Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I could be wrong but I think they're a private company that is paid to spy on Americans for the government.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wtf is Booze Allan.
All I know is what I googled: "As a consulting firm with expertise in analytics, digital, engineering, and cyber, we help businesses, government, and military organizations transform."

Soooo basically a faceless organization lol. Seton is a chain of hospitals.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It may be 4?

There's the master down stairs, a full bath down stairs, and yeah two more upstairs. 🤯

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
A private bathroom is only for the master of the house.

How else would he keep the peons in line?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
First time watching these:

Breakfast at Tiffany's - everyone knows about Mickey Rooney's yellowface. But something that shocked me was Holly Golightly being married at 13 years old. To a guy three times her age. And no one is shocked at all. And now I'm wondering just how common this was in America in the 1950s for no one to blink at it. But anyway, good movie. Glad I finally saw it.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - feels like it was trying to be a little bit of Forrest Gump and Big Fish. Ended up falling far short of either. LMBO at the Hurricane Katrina ending that came out of nowhere.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Green Knight- While it only contains maybe 40% at most of the original legend in it's various variations I think that was a good choice. It's absolutely stunning looking, well cast and overall just mesmerizing. Something I will no doubt pick up in 4k in the future just to have on in the background while drawing or painting. Really surprised that it got a wide theatrical release, it's definitely not for the masses.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The Death of Stalin
Political satire about the jockeying for power that starts almost immediately after his death, wickedly funny with some inspired casting, Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev and the "Brilliant, fantastic!" guy from The Fast Show as the minister of Agriculture for example. Best movie I've seen in a while

4/5

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
As it's the season for it, I watched Boris Karloff's The Mummy (1932). The original Universal monster movies are incredibly charming even if they don't hold up particularly well. The language of cinema at that point hadn't evolved much past the point of being filmed theater performances with the occasional establishing shot and the acting isn't the least bit subtle but the makeup work on Karloff is great and there are some shots that are really innovative for their time. I don't know... they are corny 90 years later but they're fun if you're willing to meet them halfway.

Also saw Halloween Kills in the theater. A few really good kills but the rest is middling to silly awful. I guess I shouldn't be surprised... there are more terrible Halloween movies than there are good ones. They carried over everyone from the 2018 rebootquel and it seemed like they had figured out the character and had a wrap-up to the Laurie Strode/Michael Myers story in mind but so much of Kills is just hilariously bad dialogue and cameos from characters no one gives a shit about. I wouldn't say it's as bad as the dregs of the franchise (6, Resurrection, Zombieween 2) but that's an incredibly low bar.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Got this new for a buck. Thought it was pretty good, I’ll probably watch it again with a friend.

I thought the Cannon film designs and production were the best part, it’s a shame that A some of their concepts couldn’t be realized since it was the 80s and B Cannon films who I love had the usual budget constraints that made everything schlocky

it really was created solely to sell toys.

Also Frank Lagella looks great for being 80 when this was made.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Nothing But Trouble
-its as batshit crazy as I remember it being but now in cleaned up HD

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Nightmares- 4 part horror anthology from the early 80s. It's no Creepshow but it's pretty good. I had seen the part with Emilio Esteves and the arcade before but didn't remember anything else. Great casting, tons of recognizable people and some interesting soundtrack music (Fear, Black Flag) but the last part with the rat really disappointed at the end. I guess they ran out of $ because they should have used a giant rat puppet instead of just horribly super imposing what I assume was stock footage that they didn't even bother to color correct lol.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Clockwatchers: Precursor to Office Space. But all ladies. Pretty good, but more about temping than typical office bullshit.

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown: Late '80s movie that feels very '90s in terms of its situational comedy. It's good but my favorite part was the main character's apartment decor.

Night of the Living Dead: First time seeing this. Pretty good building of tension and getting you to hate the white guy. Not very scary, though.

The OG Mummy: Typical light-on-the-story-and-explanations '30s stuff. Decent special effects makeup, though. Hoping the other Universal stuff on my schedule is a bit better.

It Chapter 2: The movie theater was doing a $5 surprise horror movie. It was It Chapter 2 which I saw when it came out. It sucked then. Sucks now. I liked to Pomeranian, though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Night Stalker- The first of 2 Kolchak made for TV movies that were predecessors to the short lived TV series. It's a great introduction to the character and has all the charm of the better TV movies form the mid 70s with lots of recognizable actors and some good on location shots in old Las Vegas.

Kolchak is often cited a big inspiration for The X-Files but has more in common with Columbo which makes sense considering the time period. Though it certainly has the whole the bizarre crimes committed by supernatural forces that the authorities refuse to accept despite the evidence angle, which is the basis of early X-Files.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Night Stalker- The first of 2 Kolchak made for TV movies that were predecessors to the short lived TV series. It's a great introduction to the character and has all the charm of the better TV movies form the mid 70s with lots of recognizable actors and some good on location shots in old Las Vegas.

Kolchak is often cited a big inspiration for The X-Files but has more in common with Columbo which makes sense considering the time period. Though it certainly has the whole the bizarre crimes committed by supernatural forces that the authorities refuse to accept despite the evidence angle, which is the basis of early X-Files.
You ever watch Banacek?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Took my daughter to watch Halloween Kills today and I have to say I thought it was pretty great, liked it more than the first part, that much more exhilerating and silly. I wasn't expecting much. The social commentary was very clumsy but it wasn't bad enough to ruin the overall experience

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Got home with a belly full of meat and watched Trick r Treat followed by Psycho Goreman. I've probably talked about Trick r Treat on here multiple times but it bears repeating: it should be everyone's Halloween tradition.

Psycho Goreman is manic and weird and I enjoyed it for the most part. People of a certain age bracket seem to compare it to Power Rangers and I can see why (the rubber monsters have a very kaiju/sentai look to them) but for me, it's more like if someone let Gwar make an Amblin movie complete with their trademark ultraviolence, rubber monsters and odd sense of humor. A lot of people apparently don't like the little girl but I think she's supposed to be kind of loathsome. The movie's clearly a parody of the "kids find an alien" genre where both the alien and the family are awful. Granted, there are definitely times when the girl and the father lean a little too hard in to it and the recurring song kind of sucks but it's destined for cult status. It's too shamelessly violent and goofy not to be.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Trick r Treat is usually a yearly go to along with The Guest but today I ended up watching Idle Hands and 8 Legged Freaks. Both guilty pleasures especially 8LF.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Wanted to watch Psycho Goreman when it was a movie rental but couldn’t pull the trigger on what looked like a “young adult” section movie. If it’s free, I will watch it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I thought Dune was great. Well worth a trip to the movie theater to see. @famicommander was right all along!

No Time to Die started off very well but kind of fell apart towards the end. The villain was lame and all the build up of the previous Daniel Craig Bonds was wasted. Recommend passing on this one.