Worst '90s CD-ROM Console (addons included)

Worst '90s CD-ROM console

• Total voters

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The worst handhelds poll had me wondering about those old CD-ROM consoles. You know, the multimedia hype machines. Did anyone here fall for the marketing on any of them back at launch?

LaserActive not included, last I checked its actual games (not Sega CD or PCE CD) are on LaserDiscs.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Of those, I own:
SEGA CD, CD-i, Neo Geo CD, Jaguar CD, 3DO, Saturn, and Playstation.

I'd have to say Jaguar CD is the worst of that group, simply because it's expensive and has the smallest selection of games. I still like mine, though. Useful for homebrew.

EDIT: Worst overall would have to be the Pippin. Crazy expensive and next to zero games to enjoy.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
CD-i, hands down. What a piece of steaming crap, both hardware and software-wise.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
There's no way the CD-i is worse than a Pippin or Playdia. It at least has some decent games (Tetris, Lemmings, Flashback, Namco collection, Burn:Cycle, Pac Attack, Thunder in Paradise, NFL Replay, etc), even if a lot of them are available elsewhere.

I can't conceive of someone actually having fun with an Apple Pippin.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
CD-i Absolutely.

The pads alone are above horrendous in any single way.
Plus, it's the only console that truly stained the name of Zelda and Mario games.
It deserves the crown just for that alone...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
There's no way the CD-i is worse than a Pippin or Playdia. It at least has some decent games (Tetris, Lemmings, Flashback, Namco collection, Burn:Cycle, Pac Attack, Thunder in Paradise, NFL Replay, etc), even if a lot of them are available elsewhere.

I can't conceive of someone actually having fun with an Apple Pippin.

Well, I've never seen a Pippin in action, let alone played one, so I can't tell whether it's worse than the CD-i or not. From the consoles and add-ons I've owned/played over the years I enjoyed the CD-i the least.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Well, I've never seen a Pippin in action, let alone played one, so I can't tell whether it's worse than the CD-i or not. From the consoles and add-ons I've owned/played over the years I enjoyed the CD-i the least.

This. Fuck the CD-i.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
It's a toss up between the CD-i, Playdia, and Pippin for me.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
At least the CD-i came out in 1991. The Pippin doesn't look much better and came out in 1995. Imagine if the Dreamcast were released and it was closer to a PSX than a PS2.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
CD-i Absolutely.

The pads alone are above horrendous in any single way.
Plus, it's the only console that truly stained the name of Zelda and Mario games.
It deserves the crown just for that alone...

I'm not saying I like the CD-i.
But I'll defend it just a little bit here.

First off the pads, there's a few different controllers. The one I have is almost identical to a first generation Sega Genesis pad.
eXzuMoN.jpg

Some models of CD-i came with this controller later in its lifespan.

With that said. The CD-i wasn't initially intended to be a game console. It was intended to be a cheap competitor to Personal Computers taking the space, size and at the time incredible amounts of data and multimedia available with a CD-ROM format and providing it to consumers at an affordable price without requiring an expensive dedicated monitor, or many other components that went into PCs.

Once it had totally failed at this task, yes they marketed as a game console and it was terrible at it. But that wasn't the original intent of the product, that's also why the wireless remote isn't a good game controller for example, it was meant for navigating menu's in infotainment, not for playing quick to react action games.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'm not saying I like the CD-i.
But I'll defend it just a little bit here.

First off the pads, there's a few different controllers. The one I have is almost identical to a first generation Sega Genesis pad.
eXzuMoN.jpg

Some models of CD-i came with this controller later in its lifespan.

With that said. The CD-i wasn't initially intended to be a game console. It was intended to be a cheap competitor to Personal Computers taking the space, size and at the time incredible amounts of data and multimedia available with a CD-ROM format and providing it to consumers at an affordable price without requiring an expensive dedicated monitor, or many other components that went into PCs.

Once it had totally failed at this task, yes they marketed as a game console and it was terrible at it. But that wasn't the original intent of the product, that's also why the wireless remote isn't a good game controller for example, it was meant for navigating menu's in infotainment, not for playing quick to react action games.

I had that controller and it's crap. There's absolutely no way to deny it.
It's a craptastic controller. Period ;)

The Jaguar pad looks hideous, but at least it feels comfortable. That one is really terrible.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I voted for the CD-I.Philips,sure didn't know if they wanted it to be a console or just for interactive media.Beside the awful controllers it had really what were they thinking,with that system.Sad part being they had the late,phil hartman do a commercial for them :eek:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
CD-i, hands down. What a piece of steaming crap, both hardware and software-wise.

There was Burn Cycle though, but as they used to say exceptions prove the rule. Plus the debunking Nerd review... well, hands down for the CD-i ;).

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I could only include consoles I've had experience with. I voted 3DO. Cool device, killer audio/visuals on cd music playback, but worst library ever. I had 48 games and they all sucked, except Samurai Shodown, which I already had on NEO. Bought it in a bundle. Sold it as a bundle too.

But based on the Zelda games, I could see why CDi would be voted as worst. I've just never experienced one personally

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I got to play Wand of Gamelon on a real CD-I when I was a kid at a CompUSA.

I thought it was neat to see a Zelda game on a non-Nintendo item, but the controls were fucking terrible and it was a hot janky mess.
Never played a pippin, but I'd argue that the Pippin was inoffensive, if pointless, while the CD-I was an active menace to games in general.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
I voted for the Pippin, as far as I remember it only had shit games. Pretty close to the CD-I. At least the CD-I had many different and funny hardware version like a portable :D

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I voted for the Pippin, as far as I remember it only had shit games. Pretty close to the CD-I. At least the CD-I had many different and funny hardware version like a portable :D

I voted Pippin as well, as it was intended to be a game console by default.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
CD-I if you're including hype as a factor. The Jaguar CD is a steamy turd, but by the time it came out nobody in their right mind thought the Jag had any chance of surviving.