Worst '90s CD-ROM Console (addons included)

Worst '90s CD-ROM console

• Total voters

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The fact that a jaguar CD exists is depressing enough; the fact that the pippin and cd-i are worse is just impressive in a very sad way.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
No way CD-i is worse than Jag CD. Most people don't have a Jaguar, let alone an expensive and unreliable add-on with an extremely small production run.

The Jag CD got a new life from homebrew but if you had bought one in the 90s I can't imagine being happy with the purchase then.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Turbografx-cd came out in the 80s.

TurboGrafx-CD, last I checked, was released in 1990. There's a reason I wrote TGCD and not PCE CD.

And the Dreamcast in the 90s, but the bulk of TGCD games were in the 90s, as the bulk of Dreamcast games were post-2000. I assume that's what the poll is based on.

Dreamcast uses GD-ROM, doesn't count.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I've owned 8 of the systems listed and my CD-I & Jag CD are rarely played. I can't decide which one to vote for as both are worthy of the title.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
OK that saturn vote has to be a troll, it might be one of the best cd based systems ever (if you take into account the JP library of course)

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
OK that saturn vote has to be a troll, it might be one of the best cd based systems ever (if you take into account the JP library of course)

It's solid even without the JP library. Would be amazing if the US prices weren't so high.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Fighting Street was released in 1988 in Japan and 1989 in USA.

From what I recall Fighting Street, Monster Lair and most of the TurboGrafx CD units all have 1989 dates on them as that's when they were manufactured.

However, retailers were lukewarm at best to selling a 400.00 add-on peripheral to a newly released and not exactly hot selling game console. So it wasn't until 1990 that it was actually shipped to stores.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Among all those systems, 3DO was the worst I played on.
It was nice to play SSFII on it but that controller was just a disaster to play with.

And I agree, Saturn is a great system! :D

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Not the worst, but if Sega wasn't fucking retarded and didn't oversaturate the market with the Sega CD, things WOULD have been diffeerentl dammit

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sega's CD add-on (which I like, btw.) mainly suffered from a lack of 3rd-party support. Sega made a lot of announcement of games they wanted to release but only a few of them actually came out, and when the 3DO and later on the SAT and PSX hit the market, the Sega CD got dropped like a hot potato practually over night and no software studio could be arsed anymore to invest serious time into what they considered an outdated add-on.

The 32X shared the same fate, which is kinda sad in retrospect because both the CD and 32X add-ons had promising specs, they could have delivered some excellent games, too bad they came out way too late.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sega's CD add-on (which I like, btw.) mainly suffered from a lack of 3rd-party support. Sega made a lot of announcement of games they wanted to release but only a few of them actually came out, and when the 3DO and later on the SAT and PSX hit the market, the Sega CD got dropped like a hot potato practually over night and no software studio could be arsed anymore to invest serious time into what they considered an outdated add-on.

The 32X shared the same fate, which is kinda sad in retrospect because both the CD and 32X add-ons had promising specs, they could have delivered some excellent games, too bad they came out way too late.

They were add-ons, that's the problem and will forever be. People don't want add-ons to their consoles, they want only new ones. The lackluster sales to even the Wii U could be partially attributed to people wondering if it was an add-on or entirely new console.

I've never played the CD or 32x, truth be told. Even when I was a child I realized it was better to wait for a new console then to waste money on something that wouldn't have enough games.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
TurboGrafx-CD, last I checked, was released in 1990.

Not to nitpick, but believe it or not 1981-1990 is officially the 80's decade. The common calendar starts with the year 1, so 1-10 is a decade, not 0-9.

(ok yeah, I nitpicked. :) )

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I had the 3DO which was my first CD based console I owned. I really liked the system but it was horrendously expensive at the time. Trip Hawkins had a vision but it was an expensive one :)

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Not to nitpick, but believe it or not 1981-1990 is officially the 80's decade. The common calendar starts with the year 1, so 1-10 is a decade, not 0-9.

(ok yeah, I nitpicked. :) )

Let's be honest here: the eighties didn't end until 93. ;)

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Let's be honest here: the eighties didn't end until 93. ;)

Heh, I'm down with that. You're right, there was a weird shift around that time. No "decade" as we see it falls firmly into the 10 year chunk we like to compartmentalize them in. Like the sixties we all think about... really was about 1964ish into the early 70's.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
They were add-ons, that's the problem and will forever be. People don't want add-ons to their consoles, they want only new ones. The lackluster sales to even the Wii U could be partially attributed to people wondering if it was an add-on or entirely new console.

I've never played the CD or 32x, truth be told. Even when I was a child I realized it was better to wait for a new console then to waste money on something that wouldn't have enough games.

I bought a Mega CD a year or two after its original release and later on a 32X so I experienced all the problems with them first-hand. Setting up the whole lot was a bit annoying, you couldn't just leave it connected because some older MD games wouldn't run when plugged into a 32X, there also were some incompatibilities with certain Euro versions of CD titles, and don't get me started on the territory protection shenanigangs with my imports.

Some CD and 32X games were really cool IMO, like Bari-Arm, Mortal Kombat II, Star Wars Arcade, Dungeon Master II, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Doom, Metal Head, Kolibri, the Annet games, Sol-Feace, Snatcher, etc., software support was decent at first but it soon dwindled down to one release in six months, then Sega released the SAT which marked the end of all add-on support.

I didn't mind add-ons back in the day, even though the 32X was quite expensive at first so I had to wait for a while before I was able to afford one. I was also quite interested in the Neptune but as we all know it never left the proto stage which saved Sega yet another financial disaster.

In retrospect, it would have been more lucrative for Sega to concentrate on the SVP chip, Virtua Racing looked great on MD and was a blast to play, too bad they never made another game with it. They could have prolonged the MD's shelf-life with it similar to Nintendo and their Mode-7 games or release carts with higher meg count while they developed the Saturn and should have skipped the Mega CD and 32X alltogether. Then again, I couldn't say that I didn't have any fun with the add-ons, they gave me countless hours of entertainment, back then I didn't care for all that technical specs crap anyway but just wanted something that gives me cool new games to play. I probably could have saved myself lotsa Deutschmarks that would have been better spent elswhere, but hey... the world of video games wouldn't be where it is now without nutters like me who have put lotsa money into questionable stuff over the years... :)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member

What's your opinion on the rumored 64-bit add-on for the Saturn? It was constantly mentioned in EGM and Next Gen.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
No way CD-i is worse than Jag CD. Most people don't have a Jaguar, let alone an expensive and unreliable add-on with an extremely small production run.

The Jag CD got a new life from homebrew but if you had bought one in the 90s I can't imagine being happy with the purchase then.

The Jag CD gets a worse rep than is needed about it being unreliable. You can thank the AVGN for that. I got one from a forum sale, took it apart, cleaned the PCB that goes into the Jag and haven't had a single issue with it since. That'll solve most problems unless the laser dies, in which case its easily replaced. The thing is the Jag CD, unlike the Sega CD, doesn't actually add anything to the system other than larger games. Which mostly all suck other than World Tour Racing, Hover Strike and Iron Soldier 2.

Edit: I remember the Sega CD getting a bad rep BITD because it was considered a system that mostly offered FMV garbage, but now it's largely considered a decent system with good games. Of course that'll never happen with the Jag CD, but interesting to see the change in the system's reputation.

Last edited:

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
The Jag CD gets a worse rep than is needed about it being unreliable. You can thank the AVGN for that. I got one from a forum sale, took it apart, cleaned the PCB that goes into the Jag and haven't had a single issue with it since. That'll solve most problems unless the laser dies, in which case its easily replaced. The thing is the Jag CD, unlike the Sega CD, doesn't actually add anything to the system other than larger games. Which mostly all suck other than World Tour Racing, Hover Strike and Iron Soldier 2.

Edit: I remember the Sega CD getting a bad rep BITD because it was considered a system that mostly offered FMV garbage, but now it's largely considered a decent system with good games. Of course that'll never happen with the Jag CD, but interesting to see the change in the system's reputation.

FMV garbage or ports of Genesis games. I remember being unimpressed with Ecco the Dolphin on it. I did think shit like Tomcat Alley was awesome, though. Hasn't aged, but kid me had a blast.