What is the most you would spend on a single game?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
The topic on how AES collecting has become out of reach for most got me thinking about what would be the most I could ever spend on a single game.

Currently the most I have ever spent on a game is £220 for Sengoku 2. I've also spent just over £300 on a pre-order of Kraut Buster, but that's kind of different.

Thinking about the maximum, I don't think I could ever spend more than £300 on one game, and even that would have to be something special like Sengoku 2001 or Garou (I know, no chance!).

So what would be your limit? Or if the right game came up would you not have one?

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Kraut Buster is the most I've spent and will spend, which means my Virtual Boy collection will never be complete. At some point it's just not worth it.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
For me the most I've spent was about 600 US on an AES mark of the wolves that I have since sold to a friend but recently (6 months or so) I bought a legit progear cps2 cart for 400 and I would say my cutoff these days is about 500 I'm always about quality over quantity I don't own a ton of games anymore but what I do have is good stuff

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Or if the right game came up would you not have one?

My mother... I mean, what do you expect? We're adults now and as long as our families are secured, sky's the limit. What is the most you spend on alc, fags, cheating or other useless things adultery has to offer within popculture's endless supplies? There's no difference between a full glas of Glenfarclas '55, Natalie McLennan, a 918 Spyder or medical cocaine and a video game, but thinking sure makes it so.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Sure there is. There's return on investment. Can I afford $1,000 for one of the rare JP Virtual Boy games? Yep. But I'd rather spend that money elsewhere and get more enjoyment out of it.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Spent £500+ loads of times a few years back.

But for that i got games like Pulstar and Ninja Masters. Not Fatal Fury and League bowling like today.

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
Metal Slug 3 and Metal Slug X (AES) and 20th PS4 anniversary edition (in Portugal a percentage was endorsed for adapted sport institution).

Slugs are the pinnacle of run'n gun games. There's so much in artwork, design, gameplay, challenge. Both are my favourites from a long long time and both are mint.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Probably a grand.

Most I've spent is around the 600 mark.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Nowadays my limit is around £200. Anything else can be emulated.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The most I've spent on one game was $130 for a Slug 5 MVS cart. I'm a cheap bastard, but I've realized most of the good games are going to cost a pretty penny, which has made purchases fewer and farther between.

Most I've spent on a disc game was $106 for Radiant Silvergun, which was a one off eBay auction. I think I'd spend way less on discs than carts or PCBs as they aren't as easily fixable in the long run. My most would probably be $120 for a disc game and $400 for a really rare game.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The most I've ever spent on a single game was $800 for SSVS (new MVS kit) followed by $600 for Pulstar (AES). Both are obscene amounts and I only did it because I was getting a "deal". If one of the mega-expensive AES games (eg. Metal Slug, Big Tournament Golf, Blazing Star, etc.) came up in this range, I'd do it again. Thankfully, such items are usually snatched before I see them and rarely, if ever, pop up in the first place.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The most I have spent was $130 for a Super SF2 cps2 board. Theoretically, there are a few Neo home carts I would spend up to $400 on, but those carts will never be had at those prices again.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The most for me has been (and it will ever be) the LE Razion MVS I got new and the LE Kraut Buster MVS, followed by Knight's Chance MVS and a used Gunlord MVS I got from NGDev themselves. I got them because I knew I could get again the money if I did not like it/them. So far I have liked Razion a lot, so I even opened and enjoyed the CD with the soundtrack, because I know it will not be resold :). Same for Knight's Chance. I have not enjoyed Gunlord all I thought I would, however. Let's see how KB does.

Regards.

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
In the past i've limited myself to $200. Currently I don't think I would even go that far. Just have too many other hobbies and interests.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My max is now $47.99 with Gamers Club Unlocked.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
The problem with the Neo is that it's the nerd equivalent of a hot chick - you have limits and then you see some label/cleavage and you become dumb as fuck and spend waaaay more than you should.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Maybe he meant his whole collection is worth that? AFAIK no single game is worth so much, that's more than a new BMW's worth!

:lolz: just pictured some one exchanging a bmw for an mvs cart.

for me it all depends on the situation. usually i limit my self to around 」80. but at the moment i'm trying to finish off my mvs collection, so i don't mind spending around 」150 to add a game like strikers or aero fighters 3 to my collection.

Last edited:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
The most I have spent on a game is about $350 Canadian, which today amounts to about $250 USD. I was in Tokyo hanging out at G-Front and did not want to leave empty-handed. They had some cheap MVS carts in a bin, but they were titles that I already had or did not want. The clerk barely spoke any English, and I spoke zero Japanese - so I pointed to a list and chose one of the good games I could recognize from it. Final Fight CPS1.

I don't think I would go higher than that for an MVS game, but I would consider going higher for an arcade board as it's both the computer and the game combined. Easier to justify the cost ;-)

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I too would qualify as a cheap bastard so my limit would be around the £100 mark, luckily for me i scored just about all the snes and megadrive games i wanted back years ago when the prices were very cheap (compared to now).
When it comes to the neo i've had a NGCD for years and again scored just about all the games i wanted many years ago (barring ironclad), but with aes and mvs i'm kinda new to the scene, and although i knew the games were expensive i didn't fully realise the amounts that people will pay for the desirable carts and i have neither the funds or the inclination to pay those prices, it really is a realm populated by hardcore fanatics.
The guy fakk here on ng.com who took out the big arse loan to buy games was staggeringly stupid to me to say the least, mind blowingly fanatical and way outta my league.