Cuphead PC / Xbox

Setsuna1982

World Her,
I bought it in PC and... I'm kind of underwhelmed as I suspected... The game looks GORGEOUS. But the gameplay... I'm used to contra, metal slug, alien soldier... there's something off here, specially the dash. It's too short or something. Plus no invencibility by default (thank god for the smoke bomb). I'll have to play it more but I'm kind of let down :/

JRedmond3

NEST Puppet
As much as I try to get hyped with this game... I can't. The art design is SUPERB and I appreciate all the INSANE work behind each sprite. But the platform stages are really dull and the boss fights WAY too long and repetitive. I've grown up during the 90's with great action shooters from Konami (Contra, Sunset Riders), Capcom (Mercs, Midnight Wanderers), Treasure (Gunstar, Alien Solider), SNK (Metal Slug)... And this game doesn't hit the same notes. Specially the boss fights, they are more an endurance test than skill.

I'm not saying that there's no skill involved, of course they are challenging but they drag SO MUCH and have so little variety that they actually become boring... I feel I'm not alone in that regard. I'll end up buying it because it's a genre I love but I'm kind of dissapointed, even before playing.

I kinda had the same fear leading up to the game, thankfully it's different when you're actually playing. For starters, the early bosses serve as more of a warm up and once you get used to things ( parrying, boost, etc ) they start to ramp up and get more interesting. Also once you get the charge shot you can drop most bosses in under 2-3 minutes.

As for the platforming stages, there are only 4-5 of em so even if you don't like em they're not a big deal, they serve a decent purpose in breaking up the boss fights and adding some variety.

Cuphead stacks up with the classics you mentioned. I get bored with most games that come out these days but Cuphead feels like a breath of fresh air.

I really hope this sells like crazy- the amount of hard work and effort put into it seems like it must have been reeeally high. Dudes deserve to make some good money on it.

All signs, reviews/buzz/etc, point to Cuphead being a success. I'd be more surprised at this point if there isn't a direct sequel or spiritual sequel of some sort.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I picked it up finally. My thoughts are that as a game it is better than I had expected. It looks and sounds great.

My biggest complaint so far is that the default control setting is giving me fits, but that is a simple change in the options. I just have to figure out what works for me. For the price its a good deal.

I hope this doesn't start a trend where the big companies go "Yeah 1930's, that's the new hot ticket see!" and start trying to crank out their crap as I think that art and music style would far easier to screw up than get right.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Alright guys, I'm gonna say it. Don't fucking stop me, I'm gonna fucking say it.

Killer Instinct is better than any fighting game on PS4
Forza Horizon 3 is better than any racing game on PS4
Ori and the Blind Forest is better than any adventure game on PS4
Cuphead is better than any shmup/run & gun on PS4.

There...

I said it.

And it felt good.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
My PS4 will wait for Cuphead Ultimate edition or some shit. Unless it comes out for Mac first.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Alright guys, I'm gonna say it. Don't fucking stop me, I'm gonna fucking say it.

There...

I said it.

And it felt good.

I've had more fun with Sunset Overdrive then any PS4 exclusive. I like XB1 more than PS4 too. The controller, online service, interface, blu-ray player, etc all just feel better on Xbox to me.

Sure, PS4 has more games but a lot of it is just indie trash or Japanese shit that I'd rather play on Vita or not at all.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I like XB1 more than PS4 too. The controller, online service, interface, blu-ray player, etc all just feel better on Xbox to me.

Look, I'm glad that you guys like a thing but this is just not true. The UI for the XBone is damn near unusable and is universally hated. And that's AFTER 2 years of patches to unfuck it from the Kinect bullshit.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Look, I'm glad that you guys like a thing but this is just not true. The UI for the XBone is damn near unusable and is universally hated. And that's AFTER 2 years of patches to unfuck it from the Kinect bullshit.

Works great for me, only thing I don't like about it is that "Mixer" social media streaming thing or whatever it is. PS4 interface is a laggy mess.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Still enjoying/hating this game. I don't think I've ever been so frustrated by a game, yet enjoy it so much at the same time. I've just got to the 3rd world, and am currently on the Bee boss. I only had a few goes on this one last night and got right to the end of the bar, so I know I was only a few hits from beating it. This one shouldn't give me as much trouble as the damn dragon did.

Regarding console wars, I've only just got an XBOX One, but I do quite like it. Whoever said the interface is better though is wrong. I honestly find it so frustrating, slow and overly complicated. Other than that, I don't really see any pros or cons over the PS4, the only difference are the exclusives.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Bunch of fanboys, the truth is both UIs could be better, the first thing any UI should be pointing out is your games, not what douchebag #1 was playing, played or gonna play, don't give a shit, don't give a shit about the store, don't give a shit about music, movies or TV, I just wanna play games. If I wanna give a shit about the store I'll go to the god damn store. Just start with the games with the disc game ATM at the very tip top.

Personally I use the pins for my main apps like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, WWE, etc. This way I don't have to go through the mounds of useless apps in the apps slide, tab or whatever is called today.

Unfortunately this trend ain't going nowhere, all these companies want your money and what better way than to barrage you with shit from the get go, pfft...

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
truth is both UIs could be better, the first thing any UI should be pointing out is your games, not what douchebag #1 was playing, played or gonna play, don't give a shit, don't give a shit about the store, don't give a shit about music, movies or TV, I just wanna play games. If I wanna give a shit about the store I'll go to the god damn store. Just start with the games with the disc game ATM at the very tip top.
THIS!!! People wonder why I love retro gaming...because when I have 15 minutes to play, I don't want to waste that installing updates or system updates or whatnot. Few months back I came home from work, started up XB1...system update. Moved over to PS4...system update. You fucking kidding me!? OK fine, whip out the 3DS. System Update. AAAARGH!!!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh yeah, I think we all have been there. I leave my systems in rest mode sometimes just to keep up with the updates, unfortunately the 3DS can't do that.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I just bought it on Steam. I haven't gone with a new console this gen yet. (Shenmue III might make me break down and get a PS4 though).

Definitely cool to see a high profile release in this genre, and it does indeed look and sound great.

The gameplay took a little getting used to - for example, button mapping as mentioned, and which charm to equip. The smoke bomb is great, the heart, not so much. I hardly dashed at first, getting into some kind of perfectionist zone trying to kill every creature. Now I'm mostly dashing around some of the more annoying encounters.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection

There...

I said it.

And it felt good.
I agree with most of this. The XB1 gets a lot of uninformed internet hate. I suspect it's largely because of what a disaster the launch was. But there are some killer exclusives, and I like the controller a lot better than the PS4's. They did away with that massive battery tumor that was on the back of the 360 controller. No hate for the PS4 though, they've got some great exclusives too, not a fanboy or anything. But I'm frankly a bit tired of all the XB1 hate that gets spewed across different forums, I suspect mostly by people who haven't even played it. And Cuphead is fricking awesome.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Killer Instinct is pretty decent and I'm glad I can play it on Steam, lel.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I agree with most of this. The XB1 gets a lot of uninformed internet hate. I suspect it's largely because of what a disaster the launch was. But there are some killer exclusives, and I like the controller a lot better than the PS4's. They did away with that massive battery tumor that was on the back of the 360 controller. No hate for the PS4 though, they've got some great exclusives too, not a fanboy or anything. But I'm frankly a bit tired of all the XB1 hate that gets spewed across different forums, I suspect mostly by people who haven't even played it. And Cuphead is fricking awesome.

Are you sure moe is talking about the XB1, not the PC? Why would moe only play the worst versions of his favorite games? I mean, all of those exclusives are available and better on PC. It doesn't make any sense to me. If Bloodborne was available on PC, I wouldn't care about the PS4 version.

Spoiler:
1Tn14Zo.png

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Killer Instinct is pretty decent and I'm glad I can play it on Steam, lel.

Yes it is and it's pretty easy to play. Haven't figured out the combo system yet but I'm still able to pull off combos pretty easily.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Are you sure moe is talking about the XB1, not the PC? Why would moe only play the worst versions of his favorite games? I mean, all of those exclusives are available and better on PC. It doesn't make any sense to me. If Bloodborne was available on PC, I wouldn't care about the PS4 version.

Spoiler:
1Tn14Zo.png
Ha! I suppose he probably is. And I wouldn't know in these new cases, but I'd guess that games running on a high end gaming PC would play better than those running on a $200 console. I'm a console gamer though. Regardless, nothing to see here. Let the XB1 hate commence. Hahahaha

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Are you sure moe is talking about the XB1

Most of the time I'm not even sure what moe is talking about...and I've known moe for a really long time!