Worst '90s CD-ROM Console (addons included)

Worst '90s CD-ROM console

• Total voters

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Was there Tempest 2k for Jag CD? I thought it was cartridge only.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Pladyia was just terrible. My friend had one and to this day i ask why?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Was there Tempest 2k for Jag CD? I thought it was cartridge only.
The game itself was cartridge only but there was a special edition soundtrack CD that was bundled for a short time.

Tempest 2000 is still incredible, and better than the PS1 or Saturn versions of Tempest X. Still in my Jaguar now, and it looks awesome in RGB.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I actually like Hotel Mario. It really requires the three button controller, but if you've got one it's really a fun arcade platformer. It shares much more in common with the original Donkey Kong or Mario Bros than Super Mario Bros.

The cut scenes are obviously bad-good but I enjoy the game on the whole.

The three Zelda games are as bad as people say though... possibly worse.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The game itself was cartridge only but there was a special edition soundtrack CD that was bundled for a short time.

Tempest 2000 is still incredible, and better than the PS1 or Saturn versions of Tempest X. Still in my Jaguar now, and it looks awesome in RGB.

The T2k soundtrack was a pack-in with the Jag CD. Blue Lightning (shit), Vid Grid (largely shit), Myst Demo (shit) and the T2k ST CD.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I sort of regret selling my Saturn collection last year. Pretty killer Japanese collection with it too. I just never....ever....played it. And I have become a firm believer in only collecting what I'll use or play. I started owning so much shit that it began owning me.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
T2k on the Jaguar is great but I also love the PSX version Tempest X3 which is even more psychedelic and weird than the JAG original.

The best modern-day version of these games is Minter's Space Giraffe on 360. Awesome game that I've played like mad and still do every now and then.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Tempest X has awful AI for your little drone partner and the power ups are nerfed. 2000 all day, erry day

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
The Jag CD gets a worse rep than is needed about it being unreliable. You can thank the AVGN for that. I got one from a forum sale, took it apart, cleaned the PCB that goes into the Jag and haven't had a single issue with it since. That'll solve most problems unless the laser dies, in which case its easily replaced. The thing is the Jag CD, unlike the Sega CD, doesn't actually add anything to the system other than larger games. Which mostly all suck other than World Tour Racing, Hover Strike and Iron Soldier 2.

Edit: I remember the Sega CD getting a bad rep BITD because it was considered a system that mostly offered FMV garbage, but now it's largely considered a decent system with good games. Of course that'll never happen with the Jag CD, but interesting to see the change in the system's reputation.

The Jag CD gets a bad rep because there's just a little over single digits in terms officially released games for it.

Added in edit: On a side note I've not had any sort of reliability problems with it either. But it's not had much use in the nearly 20 years I've owned it for there to be a lot of wear and tear.

Last edited:

madman

The Jag CD gets a bad rep because there's just a little over single digits in terms officially released games for it.

Added in edit: On a side note I've not had any sort of reliability problems with it either. But it's not had much use in the nearly 20 years I've owned it for there to be a lot of wear and tear.

I meant specifically a bad rep about its reliability. Which is why I phrased it like I did. And yeah, the games for it are mostly horrible and there were only a handful of releases, even less worth actually playing.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Amiga CD32

just because I watched a vid on it the other day. It was shit game, after shit game, after shit game.

But I bet the Pippin and Playdia are even worse.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
the only real answer is playdia. i got some time on one. about 35 titles total including 6 that never sold anywhere. each one worse than the next. at least all the other systems have at least one redeeming title.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I love how everybody who bashes the 3DO and CDI has never played one and just heard about them on badly misinformed youtube videos. Both systems had their faults yes but it is because of them we have the advanced consoles that we have today. CDI especially in 1993 with it's FMV playback.

madman

I love how everybody who bashes the 3DO and CDI has never played one and just heard about them on badly misinformed youtube videos. Both systems had their faults yes but it is because of them we have the advanced consoles that we have today. CDI especially in 1993 with it's FMV playback.
Yes, where would modern gaming be without FMV games.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Yes, where would modern gaming be without FMV games.

Well now every time you play a modern game it has interactive cut scenes. FMV where they originated from.

Last edited:

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Slightly off topic, was Burn Cycle (CD-I) and Aliens vs Predator (Jaguar) ever released on other consoles or PC?
I remember playing them for some 15 minutes at kiosks at The Good Guys when they were still around.
Kind of want to play them again.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
lol modern gaming

360/PS3/XBone/PS4 are nothing but fully realized CD-is and 3DOs.

Seconded! Granted good games exist for the system, like Raiden IV, but not at all worth the buy, even for how cheap last gen stuff is going for now. 90% of what's good made it to Steam, and the rest are just inferior to their 2D predecessors.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The 3DO was on of the worst, as it was so overhyped and overpriced. But I suppose it was one of the consoles that brought on the 3D/32bit era. It had a decent version of SSF2T.
Why would you even have the Saturn and Playstation on a list like this? The Playstation was the first successful 3D/32bit multimedia console, and the Saturn was also a popular and powerful console.
I was going to say the 32X CD was the worst, but that's not on the list, and it's technically not separate add-on hardware. Any console associated with the 32X has to be one of the worst, as the 32X was deceptively sold to people as a real next gen 32bit system, and it contributed to the eventual downfall of Sega. The Jaguar/Jaguar CD was also sold as a 64bit system, so that's one of the worst as well, even though it had a few good games, most didn't take advantage of its potential power.
The Sega CD was also one of the worst, at least in sense that Sega didn't sell that many. It had a few good games like Sonic CD, but there was the missed opportunity where Sega could have corrected one of the biggest flaws of the Genesis- the low number of colors onscreen.

Last edited:

madman

I was going to say the 32X CD was the worst, but that's not on the list, and it's technically not separate add-on hardware. Any console associated with the 32X has to be one of the worst, as the 32X was deceptively sold to people as a real next gen 32bit system, and it contributed to the eventual downfall of Sega. The Jaguar/Jaguar CD was also sold as a 64bit system, so that's one of the worst as well, even though it had a few good games, most didn't take advantage of its potential power.
The Sega CD was also one of the worst, at least in sense that Sega didn't sell that many. It had a few good games like Sonic CD, but there was the missed opportunity where Sega could have corrected one of the biggest flaws of the Genesis- the low number of colors onscreen.
I don't know why I'm bothering to respond to this. By your logic of "any console associated with the 32X has to be one of the worst" you must mean the Genesis/Mega Drive was one of the worst consoles. I disagree with that.

There was little to no "potential power" left to be discovered with the Jaguar. Yes, many of the games used mainly the 68k processor, but there were a number of other issues with the console and its architecture/hardware bugs. Its 3D capabilities were weak at best. There are many things that went wrong with the Jaguar, the technology was only one part of a much larger problem.

Sega sold 2.7 million Sega CD units. I'd say that's pretty damn good. As mentioned before, the system took a lot of heat BITD but it has plenty of good games that still hold up.