Russian platoons on the regular. Needless to say, a lot of Nazis get killed in gruesome and ridiculous ways.

The movie is fun and the Nazis are both believable and hateable but the movie gets kind of ridiculous in the last act. This old fuck tanks Jason Voorhees level damage and continually gets back up to murder more Nazis. The point of the movie is that he's more myth than man (random hostages and Nazi generals all seem to know his legend and there's a great scene where Russian soldiers recognize him and give up and run away) and John Wick isn't exactly realistic either but the last couple of scenes are almost comical.

Still, it's a fun 90 minute watch on a lazy evening for people who enjoy brutally violent action movies.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The World's End- This is the worst of the trilogy but SOTD and Hot Fuzz are both so good that it's hard to top them. I think on paper the idea of a nostalgic boys night out romp back the the old hometown meets secret alien invasion works. It works the same way as big city cop in s small village discovers that everything is run by an evil cult does. The only problem is that the alien invasion aspect is handled poorly. If it had been handled as more of a direct parody of say Invasion of the Body Snatchers or other classic sci-fi stuff it would have been a lot more clever. Instead they used it as an excuse for a bunch of quite frankly bizarre action scenes. An army of dull robots to mostly be used as action fodder isn't very interesting. Some action is fine but this is just too ridiculous.

Overall too many things just don't make any sense from the start or don't mesh well as basic plot points. The ending is also not very satisfying which just kind of puts a damper on the whole thing.

The cast is great, it's well made, looks good and is funny but it just never quite rises to the standards of SOTD or Hot Fuzz.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
3000 years of longing
Finally got around to watching this movie, it didn’t disappoint. It’s no masterpiece, but it was definitely solid. As expected, the visuals were superb. Honestly, my only complaint was that it was slow in a few places.

A Man Called Otto
My wife wanted to watch this one. It’s was a bit formulaic, but it was solid as well. About the only seriously annoying part was the oddly CG cat…which stuck out like a sore thumb.

100proof

10 Year Member
The World's End- This is the worst of the trilogy but SOTD and Hot Fuzz are both so good that it's hard to top them. I think on paper the idea of a nostalgic boys night out romp back the the old hometown meets secret alien invasion works. It works the same way as big city cop in s small village discovers that everything is run by an evil cult does. The only problem is that the alien invasion aspect is handled poorly. If it had been handled as more of a direct parody of say Invasion of the Body Snatchers or other classic sic-fi stuff it would have been a lot more clever. Instead they used it as an excuse for a bunch of quite frankly bizarre action scenes. An army of dull robots to mostly be used as action fodder isn't very interesting. Some action is fine but this is just too ridiculous.

Overall too many things just don't make any sense from the start or don't mesh well as plot basic points. The ending is also not very satisfying which just kind of puts a damper on the whole thing.

The cast is great, it's well made, looks good and is funny but it just never quite rises to the standards of SOTD or Hot Fuzz.

While I don't necessarily disagree with anything you wrote (it's certainly the worst of the three Cornetto movies and the action-y parts are repetitive and not particularly interesting), World's End is an incredibly clever and multi-leveled treatise on addiction and control. The "army of dull robots" is a very specific allegorical choice as is the movie ending the way it does (Gary choosing to not re-live his youth in a robot body after spending the entire movie wanting to re-live the greatest night of his youth). There's also a lot of addiction/recovery metaphors (12 pubs/12 steps, the order in which things happen, the intervention language used throughout). Your mileage will vary of course on how well that all works but I do think it's a worthy addition to the Cornetto movies, even it's the least of the three.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
While I don't necessarily disagree with anything you wrote (it's certainly the worst of the three Cornetto movies and the action-y parts are repetitive and not particularly interesting), World's End is an incredibly clever and multi-leveled treatise on addiction and control. The "army of dull robots" is a very specific allegorical choice as is the movie ending the way it does (Gary choosing to not re-live his youth in a robot body after spending the entire movie wanting to re-live the greatest night of his youth). There's also a lot of addiction/recovery metaphors (12 pubs/12 steps, the order in which things happen, the intervention language used throughout). Your mileage will vary of course on how well that all works but I do think it's a worthy addition to the Cornetto movies, even it's the least of the three.
Yeah I get all the addiction and personal choice subtext but it feels more than a bit clunky when laid on top of the sci-fi action elements. The army of robots is a solid metaphor but it's overshadowed by the awkward fighting. The ending should have been where Gary and by extension humanity rejects the aliens but the post apocalypse stuff feels kind of tacked on and unnecessary.

Like I said I think on paper it all works but the end product just isn't as well executed as it could have been.

It is still a smart, fun and original movie and definitely a good addition to the trilogy.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Looks like The Flash movie is getting mediocre reviews and will bomb at the box office. Even Michael Keaton couldn't save it.

Maybe doing Flashpoint again was a stupid idea. They already did a 23 episode live action TV season based on it and they used an animated Flashpoint movie to launch a 16-film animated connected universe. And for the new movie they took out some of the most fun stuff from Flashpoint, like Wonder Woman leading the Amazons in a global war against Aquaman and the Atlanteans.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Looks like The Flash movie is getting mediocre reviews and will bomb at the box office. Even Michael Keaton couldn't save it.

Maybe doing Flashpoint again was a stupid idea. They already did a 23 episode live action TV season based on it and they used an animated Flashpoint movie to launch a 16-film animated connected universe. And for the new movie they took out some of the most fun stuff from Flashpoint, like Wonder Woman leading the Amazons in a global war against Aquaman and the Atlanteans.

Definitely waiting for the torrent.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It was written by the talentless hack who wrote Birds of Prey and Bumblebee. So there was never any chance of it being good. Maybe now the studio will finally realize she can't deliver a competent screenplay and not give her the new Batman movie as rumored.

100proof

10 Year Member
Woof. That explains a lot. It generally takes several high profile failures before a writer gets thrown out on their ass (or at least relegated to smaller projects/TV).

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I saw a spoiler for one of the cameos in The Flash and it's pretty annoying
Spoiler:
How the fuck do you cast Teddy Sears as Jay Garrick instead of John Wesley Shipp?
johnshipp-trio.jpg

It would be such an easy win to put Shipp's Flash on screen with Keaton's Batman and they fumbled it.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I saw a spoiler for one of the cameos in The Flash and it's pretty annoying
Spoiler:
How the fuck do you cast Teddy Sears as Jay Garrick instead of John Wesley Shipp?
johnshipp-trio.jpg

It would be such an easy win to put Shipp's Flash on screen with Keaton's Batman and they fumbled it.
flash is gay. even for comic book heroes, dc ones are gayer than normal except a handful of good ones. no more comic book movies for me anymore. the only one i'll make an exception for is "across the spider-verse", only because the first one was good.