What is the most you would spend on a single game?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
No more than $200 now. I'm sure I've paid more in the past but overall I won't exceed that amount and even then it's got to be something special.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I don't know, really. I mean I doubt most people really have a maximum limit that they strictly follow.
It all just depends on circumstances like the condition of the game, your perceived value, seller's credibility, your financial situation at the time, etc.

That being said, I don't think I've ever spent over $100 for a disc-based game. Maybe Radiant Silvergun or Ibara I might, but again it all comes down to condition, etc.

For cartridge games it's much more complicated.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
My mother... I mean, what do you expect? We're adults now and as long as our families are secured, sky's the limit.

Conceptually, I completely agree.

But from a practical point of view, due to the boot and conversions diffusion, I think that nowadays the depth and width of the ass are the true limits.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yes, tis happens when harmless nostalgia turns into masochistic lifestyle... with but a drop of insecurity originating from the doubtfulness of our own life's meaning -- not dissimilar to my empty phrases.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Paid $150 for Rondo of Blood back around 2001. No regrets. Paid about the same for Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn) 2-3 years ago. Had some regrets. Probably wouldn't spend $150 or more on anything except for a few MVS titles.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I really don't mind if a game costs a lot if it's I think it's a good investment that will hold it's value.

jason_vorhees_friday_the_13th_axe_by_madnessabe-d9c1j0j.jpg

Hubes22

New Challenger
I paid $1,500 for JPN Metal Slug 2 roughly a year and a half ago. Max I would spend would probably be 3-5k. If I did drop that amount I wouldn't be buying another game for 9-12 months.

Ghudda

New Challenger
I paid $1,500 for JPN Metal Slug 2 roughly a year and a half ago. Max I would spend would probably be 3-5k. If I did drop that amount I wouldn't be buying another game for 9-12 months.

This shit baffles me, but I can definitely respect it in a sense. Reminds me of the classic childhood "one game every six months" approach to gaming, which really made me value games more than I do now. I envy people who can value a game so much as to invest and dedicate an entire year to a single game.

I, on the other hand, find that most of my collection consists of $50-$120 games. I'd like to stop focusing on quantity, and instead purely focusing on quality, even if it means a single game every couple of months. At the same time, a video game experience is just rarely a multi-hundred dollar experience to me. Interesting to hear yalls opinions for sure.

titan

n00b
This shit baffles me, but I can definitely respect it in a sense. Reminds me of the classic childhood "one game every six months" approach to gaming, which really made me value games more than I do now. I envy people who can value a game so much as to invest and dedicate an entire year to a single game.

I, on the other hand, find that most of my collection consists of $50-$120 games. I'd like to stop focusing on quantity, and instead purely focusing on quality, even if it means a single game every couple of months. At the same time, a video game experience is just rarely a multi-hundred dollar experience to me. Interesting to hear yalls opinions for sure.

Feel exactly like you dudes.
Prices won't let me justify to buy games more frequently than every other month.
But learning to play a fighter properly takes even longer than that unless one has no other obligations.

All in all a much more satisfying experience.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
really depends on the game im after.

most ive spent so far was $250 each for u.s. kof 95 aes and jp voltage fighter gowcaizer aes

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
There are too many variables when buying games for myself. I don't buy any games unless all the bills, food and mortgage are paid that month. I can spend $0 one month and thousands the next. If I find a quality game that I like at a fair price and I can afford it, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll pass. No way would I pay thousands for a game unless it was a holy grail that I've been looking for years...and even then, I could find dozens of better things to do with that money.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
Sorry, that was for wyo_vr4. I have spent 1300 usd on darius alpha. Part of a sick gotta collect'em all feeling for the supergrafx. Now I want to sell it, but I can't bring myself to do it. I have darius plus so I wouldn't be missing anything, but I just feel like I have something exceptionally rare. Classic hoarder mentality. 900 on ss0s for mvs. I feel I got ripped off, but do not regret it. I don't plan on going that high many more times, but I'm afraid of what's going to happen when I finally find a pochi and nyaa.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
around $500 / 500€. That's the max I paid and willing to pay for a single game as maximum. (Razion, KOF XI for atomiswave)

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
Now I fully grasp your avatar choice ;).

I would gladly trade it for a stack of mvs ultra rares. That's all I see when I look at it, how much better it could be.:drool_2:

As far as the avatar, that's how I feel in this bright new Neo world it walked into, happy and stoopid.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
For me, I separate it by arcade and console game.

I won't spend more than $100 on any console game (this has kept me from playing Blast Wind.)

I won't spend more than $200 on any single arcade game. There are some exceptions to this, like with Naomi as the needed parts added up to over $200, but I didn't buy them all at once, so it didnt feel so bad.

I have a collection that doesn't quite have everything I want, but it makes me happy and I didn't break the bank for it, so It's a win.

Last edited:

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
About 125 euro: Rondo of Blood, Saturn SFZ3, Battle Garegga.

I've recently paid 120 euro for a megadrive cart, a japanese Musha Aleste.

The moment it arrived at home I decided to stop spending this amount of money in a single game. Heck, 500 euro in four games, omg.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I really want to buy TMNT: Turtles in Time (arcade version) now that i have a dedicated Simpsons cab and that will probably be the most i will pay for a single game. I hope i can get the pcb around the $400 range.

mr.2jz

n00b
I think the most I recently paid was around $200. Looking at my shelf of games, I can't even remember what that was for...

Next up would have been $100 for a mint shape copy of Einhander on PS1. Of course which I had many many years prior, and sold (of course without knowing).

I'm thinking maybe $300 would be tops. There might be a rare exception....though. Our CDN $ is awful at the moment. :(

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Shit for the longest time it was $50 max. But Anything over $100-150 I have a hard time with. I think the most ever for me is $150 on a really nice copy of Super Star Soldier complete with original box for turbografx, that hurt but I love that game right down to the box art.

But in the future I truly dont see myself spending more then $200, maybe $300 tops if its something really amazing

Last edited:

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
$400 for AES SSVS unfixed. Next most expensive was probably AES SSIV at $200, bought at the same time. I don't recall buying any game exceeding $100 on any other system.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Shit for the longest time it was $50 max. But Anything over $100-150 I have a hard time with. I think the most ever for me is $150 on a really nice copy of Super Star Soldier complete with original box for turbografx, that hurt but I love that game right down to the box art.

I'm glad I don't give a shit about boxes or region, I just paid $20 for a loose JP Super Star Soldier.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
My limit these days is around $125, $150 is feasible, but it has to be damn good like radiant silvergun. For that reason, I am glad I collected neo in the early 2000's. Cause it wouldn't happen now. I don't think I ever paid more than that for a neo cart except sam sho v special mvs. Which is I think the most I have ever spent on a game.