iPad: who got one?

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Played around with one at the Apple store today and I must say that I was impressed with it. iBooks is easier on the eyes than a Nook or Kindle, IMO, and I think it does color too, but not sure. YouTube videos looks really sharp on it too. Looked almost HD quality to me. Lastly, the games look great too. Played some Pac-Man and Plants vs. Zombies HD. Looks great and played quite well.

My verdict? Do I need one? No. Do I want one? Hell yes!

If they were about $150-$200 cheaper, I'd seriously consider buying one.

J. Max

judas,
I'd be willing to go double the price of a Kindle to $500. $700 is a bit much though for the limited functionality at this point.

I agree. I might consider one at $300, but even $500 is too much for such limited functionality. I appreciate what Apple is trying to do with it; it's essentially a console system and you have to think of it that way.

aria

Former Moderator
I definitely want to play with one, but I see no worries about being tempted into buying one.

Reading some of the other comments here, I think it would be nice if it provokes some improvements in other companies' devices (which is pretty much certain to happen).

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
So, iPad is a revolutionary way to do this everyday computing stuff WITHOUT operating a 'computer'. More comfortably. With much more mobility. In a much more leisure-like way. Talk about Columbus' Egg.
How is the iPad revolutionary? It's an evolution of an existing product, a laptop, it's not revolutionary in the least.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
How is the iPad revolutionary? It's an evolution of an existing product, a laptop, it's not revolutionary in the least.

How is a laptop revolutionary? It's an evolution of a desktop PC.

How is a PC revolutionary? It's an evolution of an abacus.

Not revolutionary in the least.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
How is a laptop revolutionary? It's an evolution of a desktop PC.

How is a PC revolutionary? It's an evolution of an abacus.

Not revolutionary in the least.

Man, you keep reaching like that and your arms are going to get really long!

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I was looking for a smaller/travel solution that could go on the web, watch netflix, and email while on the go. So far I'm enjoying my little net book.

Don't get me wrong. While I do enjoy the Apple Touch/iPhone concept, I'd rather have a net book than spend all that on iPad. If the iPad price was comparable to a net book with the same amount of HD space then I would be much more interested in it.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
You don't really know much about mobile technology, do you.

I must really be lost, because I don't even know what you're trying to imply. :scratch:

Oh, okay. I googled it. Apparently, Apple moved backwards from a programmable PowerVR chipset to a fixed-function ARM Mali. Wtf? Okay, sorry, I expected too much from them.

SSS

neo retired
How is this an evolution of a laptop? It sounds more like they just made an iPod you can't fit in your pocket.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like the idea but I'm not that crazy about something bigger than an iphone.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
My biggest issue with the iPad, and any recent Apple product for that matter, is the DRM like grip imposed on software. Open things up a bit King Jobs. With so many other superior, cheaper, and more open platforms available, I'm hard pressed to pick up an iPad.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
It's a concept i've been thinking about since i got my iphone last year, but i kind of envisioned it having things like usb ports and a more functional os. The fact that people waited in line over night for this garbage makes me a bit ill. Seriously boriqua. what the fuck is wrong with you.

I didn't wait overnight for anything. I live a block away from an Apple Store, I got up early on a Saturday, got a cup of coffee, and hung out with other geeks.

if this were a line for a game or a console, it wouldn't even be an issue.

On top of all of that, I'm using it right now and it's a really elegant way to surf the web. Most of the sites that I visit regularly have converted to Html5. Nytimes, CNN, YouTube, Netflix, they all work beautifully on the iPad.

I have access to exchange email accounts, calendars, word processors and office suites. I can do all of the things a net book can do with this thing and still have 8 hours of battery life to play Sam and Max.

There are a lot of legitimate issues with the iPad, but you're kidding yourself if you thing that we all won't be using something like this in the next couple of years. I don't have to justify my purchases on a site dedicated to a dead 80's game console that regularly charges hundreds for it's games.

So go play with one before you make your assumptions.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
I guess you could still technically call it an iPod...

Jnco175copy.jpg

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I didn't wait overnight for anything. I live a block away from an Apple Store, I got up early on a Saturday, got a cup of coffee, and hung out with other geeks.

On top of all of that, I'm using it right now and it's a really elegant way to surf the web. Most of the sites that I visit regularly have converted to Html5. Nytimes, CNN, YouTube, Netflix, they all work beautifully on the iPad.

I have access to exchange email accounts, calendars, word processors and office suites. I can do all of the things a net book can do with this thing and still have 8 hours of battery life to play Sam and Max.

There are a lot of legitimate issues with the iPad, but you're kidding yourself if you thing that we all won't be using something like this in the next couple of years. I don't have to justify my purchases on a site dedicated to a dead 80's game console that regularly charges hundreds for it's games.

You corrected your typos pretty quickly there, I take it you're on it now? :tickled:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,

It's a common defense mechanism to make excuses for something you just threw down 700 bones for.

BTW: OMG I'm posting this from my Blackberry. Difference is, I got mine for free and can even watch YouTube.

SSS

neo retired

except multitask and visit sites that use Flash, web cam etc.. but hey. all the same.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Why does anyone early adopt Apple products?

(Or anything really...)

More money than sense and pure fanboyism is all I can think of.

Makes no sense considering how much better the next generation of <Apple product name> always is.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I just think it's an oversized Iphone. Fuck apple. Charging money for something so stupid.

Chill out, dude. You know, it's not that anyone if forcing you, or anyone else, to buy one.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member

Apart from the NEOGEO being a '90's game console, not '80's, I would say your post is quite quotable in my book.

SSS

neo retired
I really don't hate apple. If anything I'm in awe over their marketing and ability to get people to shell out $$$$$ for shit that has no or even less advantages over cheaper products.

You can get 2 decent net books with a real operating system, 10" screen, usb drives, 160 gig HD etc. etc.. for the price of one of those supersized iPods. At least with a netbook you can set it on a table and type at a comfortable angle not all hunched over. But I'm sure Mr. Jobs has a titanium holder and bluetooth keyboard in the works that will set it up in a traditional laptop pose, and charge an additionall $199 for.