What's the most impressive game to show people who are new to the Neo?

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
As a N00b and new to Neo Geo, I would say Metal Slug 1-3. For kids, I would say Bust A Move.

for kids, the puzzle games would be good. also sports and racing games.

also platformers like blues journey, top hunter and miracle adventure

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
As a N00b and new to Neo Geo, I would say Metal Slug 1-3. For wives/girlfriends/other chicks, I would say Bust A Move.

Fixed that for you.

For kids, I'd say you could put just about anything on, and they'd be amused. I've had a few nephews, cousins, etc. that have been mesmerized by my Neo cab. They've mostly been interested in Metal Slug, Strikers 1945 Plus, and other intense action games.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Usually, I tend to ignore people who don't know the Neo Geo.

But the few times I have to introduce them to the scene, I chose Blazing Star because is probably the most impressive: it's easy also for the newcomers and the first boss approach is still outstanding.

Metal Slug is quite famous, it's hard to find somebody with a minimal VG interest who didn't already played it.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Either people get "it" or they don't.

Viewing the most advanced example of graphical prowess on a Neo Geo game is still going to produce a "LOL looks like Super Nintendo" reaction from most people.

It's funny you should say that, I was thinking just the other day how nowadays I struggle to see a great difference between the graphics on the Super Nintendo and the Neo Geo, but 20 years ago it seemed like I was looking at a different world when I saw a Neo Geo game running. Guess it's all just relative.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Blazing Star is a good choice, as is Garou and Metal Slug, but my top choice would have to be Last Blade 2. It really has a slick presentation and a style all of its own that I still find impressive.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
It's funny you should say that, I was thinking just the other day how nowadays I struggle to see a great difference between the graphics on the Super Nintendo and the Neo Geo, but 20 years ago it seemed like I was looking at a different world when I saw a Neo Geo game running. Guess it's all just relative.
Honestly, there IS a great difference.

Just play Street Fighter 2 on the SNES and then play the CPSII version for nearest comparison. Or play Fatal Fury 2/Special on the SNES, then the Neo versions.

It really is night and day with the majority of titles.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
And the voice will make them turn it off in a hurry. Neo shmups are not going to win anyone over, I’m sorry.
I thought the same thing I kept hearing BAWNOUS the moment I read blazing star.

Id suggest Viewpoint, Metal Slug X or Last Blade 2. These games are the prettiest imo.

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Don't forget Last Resort 2P mode and for people who rarely played fighters before RBFF1 is a good choice because of the chance of an easy "ring out" win.
Females are always hooked by Puzzle Bobble, Neo Bomberman and Neo Turf Masters in my experience.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

I think the difference was most apparent say around 1992-3 - especially the fighters had much bigger sprites, a lot of colour, faster gameplay and more going on on screen. The difference was probably amplified even more since most people in Europe were comparing a PAL 50hz system connected more likely than not by RF to a crappy TV to a Neo Geo cab running full speed on a RGB monitor.
Even so, later on and more towards the end of the SNES lifespan, one really does wonder whether the Neo Geo looked any better than the SNES or maybe it was the other way around (e.g. stuff like the Donkey Kong Country games).
And if we were to look more broadly at various genres and factor in the FX chip games, Mode 7 effects and even simple things such as transparancies I would have a hard time justifing the outright graphical superiority of the Neo Geo.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I'm surprised more people haven't said Shock Troopers. Two players, shoot everything, vehicles, knife people, bombs, easy to get the hang of, free play friendly, colorful, and usually it's hard to get them to stop playing, lol.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
heh I showed a girl Bust-a-Move once and she immediately said "oh I have that game on my iPhone!"

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Slugs do it best I think, giant sprites with lots going on. Most people who aren't hardcore gamers don't comment slowdown from what I've experienced. King of the Monsters is kinda cool too. Go punch that building!

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
And the voice will make them turn it off in a hurry. Neo shmups are not going to win anyone over, I’m sorry.

The voice is indeed a little annoying but the other day when i had a friend over, he really liked it, though he was a bit of a shmup-fan (yet doesn't own any retro console).

Actually now that i think of it, the games don't have to look good to appeal to non-retrogamers. Nam-1975 and Samurai Shodown 2 were some of my friends favorites. They liked the 'arcade feel' of Nam-1975 and Samurai Shodown 2 because it has samurai in it. Back then i didn't own Last Blade though.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Super Dodge Ball, fairly unique but simple to play, really colourful and full of (japanese) character, has a reasonable attract mode and you dont need to know about the Kunio story to understand what to do - ko the other team with the ball.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
In terms of impressing with graphics I would say last blade 2, especially the stage in the burning house.

Regarding intros I think the Real Bout 2 is the best.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Metal Slug 3 for excellent presentation and playability. And for people already more "in the know" I bust out Gunlord or Blazing Star.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Having introduced the Neo to a lot of people, including teenagers, The Last Blade and the Metal Slugs really did impress them graphics wise, believe it or not. But only people who are already into fighters cared to try Last Blade. I'd say stuff like windjammers and bust a move are good ice breakers for people that don't normally play games.

I always tell people windjammers is just pong with super moves.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Metal Slugs.

But again when comparing with Battlefield 4 on PS4 or Call of Duty, Neo looses the fight to impress for someone that doesn't love 2D graphics.
New generation gamers want to pee on our Neo games

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Today's gamers will show no interest to a 24-bit console.
It's like trying to convince them to use a walkman instead of an ipod.

But many younger people jump into vinyl collection..........

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Either people get "it" or they don't.

Viewing the most advanced example of graphical prowess on a Neo Geo game is still going to produce a "LOL looks like Super Nintendo" reaction from most people.

I get what you're saying and agree, but at the same time if you show someone a shit game like Legend of Success Joe and say this is Neo Geo and this is why the console is so awesome, they're gonna think all games are as shit as that one. I did recently go to a local meetup here and brought my MVS and games and most people were just like "Oh a neo geo...cool" and just kinda ignored it after that.

I think most are just spoiled by emulation, this wasn't a CoD crowd, it was a 'retro' gaming crowd. They'll never be able to experience that feeling of only having NES graphics at your house and then going to an arcade and being in awe at the amount of fluid animations and graphics.

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

Turn on samurai showdown on the neo and the SNES and tell me if you still think that. I use that for people all the time when they say that the SNES port is what they always played and they are blown away at the difference

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I get what you're saying and agree, but at the same time if you show someone a shit game like Legend of Success Joe and say this is Neo Geo and this is why the console is so awesome, they're gonna think all games are as shit as that one.

Yeah, I can't disagree here.

I did recently go to a local meetup here and brought my MVS and games and most people were just like "Oh a neo geo...cool" and just kinda ignored it after that.

I think that's just your average, modern-day retrosexual. Emulation could be to blame as you've stated, or age of the individual, or the lack of ability to discern a contextual difference between a sprite-based arcade game vs. a modern 2D indie game someone whipped up. Maybe they just say they "love" old video games, because they lack an identity?

Who knows?