Vote on the worst shooter for Neo Geo

Worst Neo Geo shooter

• Total voters

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Rules: must be vertical or horizontal auto-scrolling so no Metal Slug or Shock Troopers, also must not be buried in a compilation game so no 19YY from ADK World, also no homebrew or indie releases.

NAM-1975 is a shooter but is more its own thing, it goes with Operation Wolf more than it does Pulstar.

Choose.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
There's quite a few I don't jive with on that twist. Prehistoric Isle 2, Ghost Pilots , Captain Tomaday, they are not my style. Worst to me is probably Andro Dunos, just because of how unremarkable it is.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Even Shinkiro’s take on Deer Hunter De Niro for the game’s art is a below average effort. Nothing saves Zed Blade

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
How are you going to say Zed Blade is the worst when Ghost Pilots exists? It's not even close to being the worst either.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The mere consideration of NAM-1975 casts a shadow of doubt over the credibility of this thread
Metal Slug and Shock Troopers were also mentioned, but all were called out as exclusions because they don't fit the category here.

So you'd be OK with those other games making it in here?

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Damn... I'm between Andro Dunos and Captain Tomaday, but i'm gonna vote for Captain Tomaday as (in my opinion) the most unremarkable shooter on the Neo Geo. Not the worst, but unremarkable compared to other releases by Visco.

At the very least Andro Dunos got better game with its sequel.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You need to shoot the terrain to score... But the retardedness of it is still somewhat fun.
Also, the OST is more than averagely brain-damaging:
I haven't played it in forever, but couldn't forget this dope track. This soundtrack can get it.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have a hard time deciding between Ghost Pilots and Alpha Mission 2. They're both so bad that I actively hate them.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Captain T is a fuggin insult. I still remember people hyping that pos up.
unreall.gif

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Alpha Mission II gets shit on often but for 80s style rollover I think it’s pretty darn good. Collecting three pieces of the weapon armor is a challenge but when you complete a set the bads aren’t having a good day.
Finally someone who gets it, the armors are where it's at, that and not dying, heh. It sucks a bit getting thrown back to the super weak standard shot but hey.

I love the game.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Ghost Pilots, I even sperged about it once.

Finally someone who gets it, the armors are where it's at, that and not dying, heh. It sucks a bit getting thrown back to the super weak standard shot but hey.

I love the game.

Game doesn't deserve all the hate it gets, even if it's too long. Also the first level's music is one of my favorite game songs of all time.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Captain T is a fuggin insult. I still remember people hyping that pos up.
unreall.gif
Late Visco games in a nutshell. Captain Tomaday, Ganryu, Bang Bead. They all have nice colorful graphics and decent presentation. They look good, but then you play them and they feel unfinished -- short and mediocre.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ghost Pilots, I even sperged about it once.

Game doesn't deserve all the hate it gets, even if it's too long. Also the first level's music is one of my favorite game songs of all time.

To be fair, the game can be very frustrating, up to a point when I wanted to sell the cart for a tenner just to get rid of it, it really pissed me off at times. However, if you've had enough practise and manage to survive a level or two with a good selection of armors and fully powered up, it's all the more rewarding, just feels friggin' awesome. I like the graphics and the overall style which sort of has a foot or let's say a toe firmly in 8bit territory, specially in terms of difficulty.

The only way to survive the game is to practice a lot, it's mainly pattern-based (not in every aspect, mind you). Some parts or even whole levels can be beaten way easier with the right armor so it's best to try them out and see what works for you. The amount of time you have to put in the game to see its finer point may be a bit too high for some and that's fair enough but I still think it's worth it.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
The fact that Captain Tomaday came out in 1999 and Ghost Pilots was an early Neo game I gave Ghost Pilots some slack.

I wish Viewpoint had something extra beyond gameplay which is good, and as others have said I really liked the Andro Dunos sequel.