Elden Ring official discussion

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Done.

Godfrey (real) was kinda challenging. I died to him probably 4 times? I wasn't even using Tiche, I was using my Mimic with Rivers of Blood and took him down. Marika was way too easy, about 3/4 of the way through the fight I thought - yeah there's gonna be a 2nd form. Sure enough, Pete's Dragon showed up, killed me pretty quick.

Next few times fighting Marika he killed me a few times before getting to the dragon, but the 2nd time I got to the dragon, my Mimic died about 1/4 of the way through the dragon's health bar. Figured I was done for, but I took it down.

I guess I got the Ranni ending? I called her, she was the only summon spot there, and I didnt think it was going to be the actual ending otherwise I would have seen what that cracked Marika does.

Havent started NG+ yet because I want to go through and get stuff I missed. Can I still go back there to the cracked Marika and see what it does or is that over?

Edit: I tried fighting the Dragon Lord with Tiche. WTF is wrong with that summon? Its super strong but randomly forgets that it can do anything but flit around the room. ATTACK, FUCKER.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Oof anyone have any tips on taking down the dragon lord in Farum Azula? I can get him down to about 1/2 health and then die.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Lock on to him before his disappearing act. When he reappears you’ll be re-locked on to him.

Mimic + Comet Azur lol.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The disappearing thing is easy to avoid, as is the divebomb attack. it's the CONSTANT lightning and dragon fire that's getting me.

If I'm up close (even concentrating on his tail behind him), tons of fire, or where he stabs the ground so I have to haul ass away.

If I'm ranged -with talismans to speed up spells, etc, lightning after lightning over and over.

Also, +9 lusat staff And comet azure damages, but not nearly enough. And one go-round eats an entire FP bar. Blows.

Mimic seems to forget he can use azure as well, and Tiche will almost never use the red fire attack and opts to attack with his shitty knife.

This is the first boss I've contemplated on getting a co-op.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m not sure how I beat him. If I use mimic with the intent to cast spells I’ll usually only equip 1 or 2 (the one I want mimic to cast.)

I know I had 50 vigor. I might have used the moon blade katanas ability which at 60-70 int did a lot of damage for me.

If I hit the dragon with a spell it was definitely rock sling..

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Christ the Gargoyles fight sucks balls.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Okay WTF am I doing wrong here besides apparently everything? Gargoyles are kicking my ass severely every time I try them, they're supposed to be optional but all the other routes get me killed even faster (level, I dunno, 68 or so with Moonveil +6).

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I used jumping heavy attacks with a cold claymore and mimic tear summon to kill the gargoyles. I think there's a way to cheese one to dive off the cliff to the side where you enter the arena. Barring that, my advice is focus down the first one as quickly as possible, don't lock on, and run away when one of them pulls out the twinblade of spamming death. And stay out of their poison puke.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Christ the Gargoyles fight sucks balls.
I found these guys really hard too. Skipped them and did the Magma Warm instead, then came back and did them late game. I think that's the easier way to get up to Altus Plateau

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I found these guys really hard too. Skipped them and did the Magma Warm instead, then came back and did them late game. I think that's the easier way to get up to Altus Plateau
I found the magma wyrm and never encountered the gargoyles as far as I recall
Oof anyone have any tips on taking down the dragon lord in Farum Azula? I can get him down to about 1/2 health and then die.
If you're talking placidusax, he's totally optional.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I had actually already done most of Altus a while ago. I finally beat the Gargoyles just now, ran around the map a bit first to upgrade my MV Katana to +9 and that helped, also spammed the jump R2 as much as possible to keep dps on and my Mimic's HP decent to start the second phase. After Mimic finally bought it I used the central rock thing as cover for the worst of the spin to win combos and won with maybe 30% health left and zero flasks.

Obviously felt great to finally get the win on that guy, but yeesh, reminds me unfavorably of the gank bosses in DS 2 where it was more glad I never have to do that again than anything else.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Unpopular opinion. Elden Ring's end game is fucking awful. Balance is pretty much gone due to I'd assume the open world. Last few bosses stun then two-shot me at level 130. Worst game in the proper From catalog. Irritating. There's just zero balance here.

Beat it and got the Ranni ending. Just not replayable like the others.

edit 1... my opinion on the difficulty- From couldn't guarantee a linear progression like they could before, so instead they ended up making most of the game super fucking easy and then compensating by making a few bosses into hard skill checks. That's bad design that can just break the player's progress. Dunno what they were thinking there but it blows.

edit 2... just WTF on the difficulty? I've finished every other game in the From library multiple times, plenty of other knock offs, then the end game in this... sheesh. Cheap, bad design, unearned level of difficulty for the final few bosses. Assuming that Team Ninja isn't saddled with a sequel to the fucking trainwreck that is Stranger of Paradise, Nioh 3 is in prime position to overtake From in the genre they created.

Summary... Elden Ring is overrated. I don't think I regret spending 100-plus hours on it, but's it's... not that good,

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah I think I was significantly higher in level than 130 when I beat the game. Maybe over 170 or closer to 200 but I didn’t skip any content.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Elden Beast's HP bar is just so crazy large. The fight reminded me, unfavorably, of Orphan in Bloodborne, with the whole two-stage setup where the first one's a DPS monster and the second one is just kind of a slog.

Anyway, I could be a little more thoughtful in my assessment of the game than I was yesterday. It has some odd difficulty balance in places, with much of the game being pretty easy compared to the other From games, partly due to access to upgrades earlier and partly due to Spirit Ashes, but then when From tamps down a bit and takes the training wheels off it's a bit jarring.

Game was maybe a little too big, IMO. I generally like the tighter focus of Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne better.

Of all From's other games, ER reminds me the most, and I think this has been mentioned in this thread before, of Dark Souls 2. Areas feel sort of disjointed at times and the preference of quantity over quality in the bosses, in particular. And of course Consecrated Snowfield/Frigid Outskirts, luckily there's no horse gangbangs in ER, but the similarities between the two are impossible to miss (I still contend that the Lud/Zallen boss fight is good enough to make the trip there worth the effort).

Cool lore, though it feels like it's even more buried in ER than any of From's other games. Similarly, character quests felt easier to miss but more logical than usual in their actual progression, i.e. Ranni's has a bunch of steps but at least they make sense, unlike, say, the wedding ending in DS3.

It's obviously a good game and is going to be GOTY for many, but for me personally, the only From game I'd rank it ahead of is Sekiro.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Let me preface this with "I am not 'gud' at From games." But I only had to fight the Elden Beast like twice :/ It went down pretty easy, I think I was level 150 or so.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member

Beat Malenia in under 2 minutes (with mimic summon)
bleed stunned her a bunch with my current build, she didn't even get to pull off any waterfowls

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Did you use the Swarm spell as well? That eats her up pretty great too.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Very nice! You wrecked her.

There is an item you can throw at Malenia that disrupts her crazy attack. It's great.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I finally started up a NG+ run. Figure I'll play it a bit more laid-back than before, try to see all corners of the world and not be so laser-focused on finishing the game.

Build-related question- right now I'm using MV Katana +10 and a parry shield and then switching to 2-hand as much as possible, Dex and Int are my two main stats. I want to switch over to or at least have the option to power stance with two nice weapons this time, and somehow I managed to miss all three of the Nagakiba, Uchitagana, and Rivers of Blood in my first playthrough. So I'm planning to basically beeline for one of them. From what I've read, it seems that the general thought for MV pairing is either of Naga or Uchi but not RoB due to how they scale.

Recommendations?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I finally started up a NG+ run. Figure I'll play it a bit more laid-back than before, try to see all corners of the world and not be so laser-focused on finishing the game.

Build-related question- right now I'm using MV Katana +10 and a parry shield and then switching to 2-hand as much as possible, Dex and Int are my two main stats. I want to switch over to or at least have the option to power stance with two nice weapons this time, and somehow I managed to miss all three of the Nagakiba, Uchitagana, and Rivers of Blood in my first playthrough. So I'm planning to basically beeline for one of them. From what I've read, it seems that the general thought for MV pairing is either of Naga or Uchi but not RoB due to how they scale.

Recommendations?
Yeah, ROB is for a dex/arcane build. You could always power stance two MV. Or look into scythes- they're highly overlooked.

My favorite thing about this game is the insane amount of damage you can do with bleed/dex builds.