What is your guilty pleasure Neo Geo game?

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I really love to play:
Galaxy Fight
Aggressors of DK
Andro Dunos
Riding Hero (story mode)
Stakes Winner
and... Treasure of the Caribbean
I don't think the World Heroes serie should be mentioned in this thread.

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Burning Fight. Its like that girl you bang because when you turn the lights down just right she looks like Cameron Diaz. If you squint at the screen and stand at a 45 degree angle with a monocle in your left eye, you will swear you are playing Final Fight.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Galaxy Fight... well, the borderless levels seem like a neat idea at first but actually it's not that great. The partly interesting lineup gets spoiled by a whacky engine and a ridiculously unfair CPU AI if you play it in 1P. Ah well... it's not Fight Fever or LoSJ bad, you can actually get some fun out of it if you casually play it in 2P with a like-minded friend, and be it just or a good laugh. That is what my friends and I sometimes did on our weekly gaming meets. The big guy with the face of a snapping turtle and his anims are hilarious, as are the rest of the cast. I wonder what they were smoking when they put the lineup together. It's like Red Earth on acid.

How come people rag on Galaxy Fight for having super difficult AI, yet Art of Fighting 2 gets a free pass? That game is the Neo's most frustrating single player experience. If I ever try to play it, it just makes me feel like smashing the cart with a hammer.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Magician Lord and baseball stars

Magician Lord is not a guilty pleasure. It's a good platformer. Do you think that Megaman is a guilty pleasure, or do you simply not understand that a guilty pleasure is strictly reserved for shitty games? I'm not sure if you get it.

How come people rag on Galaxy Fight for having super difficult AI, yet Art of Fighting 2 gets a free pass? That game is the Neo's most frustrating single player experience. If I ever try to play it, it just makes me feel like smashing the cart with a hammer.

The AI is not as bad as the gameplay in galaxy fight. The way things move with a low framerate, the existence of any animation is a surprise.

AF2 is a terribly shitty experience. The gameplay is crap.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Can Waku Waku 7 be called a guilty pleasure? I know it is not liked by all but ain't considered a bad game either.
I really love this game and playing with Mauru (which reminds me to Totoro) puts a smile on my face. :-)

Holy crap, dude. :hammer:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
People shouldn't confuse Japanophile games (TSS, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Pochi & Nyaa, Waku Waku 7) games with guilty pleasures.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

AoF2 is purely pattern-based, you can beat it with your eyes closed with the right strategy.

Like the Temjin pattern: Jump, kick, Jump, kick, etc.

Whereas Galaxy Fight's AI is a cheaty piece of code.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
A game isn't very fun when you have to learn how to abuse a CPU AI's programming, right from the very first opponent you fight...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fighting games are all about 2P. I love to play AoF2 with a friend, the tap-hold system is right up my street, and it's actually deep as hell, you just don't notice it if you only play it versus the CPU.

Pulstar is entirely pattern-based as well and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Guess it boils down to taste, eh.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
A shooter makes more sense with patterns... Fighting games shouldn't work that way.

I must be crazy trying to enjoy Neo fighters by myself then. I love Fatal Fury 1 because of that, one of the only fun single player fighters I've played so far.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Wait, tap-hold? I don't think I learned that. Can you elaborate on that?
Can never tell if PPL are being serious or not, but he means like with the earlier WH's titles, you tap for light attack, hold for hard attack. You can create some nice simple combo's this way: j.k/p, cr.lp, cr.lk, cr/st.hp into special :)

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
Holy crap, dude. :hammer:

OK, sorry. Seems I hurt some feelings here.
But you wouldn't believe how often I heard that Waku Waku 7 has no good fighting engine, the characters are too cartoony, not enough fighters to choose from etc. etc.
Thats why I considered it to fit but it seems I got myself into hot water with that. :emb:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Can never tell if PPL are being serious or not, but he means like with the earlier WH's titles, you tap for light attack, hold for hard attack. You can create some nice simple combo's this way: j.k/p, cr.lp, cr.lk, cr/st.hp into special :)

What he said.

I love the tap-hold system a lot, fits to my synth-keyboard-drum-playin' fingers. :)

A shooter makes more sense with patterns... Fighting games shouldn't work that way.

I must be crazy trying to enjoy Neo fighters by myself then. I love Fatal Fury 1 because of that, one of the only fun single player fighters I've played so far.

I also play these games in 1P, nowadays more than 2P because of a serious lack of people who can be arsed to play these games. AoF2's pattern-based gameplay is no real exception, many fighters, shmups and even platformers were like that back in the day. On the Neo, the most prominent example for a pattern-based platformer would be Magician Lord.

In other words, if you don't go with the flow in AoF2, it's very, very hard to beat the game in single player mode.

It's just that these games were/are labelled with the genre description "versus fighting" (at least in Japan) for a reason, it's all about 2P, and this is where the dev'ers usually put the most attention into. Later on things changed dramaticall, just take a look at the KoF series. KoF94 and 95 have heavy patterns as well but things changed starting from 96 onwards, up to the dumbed-down AI of 2k1 and 2k2 (except for the bosses).

Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I don't want to get banned.

Many people (as shown earlier in the thread) hate SNK vs Capcom. I really like it. And it's true that the control is not nearly as tight as the one in King of Fighters. But I like the backgrounds, their names, the fact that they are desolate, the dialogs before the matches, the announcer's voice, and probably most of all, the fact that I can fight (or control) Capcom characters drawn and controlled in SNK style.

I have up until last week, hated that game for years, after doing nude palace and forest of green, they just gave up and on level 8 the bosses are way too cheap, owever I have been using the capcom fighters this week for a nice change and getting use to hugo and I did enjoy it a bit more.

Don

Camel Slug
How about the 161 in 1 multicart. I feel like such an asshole putting that into my Neo Geo: all the bootleg games and Chinese hardware. The boards in the game cart are a little bit bigger than on a standard mvs cart. It really feels like I'm fucking my Neo with a big black cock every time I put the damn thing in. But once it's in, it's in.

It's definitely a guilty pleasure.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
A lot of people seem to dislike Ghost Pilots, but I like it a lot. Not sure if its considered bad enough to be a "guilty pleasure" though.

Don

Camel Slug
A lot of people seem to dislike Ghost Pilots, but I like it a lot. Not sure if its considered bad enough to be a "guilty pleasure" though.

I would vote for ghost pilots as a guilty pleasure because it's a fun game but not fantastic. There are definitely better vertical shooters with the same style. The game gets very repetitive. The backgrounds are very generic and the music gets really fucking annoying. I always have to put something else on when I play it.

Its a great game to play but it becomes a serious chore to beat. I would say the same thing about crossed swords and super spy.

I would even say that about magician lord. I got so fucking pissed at that game when I went through it.

There is this part on either the last or second to last stage with tiny floating platforms and baddies. If you get knocked off it resets you. It has got to be ten times worse then guts mans stage on MM1.

snkmiami

New Challenger
to me Ninja combat is that kind of game I love the graphics the music and the bold colors but for some reason I get tired after 20 mins then after a few weeks I do the same I know is crazy but I like to have it on my collection is a good game but something is missing maybe the enemies are too easy or the magic is too powerful i guess.

sorry for my english :)

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I think you're spot on with this. I'd say Ghost pilots is borderline guilty pleasure, but more over the guilty side of the line than not ;)

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I just think GP has a cool old-school flavor. It is to Aero Fighters 2 what Cyber Lip is to Metal Slug. Has a lot more of a 16-bit feel, which I like.