The shit-pile that is the NGX - A Retrospective

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I surely felt violated and ripped off by Tommo no doubt about that. I've been collecting and gaming for more than 20 years and I have never in those 20+ years laid my hands on such a fucking useless cheap piece of trash. If I hadnt found a buyer for this garbage I probably would have thrown it out.

This guy is NeoX Forum Member of the Month material.

MrRobotFactory

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ha ha. Yeah. I'm just glad I got rid of that pos. Been a long time lurker on this board. Finally joined the forum a couple of days ago to let of some steam. NGX: the biggest buyers remorse I've experienced.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I applaud you sir for your courage to finally end the silence and speak out against this despicable creation. Other sufferers can at least take comfort in the fact that they are not alone and that freedom from this seemingly never ending misery is possible. Glad you're here and congratulations.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
siWSKev.png

Last edited:

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
i think I ended up playing this for a grand total of 8 hours over the course of 2 months before it went back in the box. I'll pick up the compilation pack when it's hits the amazon bargain bin for $5

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I sold mine on eBay for less than half of what I paid for it after playing it only a few times. I feel like an idiot for the fact that I jumped on the bandwagon for full retail price... I originally had a lot of enthusiasm for it just because of the whole docking station - that it was another TV in the house I could equip with neo-geo playing abilities. I later just decided to hook up my old Wii to that TV, download 10 titles from the VC, and purchase an arcade stick for it. I basically bought games that I don't have on MVS, AES, or on the NeoGeo Station (ps3). For portable playing I have my PSP with custom firmware running the emulator and of course the retail compilation discs too. I tell you what if that thing was more easily hackable, (I had the fw 370) had the correct screen size/aspect ratio, and a killer HDMI output quality it could have been a great little toy to use for a while.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Pipes, I think you pulled the trigger too early on starting this thread. Today would have been a beautiful launch date.

MrRobotFactory

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ahaha thanks for the title and the trophy. Where are my manners? Allow me to introduce myself. Started gaming on the Atari back in early 80's. I played the shit out of Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory on the Atari and it was one of my favourite game back then. Then I got the Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 and played the shit out of those before finally moving on to consoles and have been gaming and collecting stuff since then. At the moment I got 55 MVS carts in shockboxes and inserts purchased from the nice guys at Southtown Homebrew. My favourite genre is the shmup genre and I collect all kind of shmup games across various consoles.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Pipes, I think you pulled the trigger too early on starting this thread. Today would have been a beautiful launch date.
Not really.

I think this thread was all part of... 'the plan' ;)

Our utmost congratulations and gratitude are forwarded to our very own, hardworking and dedicated, NGX mod: single-handedly taking down the NGX global empire, one vertical scanline at a time...

I sold mine on eBay for less than half of what I paid for it after playing it only a few times. I feel like an idiot for the fact that I jumped on the bandwagon for full retail price... I originally had a lot of enthusiasm for it just because of the whole docking station - that it was another TV in the house I could equip with neo-geo playing abilities. I later just decided to hook up my old Wii to that TV, download 10 titles from the VC, and purchase an arcade stick for it. I basically bought games that I don't have on MVS, AES, or on the NeoGeo Station (ps3). For portable playing I have my PSP with custom firmware running the emulator and of course the retail compilation discs too. I tell you what if that thing was more easily hackable, (I had the fw 370) had the correct screen size/aspect ratio, and a killer HDMI output quality it could have been a great little toy to use for a while.

Hey this thing is hackable. Easily so. Improving the HDMI, sound, loading legally owned backups, and getting rid of scanlines can be done in one and half hours. You won't be able to find the instructions in English and if anyone posted them here I think they would be banned. But now that the device is, out of production, maybe the modding scene can condense that fifty page thread about how do actually do it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Hey this thing is hackable. Easily so. Improving the HDMI, sound, loading legally owned backups, and getting rid of scanlines can be done in one and half hours. You won't be able to find the instructions in English and if anyone posted them here I think they would be banned. But now that the device is, out of production, maybe the modding scene can condense that fifty page thread about how do actually do it.

Or you can burn them all in a large fire.

Not in my opinion. I took a look at what's required. I'm not so into it as to go through all that.

You dont need to do much. If you have a 370, you can install dingoo os without even opening it up. Then take a sd card mod and load up anything you want.
If you have a 337, you can install the firmware that puts the corrects the resolution on the screen and hdmi, changes the hdmi to linear instead of bilinear, improves the sound, gets rid of scanlines, etc...

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
You dont need to do much. If you have a 370, you can install dingoo os without even opening it up. Then take a sd card mod and load up anything you want.
If you have a 337, you can install the firmware that puts the corrects the resolution on the screen and hdmi, changes the hdmi to linear instead of bilinear, improves the sound, gets rid of scanlines, etc...

*Goes through all the work to turn NGX into Dingoo*

*Realizes...should have just bought Dingoo*

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Your relentless attempts to convert those that have already washed their hands of this filth is quite amusing. I applaud the effort though. It seems as though you are driving the empty bandwagon around town trying to pick up anyone you can, enticing them with beautiful words like 'dingoo'. I hope you find peace with your Tommo handheld one day, even though it appears to be a lonely journey.

Your relentless attempts to convert those that have already washed their hands of this filth is quite amusing. I applaud the effort though. It seems as though you are driving the empty bandwagon around town trying to pick up anyone you can, enticing them with beautiful words like 'dingoo'. I hope you find peace with your Tommo handheld one day, even though it appears to be a lonely journey.

If you want better HDMI, correct screen resolution, and the ability to load other games, then it is the only way. It may surprise you, but I am certain there are people who would want those improvements without risking the bullshit 500 update. I didn't create the NeoGeoX. Perhaps your animosity would be better directed at those who did, not those trying to support mods and homebrew. "Driving a bandwagon" would be someone trying to convince others to go out and purchase the NGX, which I would likely not do. Pointing out what has been accomplished on this forum is not "driving a bandwagon". There are still active posts in the hacking thread just two links above this one, so I would imagine that people on this forum are still interested in looking into it.

This is the forum that hacked the device right? Seems like the right place to talk about actually using those hacks.

Last edited:
*Goes through all the work to turn NGX into Dingoo*

*Realizes...should have just bought Dingoo*

Yes you are correct. A regular Dingoo is way better. Really the only mod that is worth doing is upgraded HDMI and screen resolution firmware mod, just dont destroy the MicroSD card mount in the process :)

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I'm actually picking up a Neo Geo X for $100 with 2 Controllers.

You should have kept that to yourself, you will get no respect from members on here buying garbage. Do yourself the honourable thing and don't waste your money on it, you'll thank me later.