Vote on the worst shooter for Neo Geo

Worst Neo Geo shooter

• Total voters

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Captain Tomato is an insult to the hardware and consumer 19 years after the release of the hardware.
It is on the level of a Home brew masquerading as an official release.
BB

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Most of the later non-fighter releases on the Neo are kind of sad. Nightmare in the Dark gets a lot of love, but it's still just a 20-minute single-screen Bubble Bobble clone with only five stages. Pochi & Nyaa feels well-made, but fails at gameplay. The quality of those late Visco releases just doesn't surprise me.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
All I know is Prehistoric Isle 2 is not only ugly but the "music" is absolutely horrendous. It blows me away that anyone was lining up to buy AES conversions of it back in the day.

Also Strikers 1945 Plus uses clip art and fonts from Microsoft Power Point, that is inexcusable.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm glad you didn't include NAM-1975 or else I'd have to murder you.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'm glad you didn't include NAM-1975 or else I'd have to go back to this hell again
Fixed it for you

is Ninja Commando technically a shooter, or would you say it has more in common with a game like Commando or Ikari. It’s kind of a hybrid run and gun.

Also is Twinkle Star Sprites a shooter with puzzle elements or a puzzle game with shooter elements? I would say more of a shooter but it does have Bust A Move style puzzle competition. Not that TSS would get voted as worst shooter on the Neo.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The mere consideration of NAM-1975 casts a shadow of doubt over the credibility of this thread
My point here (aside from the implied endorsement of NAM-1975) in this thread is including Nam as a "shooter" is fucking dumb because we know what genre we actually came to talk about here. Putting Ghost Pilots and NAM-1975 in the same conversation is like comparing Dynamite Duke to Rayxanber 3 or Spinal Breakers to Raiden II.

Which begs the question: WTF is Ninja Commando doing here, does it even auto-scroll, per the thread's criteria?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Have either of you even played Ninja Commando? It absolutely auto-scrolls, vertically, the characters cannot shoot sideways or behind plus the default attacking method is shooting projectiles.

It is functionally equivalent to other vertical shooters like Aero Fighters, except it has an elaborate ninja theme with characters walking on the ground rather than flying, still plays the same.

If Gun.smoke on the NES is a vertical scrolling shooter, which it is, then Ninja Commando counts even more.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Have either of you even played Ninja Commando? It absolutely auto-scrolls

It is functionally equivalent to other vertical shooters like Aero Fighters, except it has an elaborate ninja theme with characters walking on the ground rather than flying, still plays the same.
I read this and made a :spock: face

Bud, Ninja Commando does not auto-scroll.

The game is one of a kind, taking inspiration from Mercs-esque games and shmups. Having elements of both while being neither.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Have either of you even played Ninja Commando? It absolutely auto-scrolls, vertically, the characters cannot shoot sideways or behind plus the default attacking method is shooting projectiles.

If Gun.smoke on the NES is a vertical scrolling shooter, which it is, then Ninja Commando counts even more.
I'll accept Gun.Smoke philosophically as a shmup but it doesn't feel like it when you have your "ship" walking on solid ground (save yourself the trouble and don't mention Mr. Heli please lol) and your "ship" is a person shooting other people. But anything else is a bit of a stretch IMO.

I'm glad Sage confirmed Ninja Commando didn't autoscroll, I thought I was going crazy for a moment.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I literally just played it thirty minutes ago to confirm I wasn't crazy either.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What’s the deal with Saurus? Shock Troopers is so good, and has such nice sprites. The rest of their catalog is booty pre-rendered stuff that no one really likes.
They must have been enamored with Donkey Kong Country.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I reviewed a YT longplay on it, no I don't have my AES 161 cart on hand, ok so I was wrong that it autoscrolls, it is therefore more like shock Troopers or Commando or Ikari Warriors.

I could have sworn it autoscrolled... maybe it's one of those Mandela effects.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

Have you played it? I recently got it on NGCD.

What you're describing is a very different game.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I have played it tons before, have owned two copies of it for MVS, but then the universe changed on me and now it doesn't autoscroll.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
I voted Captain Tomaday, but Ironclad sucks balls.

What’s the deal with Saurus? Shock Troopers is so good, and has such nice sprites. The rest of their catalog is booty pre-rendered stuff that no one really likes.

I find Ironclad pretty awesome actually. It has the same kind of "best of this and that tribute" mix as Shock Troopers (it's mostly the same team IIRC), solid gameplay mechanics, an excellent scoring system, first rate sound track, plenty of levels... It's pretty much A Tier in my book - but the pre-rendered graphics are what they are. Not sure they're any worse than Pulstar's or Blazing Star's though?