What's the most impressive game to show people who are new to the Neo?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
lots of people really focus on smaller indie games. Many of which are low res and retro styled to boot.

Which tend to be the type of people that have little to no appreciation/understanding of legitimate 2D art styles.

"Ladies and gentleman, I present to you my new 2D indie masterpiece, Exaggerated-Blocky-Pixel-Retroman :Rebirth!"

pmindemann

New Challenger
Which tend to be the type of people that have little to no appreciation/understanding of legitimate 2D art styles.

"Ladies and gentleman, I present to you my new 2D indie masterpiece, Exaggerated-Blocky-Pixel-Retroman :Rebirth!"

All the more reason to educate them, right? :D

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Blazing Star. If the intro doesn't have an impact, the gameplay and graphics will.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I would show off games like metal slug, blazing star, motw, ss2 and some kof games

ive showed off my aes to many friends and they all seemed to enjoy the samurai shodown games.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Blazing Star. If the intro doesn't have an impact, the gameplay and graphics will.

And the voice will make them turn it off in a hurry. Neo shmups are not going to win anyone over, I’m sorry.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
1) Metal Slug whatever
2) Windjammers
3) Neo Turf Masters

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I introduced a Neo Machine to my friends game store where people mostly play Magic cards and Warhammer i., e., people with no interest or knowledge Neo-Geo.
Metal Slug was the only game that made any numbers in bookkeeping.

I will mention that Last Blade is a good game to have in there too. There was one kid there, about 15 years my junior, who would spout off about going to Evo and shit and indeed would rape face at MVV3. So, I called him out and hustled him at Last Blade relentlessly. Took him for many many quarters.

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
IMHO: Blazing Star, SSVS, Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug, KOF 98, MOTW

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have lots of fond memories of the Neo Geo from my youth. But many of today's gamers have no knowledge of the Neo. What do you guys recommend as a good "show off" game to demonstrate to these folks what the Neo can do, and what it's all about?

Prices are high enough already without encouraging more hipster noobs. Give them a good lashing on a SamSho I say.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
As long as they aren't new to the classic arcade game feel

* Windjammers
* SpinMaster
* NAM-1975
* Neo TurfMasters
* Metal Slug

all are great-looking, great-playing quarter-eaters. And, of course Fast Striker as the graphical showcase.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I have always loved the Rock Howard intro for MOTW as great and cinematic to impress anyone, but Viewpoint has a great look

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Usually I put someone brand new on Shock Troopers 1/2. Easy to play, lots going on, etc...

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
It's hard to impress people with graphics "wow" these days. I usually hook "regular" people with puzzle/vs games like Money Puzzle Exchanger, Magical Drop III or Wind Jammers and my fighting game friends with KOF '98, Garou or Last Blade 2. Metal Slug has probably the nicest looking sprite work IMHO. And a lot of people are familiar with the series, so I can sometimes lead with that.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Metal Slug 2

IMO its a great game but the slowdown kind of spoils it if one wants to show of the capabilities of the system - might create the false impression on someone not in the know that the NG is underpowered.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
IMO its a great game but the slowdown kind of spoils it if one wants to show of the capabilities of the system - might create the false impression on someone not in the know that the NG is underpowered.

landing-page-templates-hook-e1332976799879.jpg

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
MOTW and Metal Slug 3 are probably the most impressive looking, as mentioned by everybody, but I'm not sure their slightly slicker looks matter all that much in the modern world. I also I don't think there are many 'normals' out there who like fighting games, so there's half the Neo library out the door.

I think stupid-simple is better. Games that anybody can play and have fun with right from the beginning. My picks would be Aero Fighters 2, and Neo Bomber Man.