Vote on the worst shooter for Neo Geo

Worst Neo Geo shooter

• Total voters

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I find Ironclad pretty awesome actually. It has the same kind of "best of this and that tribute" mix as Shock Troopers (it's mostly the same team IIRC), solid gameplay mechanics, an excellent scoring system, first rate sound track, plenty of levels... It's pretty much A Tier in my book - but the pre-rendered graphics are what they are. Not sure they're any worse than Pulstar's or Blazing Star's though?
He was probably thinking of Saurus's later games like Pleasure Goal and Shock Troopers 2nd Squad which not only use CGI pre-rendered graphics but they often look janky with a bizarre art direction and frame rate.

I know Prehistoric Isle 2 isn't a Saurus game but it sure feels like it.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
I voted for Ghost Pilots. It does nothing memorable and feels like a mediocre 1980s SNK arcade game that somehow jumped to the Neo Geo.

That was actually what happened with NAM-1975, which started off as a regular arcade title. Ghost Pilots came out almost a year after the Neo Geo launched, though, so it probably didn't have the same history.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Maybe nowadays, that anachronism makes Ghost Pilots interesting.

You don't have to buy a dedicated board of an 80s SNK shooter like Sky Soldiers or Alpha Mission 1 or Bermuda Triangle, you could just get Ghost Pilots for Neo Geo instead.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'll accept Gun.Smoke philosophically as a shmup but it doesn't feel like it when you have your "ship" walking on solid ground (save yourself the trouble and don't mention Mr. Heli please lol) and your "ship" is a person shooting other people. But anything else is a bit of a stretch IMO.

I'm glad Sage confirmed Ninja Commando didn't autoscroll, I thought I was going crazy for a moment.
I see your point on the walking aspect. Sisters Royale from the Castle of Shikagami Devs is an interesting recent one as it is a walking character but more of a shooter than anything else

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I'll accept Gun.Smoke philosophically as a shmup but it doesn't feel like it when you have your "ship" walking on solid ground
It's weird I've never really considered Gun.Smoke a shooter. Yet I've also never not considered Guwange a shooter.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
It's weird I've never really considered Gun.Smoke a shooter. Yet I've also never not considered Guwange a shooter.
We did both in 2019 for SOTM:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The mere consideration of NAM-1975 casts a shadow of doubt over the credibility of this thread
Where is NAM-1975 on the list? Was it removed?
I think it's a decent shooting game, especially considering it was the first Neo Geo Game.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Where is NAM-1975 on the list? Was it removed?
I think it's a decent shooting game, especially considering it was the first Neo Geo Game.
It's mentioned in the OP.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Honestly, the shooters on the Neo tend to bore me in general with the exception of Ninja Commando and Aero Fighters II.

Viewpoint is the one that consistently makes me quit after one minute of playing every time, so it gets my vote.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Honestly, the shooters on the Neo tend to bore me in general with the exception of Ninja Commando and Aero Fighters II.

Viewpoint is the one that consistently makes me quit after one minute of playing every time, so it gets my vote.
Skill issues..:

butthurt coconut

Zero's Secretary

I don’t get why Ninja Commando is so sloppy. Why so much screen tearing? What happened?

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
i'm gonna assume it's smokehouse. the bra probably affects his breathing and trigger squeeze and his aim probably sucks from constantly checking his neighbor's home improvements on facebook.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
To be honest, I wasn't expecting Captain Tomaday to get so many votes, it never seemed that bad to me. Prehistoric Isle 2 is much more grating. Tomaday at least tries something original.

I haven't played Ghost Pilots in forever, I should check it out again and see if it actually is bad. I'm inclined to believe Tak, it must have some merit.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
Gee... Ghost Pilots 44%... When you compare the love for GP, and for the classics it mimics, something really went wrong...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Perhaps they were rushed, or ran out of budget...?
Maybe rushed to some degree, but their games all have a particular janky style and look to them, so I'd chalk it up more to just how the developers made software for it in general.

Most ADK games, at least IMO, are pretty meh, especially early titles not named Magician Lord.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
A lot of the early Neo Geo games feel rushed, like SNK and ADK were trying to fill the console library.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I'll accept Gun.Smoke philosophically as a shmup but it doesn't feel like it when you have your "ship" walking on solid ground (save yourself the trouble and don't mention Mr. Heli please lol) and your "ship" is a person shooting other people. But anything else is a bit of a stretch IMO.
Elemental Master and Undead Line on Genesis/MD do this as well, with the auto-scrolling. I consider them shoot em ups.

butthurt coconut

Zero's Secretary
Maybe rushed to some degree, but their games all have a particular janky style and look to them, so I'd chalk it up more to just how the developers made software for it in general.

Most ADK games, at least IMO, are pretty meh, especially early titles not named Magician Lord.
Twinkle Star Sprites rules tho! Of course that was a later game. Didn’t ADK help design the neo? Seems like their software wouldn’t be so sloppy if t‌hey knew t‌he hardware so well.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
"Sloppy" is going too far. In general, ADK games on the Neo are not bad. They just usually aren't the greatest either. Their games always maintained a certain level of skill and care.