Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Highlander - despite being born in the late 80s this is the first time I've watched the movie. And after the Mortal Kombat nostalgia I decided to check it out because of Lambert. Wow, what a bummer I never got to see this when I was a kid. This movie kicks ass. Lambert's accent is a weird thing but it works and sets it apart. The soundtrack is the real winner of the movie as it makes it seem more 'epic'. Cool to see Scotland as well. And I know it's because I was a few liters in and also cuz I'm a faggot, but the scene where his wife grows old while he doesn't age and she's all 'why did you stay with me' and he's all 'because i love you' got me. "In the years to come, will you light a candle on my birthday" bro

The part of the movie that really kicked things up a notch (skip to 1:08):
Spoiler:
FYI.. there are no other highlander movies.

NONE. THAT'S THE ONLY ONE.

Show's not bad but there is only one movie.

ONE.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Highlander - despite being born in the late 80s this is the first time I've watched the movie. And after the Mortal Kombat nostalgia I decided to check it out because of Lambert. Wow, what a bummer I never got to see this when I was a kid. This movie kicks ass. Lambert's accent is a weird thing but it works and sets it apart. The soundtrack is the real winner of the movie as it makes it seem more 'epic'. Cool to see Scotland as well. And I know it's because I was a few liters in and also cuz I'm a faggot, but the scene where his wife grows old while he doesn't age and she's all 'why did you stay with me' and he's all 'because i love you' got me. "In the years to come, will you light a candle on my birthday" bro

The part of the movie that really kicked things up a notch (skip to 1:08):
Spoiler:

The tv show was really cool back in the 90s. Really, no lie, gave me some life goals: that boat house was great, along with owning a dope katana and having sex. I’ve come a long way since then, and have never owned a katana or a boat house.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
FYI.. there are no other highlander movies.

NONE. THAT'S THE ONLY ONE.

Show's not bad but there is only one movie.

ONE.

You had a chance to say 'there can be only one movie' and ya blew it. Ya blew it

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The special edition version of Highlander 2 is worth a watch. It's still pretty terrible but quite entertaining for what it is.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Went over to a friends house today and he gave a nice copy of Highlander directors cut on laserdisc.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I didn't ask for it. He just said he was getting rid of a bunch of stuff so I grabbed it, Guyver and Dark Crystal. I thought it was weird because I was literally reading this thread before I went over.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Dredd(2012) - Finally got around to watching this. I always wanted to but kept forgetting about it. Great pacing (no time for BS), decent plot. Urban as Dredd was kind of funny, in a sick way. I liked how he never took off his helmet, it's like he wasn't even human. His psychic sidekick was a nice touch; it was like Kitty Pryde and Wolverine. Loved the amount of violence. The only complaint I have is the overuse of slow-mo, that got tired after the 10th time they did it. I guess the movie came out in 3D, so they were really trying to show off the pretty colors and shit flying all over the screen. I would give the film a solid 8/10, judging it as a superhero movie. You can watch it free on HULU, for those interested in checking it out.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Dredd(2012) - Finally got around to watching this. I always wanted to but kept forgetting about it. Great pacing (no time for BS), decent plot. Urban as Dredd was kind of funny, in a sick way. I liked how he never took off his helmet, it's like he wasn't even human. His psychic sidekick was a nice touch; it was like Kitty Pryde and Wolverine. Loved the amount of violence. The only complaint I have is the overuse of slow-mo, that got tired after the 10th time they did it. I guess the movie came out in 3D, so they were really trying to show off the pretty colors and shit flying all over the screen. I would give the film a solid 8/10, judging it as a superhero movie. You can watch it free on HULU, for those interested in checking it out.

Judge Anderson was a major character early on in the comics. And Dredd didn’t take off his helmet in the comics (at least not in the original run that I collected). Stallone Dredd did because of bad direction and a studio that didn’t care about the IP.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Willys Wonderland....

Nicholas Cage doesn't speak ONCE but it's prob the only thing I'd watch again...

xROTx

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

I saw Dredd in 3D in the theater, it was the best 3D movie experience I've had. I thought it would be gimmicky but it was fucking awesome. It wasn't the in your face type of shit that they usually used 3D for and it was gorgeous. There was a scene when a bunch of broken glass was in the air and it was literally floating over the entire audience, very clever use and almost dreamlike at times. Bullet shells, blood splatter, smoke from the Slo-mo drug and the water when Mama was in the bathtub all excellent.

Pretty sure it was in Stallones contract to take the helmet off or he wouldn't do the movie.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Zack Snyder's Justice League is somehow not a disaster. Several orders of magnitude better than the 2017 theatrical cut in that it's actually a coherent film this time around. It's too long and there are still some issues, but this is probably the best thing Zack Snyder has ever released (not that I was ever a fan of his to begin with).

Why they cut that Wonder Woman action sequence out of the beginning of the theatrical cut I will never understand. Wonder Woman is cooler and more effective in just those 3 minutes than she was in the entirety of the WW 1984 film.

If DC would have just released Batman vs Superman Ultimate and Zack Snyder's Justice League instead of Batman vs Superman Theatrical and Joss Whedon's Justice League the entire trajectory of their film universe could have been altered forever. Because Batman vs Superman Theatrical and Joss Whedon's Justice League are two of the shittiest comic book films ever made, while the Snyder versions are actually watchable.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I watched the Criterion Blu-ray of Don't Look Now a few times. So good, but so many questions. And not many of them are answered in the special features.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Recently saw these:

VFW: Guilty pleasure. Like an 80's "ultraviolet" style movie.

GEORGETOWN: Good story. Christoph Waltz doesn't dissapoint. Recommended.

SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE: Cool, great design, good movie. Almosy liked it more than the human acted Spider-Man movies.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Snyder's Justice League

4 hours long holy crap. I did enjoy it but watched it over two days.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Zack Snyder's Justice League is somehow not a disaster. Several orders of magnitude better than the 2017 theatrical cut in that it's actually a coherent film this time around. It's too long and there are still some issues, but this is probably the best thing Zack Snyder has ever released (not that I was ever a fan of his to begin with).

Why they cut that Wonder Woman action sequence out of the beginning of the theatrical cut I will never understand. Wonder Woman is cooler and more effective in just those 3 minutes than she was in the entirety of the WW 1984 film.

If DC would have just released Batman vs Superman Ultimate and Zack Snyder's Justice League instead of Batman vs Superman Theatrical and Joss Whedon's Justice League the entire trajectory of their film universe could have been altered forever. Because Batman vs Superman Theatrical and Joss Whedon's Justice League are two of the shittiest comic book films ever made, while the Snyder versions are actually watchable.
I would go one step further and say that if WB had not overreacted to Man of Steel slightly underperforming at the box office and had not panicked with the desperation move of forcing Snyder to use Batman in the sequel, we could have gotten a decent Superman trilogy that actually finished setting up the character and his world/supporting cast.

People don't remember this now, but Batman Begins also somewhat underperformed. What if WB had overreacted then, interfered, micromanaged, and forced Nolan to include Superman in The Dark Knight? Well, I'm sure it still would have been a lot better than Batman v Superman, but it would have been much worse than the Dark Knight we did get and which everyone loves.

I'm not a Snyder fan, but he's been a solid money maker for WB and they would have been infinitely better off letting him make the movies they hired him to make.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Hercules (2014)

Saw a preview for this on one of my TMNT DVDs, and it looked good to me, plus I love the Rock and Greek mythology, so, I ordered a copy. I was disappointed that the mythical monsters were mostly limited to the opening montage about the labors of Hercules--this is really more of a Greek war movie than a mythology one, and that's not a terrible premise, but, not quite what I was looking for or expecting either. They cockteased a centaur army too, which would have been cool, but, that didn't happen. I kind of liked the idea that Hercules might not really be the son of Zeus and his feats are more a product of team effort with his companions than being a demigod. Overall, I thought it was an okay action flick, which Dwayne Johnson usually does pretty well, but, I really wanted to see a heavy emphasis on combat with CG Greek monsters: 7/10.

I bought a two pack of the modern Clash of the Titans films too; I suspect those are probably more what I want than this was.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

It looks like there’s a conflict of opinions at WB on what they want. 1984 was too light hearted and played like a typical Marvel piece of shit. Whedon’s JL was also too Marvel.
Once people stop watching those shitass Marvel movies, maybe we’ll get something decent. Avengers were never decent. Almost as shit as Fantastic 4. But stupid people are in abundance and all those idiots love shit ass marvel movies.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Tried watching the Snyder Cut twice and it crashed both times so I watched Shivers, Scanners and Rabid in roughly the same amount of time instead. I'm sure it was a far better use of my time.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Came in the mail today, no idea when I'll have the time to watch any of them.

IMG_20210326_155520917_BURST000_COVER_TOP_50.jpg