What is your guilty pleasure Neo Geo game?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Personally I wouldn't rate GP as a guilty pleasure. It's a simple 1942-style vert shmup that really has its moments and does the trick if you need a quick shmup fix without having to cope with a fancy engine. It may feel dated now and also did to some extend back in the day but technically as well as visually, its a solid game in my opinion.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I have Ghost Pilots on homecart so at the very least I can pause the game. It's is one of those games that require bathroom breaks. XD

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I can pause it, too. I have unibios.

Chris

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I like GP, it reminds me of Sky Shark a lot. I heard that it's possible that Toaplan might have made Ghost Pilots, true?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
How about the 161 in 1 multicart. I feel like such an asshole putting that into my Neo Geo: all the bootleg games and Chinese hardware. The boards in the game cart are a little bit bigger than on a standard mvs cart.
Right. But it makes you want to own the original carts even harder to avoid damage to your Neo...

you tap for light attack, hold for hard attack. You can create some nice simple combo's this way: j.k/p, cr.lp, cr.lk, cr/st.hp into special :)
Awesome - learing something new every time I read these forums.. thanks, will have to give that a try!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm going to say Ninja Combat. I find myself always popping this one in. There is something about this game that just keeps me coming back to it. Ninja Commando is another one.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I love Ninja Commando, the button hammering gets slightly tedious after a while, though. Good ol' Commando-style vertical-scrolling shooter.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Ninja Commando is absolute not a guilty pleasure. That deserves an insta-ban! It's one of the Neo's best games, very nice shooter.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Ninja Commando is absolute not a guilty pleasure. That deserves an insta-ban! It's one of the Neo's best games, very nice shooter.

I have never played this game and looked up a video just now. It looks pretty entertaining. I thought I finally had all the MVS titles I wanted after I got Magician Lord but I think I might try to nab a copy of this now.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I love Ninja Commando, the button hammering gets slightly tedious after a while, though. Good ol' Commando-style vertical-scrolling shooter.
PS2 HRAP Arcade Stick with auto via PS2-Neo adaptor Tak, eh? ;)

I imagine the same will apply for Blazing Star too, as that employs the same bash harder to hit harder strategy...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Depends on which character you pick. Some characters do faster damage with charge shot break than with the rapid fire shots.

Attachments

• Blazing Star-2.jpg
    Blazing Star-2.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 134

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
PS2 HRAP Arcade Stick with auto via PS2-Neo adaptor Tak, eh? ;)

That's cheating! :eek: ;)

Yeah, guess the game plays much better with autofire. Don't have a stick or adaptor combo that has that function, though.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
That's cheating! :eek: ;)

Yeah, guess the game plays much better with autofire. Don't have a stick or adaptor combo that has that function, though.
Just helps take your mind off the primary/required function and chore of having to constantly hammer the fire button as fast as is possible... and enjoy playing the game itself.

Although, there are players who prefer the mash, mash, mash (authentic part of the game experience) but it doesn't interest me. Presumably, modern console shooters (SAT & PS1 onwards) have ruined/spoiled me...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
A title that others think is a shit game but you love it.

Mine, Ninja Combat. It was the first Neo game I played so I have very fond memories of it.
Fatal Fury (I like the music and sound effects, and also the way your special moves do so much damage).

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Mine would half to be Ninja Combat aswell very close second Super Spy. :emb:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Most definitely The Super Spy. I love that game. Burning Fight as well.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I actually don't consider that many game on the Neo to be crap, but if you're going by the general consensus than it would have to be Ashita no Joe/Legend of Success Joe. I find the overly complex controls intriguing. I mean there was four action buttons and they only used two, why? Instead of using the additional two buttons for different punches they instead decided to use every directional plus A or B to make a slew of punches. Then there's the AI, which by all accounts is brutal in the later levels. I do like how the game switches up from street fights to the boxing ring, adds a bit to the otherwise clunky gameplay. For a game being based on an anime it's about what you could expect, Dragonball Z being a prime example of botched franchise games.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Burning Fight.. so cheesy it's good.

Gan Gan... reminds me of Violence Fight which I used to play at a bowling alley

Double Dragon... based on the corny movie and has a corny lady announcer. However it plays well and nice colorful palette.

Football Frenzy... kind of like a ghetto/poor man's Tecmo Bowl arcade version.